Rumor: Toronto, Nashville, Utah, NY Islanders teams with interest in Maxim Shabanov

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I might need additional scouting reports here but my first instinct is - but why?

24yo, 5'8, 157lbs with okay KHL numbers.

Doesn't exactly scream NHL regular to me.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
I might need additional scouting reports here but my first instinct is - but why?

By KHL scoring standards, his numbers are very good and so far this season he's over a PPG/top 5 in scoring.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009

Propped up by Rangers legend Kravtsov

Reactions: Soundgarden

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
By KHL scoring standards, his numbers are very good and so far this season he's over a PPG/top 5 in scoring.
Nicolas Petan has the same number of points in one less game, for context's sake.

Petan potted a whopping 7g and 35pt in 170 NHL games. Just so we're clear.

Reactions: Seattle King

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
So can he sign in the nhl for this season?

Unless he terminates his KHL deal, it'd be for 2025-26.

Low risk, he'd have to sign a 1 year ELC. If he didn't pan out, it wouldn't really set the signing team back. Ie recent guys like Mikko Lehtonen or Anton Levtchi came and went. Not every guy is going to be a Panarin/Kuzmenko.

With undrafted free agents, it feels like there can be some misplaced expectations if there are multiple teams interested. Brian Burke termed it the free wallet. My analogy is if there was a new pizza place giving away free slices; Just because there's a long line doesn't necessarily mean that the pizza is great.

Forsbergaura21

Jul 20, 2024
The KHL is a pretty tough league, saying someone has to be 20 or under to be encouraged by their production there is pretty harsh. Obviously teams see something here
That’s correct. I believe Panarin was 23 when he transitioned to NHL. Putting up a point per game or more in KHL at 24 is not bad at all…

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
The KHL is a pretty tough league, saying someone has to be 20 or under to be encouraged by their production there is pretty harsh. Obviously teams see something here
I mean, I get that. Mikhail Ilyin ran 0.5ppg as a 18yo and I was super stoked for that. But he's also 6'0, 180lbs, and 18yo.

This seems like looking at overage in the WHL or OHL that potted 90+ as a 22yo.

Not dogging the guy, I'm just saying, I don't get what the attraction is there. Does he have Kane/Datsyuk hands, McDavid speed, Lundqvist's good looks, BizNasty's podcast skills? Just wanted more info.

Rich Nixon

No Prior Knowledge of "Flyers"
Jul 11, 2006
Key Biscayne
Nicolas Petan has the same number of points in one less game, for context's sake.

Petan potted a whopping 7g and 35pt in 170 NHL games. Just so we're clear.
And? The KHL is a tough and weird league. Fringe NHLers often produce well over there. Because fringe NHLers are some of the best players in the world who...aren't currently in the NHL. So if a player is producing better than those guys, there's a chance that they themselves could be a fringe NHLer...or even an NHL regular!

Hence the reported interest.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
And? The KHL is a tough and weird league. Fringe NHLers often produce well over there. Because fringe NHLers are some of the best players in the world who...aren't currently in the NHL. So if a player is producing better than those guys, there's a chance that they themselves could be a fringe NHLer...or even an NHL regular!

Hence the reported interest.
But I mean, he's not outproducing a fringe NHL'er...that was my point. He's got the same pts at Petan in 1 more game. Petan was a long-time NHL fringe player. I mean, I guess a guy can come over at 24yo+ and make it but also at 5'8 157lbs, I wince and question how likely it is.

To the point of - why bother?

Any of those teams could have claimed Lavoie, Poulin, Suzuki, ZAR, or Adam Gaudette and got a player with just as much impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad