Eemeli Rasanen
Leafs' 1st round draft pick of 2019

Toronto Maple Leafs
Jeff Petry
Canadiens' 4th round draft pick of 2019

Last edited:

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
A 1st rounder and a bunch of crap for a solid 3D signed for 3 more years? Yea not happening.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
Habs have zero interest in Hainsey and Leafs have zero interest trading him. You're on the right track with a 1st rounder and a prospect like Brooks/Rasanen, but Leivo doesn't hold a lot of value anywhere right now, especially not Montreal who are strong down the wings but weak virtually everywhere else lol

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
From the Leafs PoV I would be interested in a 1st+Rasanen type of package for Petry. May need to send a contract back or something.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
From the Leafs PoV I would be interested in a 1st+Rasanen type of package for Petry. May need to send a contract back or something.

Something that's seemed to work for both sides is 1st + Rasanen + Horton + 2nd/3rd or along those lines, possibly a bit of retention from Montreal's side. I think Rielly-Petry would work really, really well and then you can have Hainsey baby sit Zaitsev or Gardiner. I honestly think Dermott is already better than both of them at this point overall and should be their number 2 the way things currently sit

43Kadri43

Jun 15, 2017
Something that's seemed to work for both sides is 1st + Rasanen + Horton + 2nd/3rd or along those lines, possibly a bit of retention from Montreal's side. I think Rielly-Petry would work really, really well and then you can have Hainsey baby sit Zaitsev or Gardiner. I honestly think Dermott is already better than both of them at this point overall and should be their number 2 the way things currently sit

lol

firstemperor

May 25, 2011
A 1st rounder and a bunch of crap for a solid 3D signed for 3 more years? Yea not happening.

A first rounder and trash. That doesn't get you Petry who you would be buying high on. Especially from a division rival.

I'm not sure if the OP edited his post, but I'd be geniuinely surprised if Petry gets a lot more than 1st + the equivalent of ~2 2nd rounders in Brooks and Rasanen.

Hainsey, while not valuable to the Habs, is important for our team as well.

You two need to re-evaluate what you can expect to receive in a package for Petry. He's not getting much more than a late 1st+....maybe (and this is being a bit optimistic IMO) a bubble team that's going to pick in the teens might give up their 1st in the teens.

Also, the package your criticizing is already richer than Hamonic's deal at first-glance (save the Calgary becoming a lottery team aspect)......for a player who is older, and makes a lot more than Hamonic.......and for a deal that in hindsight, looked pretty terrible.

Ziggdiezan

Apr 10, 2015
If Montreal was willing to do a bit of retention I would do that deal 100%

I think they Leafs would run:

Rielly-Petry
Gardiner-Haisney (boss last year)
Dermott-Zaitsev

I don't think Dermott is better than Gardiner yet. Played far far easier QoC and far less ATOI. I think Dermott is pretty much a lock to become a top 4 defender at this point but he isn't ready to take over Gardiner role, I.e. leading the team in ATOI at even strength.

Dermott may struggle when not facing exclusively 3rd or 4th lines, which is natural for a young defender but ya he isn't ready to face whoever Matthews faces which is what Gardiner plays against.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If Montreal was willing to do a bit of retention I would do that deal 100%

I think they Leafs would run:

Rielly-Petry
Gardiner-Haisney (boss last year)
Dermott-Zaitsev

I don't think Dermott is better than Gardiner yet. Played far far easier QoC and far less ATOI. I think Dermott is pretty much a lock to become a top 4 defender at this point but he isn't ready to take over Gardiner role, I.e. leading the team in ATOI at even strength.

Dermott may struggle when not facing exclusively 3rd or 4th lines, which is natural for a young defender but ya he isn't ready to face whoever Matthews faces which is what Gardiner plays against.

I guess, I have just seen Gardiner do SO much dumb stuff I feel like I might block out all the good he does lol

500k retention and I think that deal could work, but I don't think it could be facilitated until Weber is healthy otherwise Montreal would be throwing Juulsen and Lernout to the wolves

Stickpucker

Playmaka
Jan 18, 2014
Mtl should be looking to rebuild. Looking to deal Petry, Patches, Price is all a good start.

Kapanen + Rasanen + 2019 2nd for Petry + Mtl 3rd.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
I'm not sure if the OP edited his post, but I'd be geniuinely surprised if Petry gets more than 1st + the equivalent of ~2 2nd rounders in Brooks and Rasanen.

You two need to re-evaluate what you can expect to receive in a package for Petry. He's not getting much more than a late 1st+....maybe a bubble team that's going to pick in the teens might give up their 1st in the teens.

Also, the package your criticizing is already richer than Hamonic's deal at first-glance (save the Calgary becoming a lottery team aspect)......for a player who is older, and makes a lot more than Hamonic.......and for a deal that in hindsight, looked pretty terrible.

Brooks is not equal to a 2nd rounder. I'm not sure Rasanen is either considering he was a late 2nd that had an unremarkable D+1 year, but there's an argument there at least.

Also the Hamonic deal is much better. If Montreal had to choose between a 1st and two 2nds from a middle-caliber team or a 1st and two meh prospects from Toronto, the choice is very easy (and its not the OPs). If Montreal had to choose between a 1st from a middling team alone and the OPs, they take that 1st too.

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
You want Montreal to take Horton AND retain? You’re gonna have to sweeten the pot a helluva lot more than that

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You want Montreal to take Horton AND retain? You’re gonna have to sweeten the pot a helluva lot more than that

Horton is LTIR and the contract is done in two years, it's literally just to clear a roster spot for Toronto, and I'm only talking 500k retention on Petry.

Trading Petry + Pacioretty basically signals a teardown so I don't think cap is much of a concern.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy, but I'd be pretty happy with a Rasanen + 1st + 2nd return

Reactions: iSophagus

Qwijibo

Dec 1, 2014
Horton is LTIR and the contract is done in two years, it's literally just to clear a roster spot for Toronto, and I'm only talking 500k retention on Petry.

Trading Petry + Pacioretty basically signals a teardown so I don't think cap is much of a concern.

I wouldn't be jumping for joy, but I'd be pretty happy with a Rasanen + 1st + 2nd return
You still have to be cap compliant going into the season (with Horton counting against it) which means you have $5m less cap flexibility for 2 years. Getting rid of that hit is a big plus to Toronto. He may have value to a team trying to hit the cap floor, but if Montreal is going to take on that hit for two years it’s gonna cost Toronto

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
I'm not sure if the OP edited his post, but I'd be geniuinely surprised if Petry gets a lot more than 1st + the equivalent of ~2 2nd rounders in Brooks and Rasanen.

You two need to re-evaluate what you can expect to receive in a package for Petry. He's not getting much more than a late 1st+....maybe (and this is being a bit optimistic IMO) a bubble team that's going to pick in the teens might give up their 1st in the teens.

Originally was Leivo rather than Rasanen and I really don't think Brooks has 2nd round pick value tbh, and again Hainsey doesn't really make sense for either side.

The Hamonic deal would have looked fine if Calgary performed the way they expected, but I also think waaaaaay more would have to go off the rails for Toronto to miss playoffs. Also, I don't know if too many Calgary fans are that upset with the trade because once Hamonic settled in he was actually pretty solid.

Definitely think Petry is the better D but yeah age and the extra ~1 million (assuming a bit of retention from Montreal's side) should mean the return is pretty comparable, slightly higher

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You still have to be cap compliant going into the season (with Horton counting against it) which means you have $5m less cap flexibility for 2 years. Getting rid of that hit is a big plus to Toronto. He may have value to a team trying to hit the cap floor, but if Montreal is going to take on that hit for two years it’s gonna cost Toronto

True, I just think with the state Montreal is in it's something that wouldn't be much of an issue if it was need to facilitate the deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad