GDT: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Yeah, he didn't stand out much.

The interesting thing is that he and Lorentz are actually the same age.
Lorentz earned a spot on the team, and he’ll have to work to keep it, ditto for Patches, Robertson, Lilly, Timmins, and Myers. Want to stay in the show, consistently prove you belong………

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
As far as I concerned - as of right now Stolarz is the starting goalie Game 1 of the playoffs until Woll can steal that spot.

He’s great guy and Uber talented, but we cannot rely on him.
Woll reminds me of a car I had as a teenager, looked great, was fast, the girls liked it, but you couldn’t take it anywhere because it wasn’t reliable so I sold it and got a reliable beater………

That's the problem, nothing to talk about right now. Just the same old conversations & questions.
I’d say your presumed number one goalie not being healthy enough to start the season is newsworthy………..

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Once again, Leafs nation jumping to wild conclusions. I mean... I had a cramp in my calf the other night... I have lower body tightness that would prevent me from performing at my best.

Who knows what the hell is wrong, but how about relaxing a bit, before throwing some of these fits.
Did you call in sick, or suck it up and go to work?

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
They aren't going to do that if he's healthy. He's clearly hurt
fair enough, I missed the part where Dewar is shifting to LTIR. That alone would have given them the room to call up Hildeby (i think).

Clearly worse than initially reported (team pulling him as precaution). Not good.

Reactions: stickty111

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
Hey, its a great thing the Leafs decided to give Woll a 3 year 3m+ contract before the season even started!

Thought it was a dumb idea when it happened. Still so many unknowns with him. Now we might have to be dealing with an often injury prone goalie and work around it the next 4 years 👍
Tre definitely screwed the pooch with the Woll/Lilly contracts imo. Six million gets you a pretty good D man……..

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
Tre definitely screwed the pooch with the Woll/Lilly contracts imo. Six million gets you a pretty good D man……..

Money wasn’t even an issue, none of the top dmen wanted to be a Maple Leaf. They said as much in subsequent interviews.

Reactions: arso40

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
They can try to apply for an exemption like they did in the 2023-23 season when they signed Knies and had no space to call up Woll the next day when Murray was unavailable. They were denied that time, but it was rumoured they were only denied because they signed Knies right before and created their own mess.

Perhaps more likely, they play with 19 today (can have an emergency back-up ready) and then Hildeby would be eligible to be officially called up as an emergency call-up and could play against NJ if needed.
Sounds like Hildeby is fully the backup tonight, I think they are probably utilizing one of their goaltender exemptions here for the next two days?

Squiffy

Victims, rn't we all
Oct 21, 2006
Toronto
Sounds like Hildeby is fully the backup tonight, I think they are probably utilizing one of their goaltender exemptions here for the next two days?
N/m, I see they moved Dewar to LTIR and Woll to IR, clears the move as just a straight recall.

Rare Jewel

Patience
Jan 11, 2007
Leaf Land
Money wasn’t even an issue, none of the top dmen wanted to be a Maple Leaf. They said as much in subsequent interviews.
Montour would've come... if you matched that contract.

Roy was quite appealing as well, but sometimes, it's hard to lure Americans up here. I'd have spent a mid-round pick for his rights and then tried to get him here for a tour.

Reactions: rumman

rumman

Sep 10, 2008
It's precautionary. When you have two goalies you can count on, you rest one and play the other. I get it's disappointing to hear, but feels like we are certainly making more of this than needed.
If Woll’s tightness isn’t a big deal why isn’t he backing up Stolarz?

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I'm sure Stolarz came here just for this reason. This will be his shot as the net will most likely be his for the majority of the year.

Hopefully Woll has a speedy recovery and this truly is just some lower body tightness and just precautionary. It's a little difficult to be optimistic about him staying healthy for the majority of the year though. Hildeby looked good in the preseason too.
Of course. A guy like him is having that conversation with his agent... so, where could I go and end up with a legit opportunity to be the starter? I mean, with the Leafs you have the double whammy. A projected starting goaltender that seems to be more injured that he is healthy, and a projected starting goaltender who really has not proven they can be a true starter in this league. No brainer imo.

That being said, I hope Woll is able to play a lot for us this season and seasons going forward, but I am not holding my breath. Are we any worse off if he is unable to stay healthy? Stolarz looks as good as Woll and Hildabest is in waiting.

Reactions: bax

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad