GDT: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

leafan11

Feb 13, 2010
It was heavily rumored Marner was being traded and all kinds of other nonsense that was never reality either.

Exactly. This is about give him an extra day to make sure rather than play through something minor in order to appease fans who will find something to be worked up about regardless.
My point was that the rumor about Woll being hurt in training camp wasn’t a rumor , it was in fact true.

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
His salary is irrelevant to this particular question - we know he's very overpaid, there's no point debating this.

The question is, is his production good enough to be a 2nd line centre on a contending team, and there is no question that it is.

A typical first-line C puts up 77 points/season. A 2nd line C puts up 50 points/season. JT Put up 65 last season, which puts his production closer to that of a #1 C than #2 C. In no world is he not at least a good #2 C.

Excellent article, some of us already mostly knew the numbers and that 60 or so points are indeed pretty decent 2nd line numbers.

Biggest part of the JT backlash is the contract and the narrative that's been built around him inre declining skills. Granted if he's getting PP1 time I think 75 points would be an excellent season and certainly within reach.

Here's the conundrum. What does a 60 point 2/3C get paid in today's NHL? It certainly isn't the wishful 2-4m per, unless the team is willing to go long term (6yrs+). If it's a 4-5 yr deal. Would 5m, 6m be the right number?

Reactions: DarkKnight

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Honestly, all you can go on is what has been told which is:
- he experienced lower body tightness
- it's precautionary

Based solely on that information being true (which is all we can go on right now), I think its more realistic to lean towards it not being a big deal.

People are just worried because of his past injuries and therefore overeacting based on the info we've been given. If we take what Berube said as true, it's not a major concern right now and all parties involved made the right choice. Glad Woll said something instead of hiding it and risking injury like some other goalies would have.
I like Stolarz so I'm not worried at all, my point was we don't really know.

So then what is your point when you said then who would start tomorrow… it’s obviously going to be Stolarz or Hildeby…
It won't be Stolarz starting tomorrow.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Starting lineup not likely to include McMann.
I have never been a pro player, or even junior A.
But... how is it a guy who can skate, put the biscuit in the basket some, pass, play D zone well, fit in a middle 6, and has real good size, cannot use his body to punish the other team as the coach asks.
He doesn't need to fight, Bob Gainey never fought, and could earn 3.5 to 4.5 m for the next 5 years.
He looks like he is losing a grip on a position.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
Mate, since leaving college and going pro, Woll has played a total of 120 professional regular season games over the course of five seasons. The most he played in a season was 32 games, which was his rookie season with the Marlies five years ago. That's 24 games a year, and if you only look at the last 4 seasons only it's 22 games/yr.

I get that.. I'm as concerned as most about his durability. But perhaps wait for more information before we jump to conclusions?

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
If it was a goalie with a more proven track record, then sure. But this has been a recurring theme with this guy. Not a good sign he is experiencing some tightness before even playing any real games, or being under real stress.
My best example was Frederik Andersen, that dude got injured every single year for like 3 straight years, but no one sweat it because he always ended up playing ~60 games of high level goaltending and was physically fit to play the playoffs from game 1

Woll injures himself all the time and plays 25 games because of it. He got hurt in the biggest moment of his and the teams season, in a way he let the team down. We needed him and he wasn't ready to go...I don't think he deserves any benefit of the doubt even though I have an unreasonably high evaluation of him

if he could stay healthy I could see him being a top 10-15 goalie in the league, but health has always and will always be the concern with im

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
But... how is it a guy who can skate, put the biscuit in the basket some, pass, play D zone well, fit in a middle 6, and has real good size, cannot use his body to punish the other team as the coach asks.
He doesn't need to fight, Bob Gainey never fought, and could earn 3.5 to 4.5 m for the next 5 years.
Based on press conference comments, thr management group has high hopes for McMann still... just felt like he didn't play well in preseason and is a bit off right now.

I wouldn't be surprised to see him play game #2 of the b2b in place of Pacioretty or Reaves and look good.

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Downplaying Woll's injury issues is what's irrational to me. The guy literally got hurt right before our game 7. He's not reliable whatsoever from what he's shown, but some seem intent on burying their head in the sand no matter what.

VanW27

Jun 9, 2003
Canada
I get it, I would argue McMann doesn't play dzone well and can't pass to save his life though.

Reactions: supermann_98

Aashir Mallik

Apr 19, 2019
The narrative around Woll is kind of annoying at this point. People acting like he is out 6 months because he isn't starting game 1.
What starting/1A goalie doesn't start game 1 because of injury

Campbell started for us twice, Andersen all 5 years he was here.

Swayman didn't beacuse of contract negotiations costing him training camp.

When you get as injured as woll does, and you miss a game 7 due to injury...yea people don't wanna hear about you getting injured again, especially before the damn season even starts

Roo

Oct 3, 2005
Oakville
It's precautionary. When you have two goalies you can count on, you rest one and play the other. I get it's disappointing to hear, but feels like we are certainly making more of this than needed.

supermann_98

May 8, 2002
Visit site
So basically expect Stolarz to be the starter this season.
I'd say it's probably one of the main reasons Stolarz signed with the leafs to begin with. There's no way Woll can stand in his way of the #1 position if Woll can't even stand, so to speak.

Stolarz probably already imagining his next payday after the Toronto limelight shine, and guys like Kypreos and The overdrive guys saying his next contract should be worth what vasilevski makes.

Reactions: CabanaBoy5

therealkoho

Him/Leaf/fan
Jul 10, 2009
the Prior
People complain about Tavares potting 65 points in a down year as a 2C... but want a guy at 2C who's career high is 49 points, and are willing to overpay.

I really like what Bennett brings to the table, but his play style is such that his shelf life isn't going to be long. The last time he played a full season was 2017/18. He'll continue playing 60ish games, as has been the case in the past, and eventually where down. I just don't see overpaying for that.
Methinks the spelling of Reinhart may have befuddled the muddle

Community

44 is Rielly good
Oct 30, 2010
The Darkest Timeline
Don't we have to make a roster move to bring up Hildabeast? Believe we're at the 23 man roster limit.

They can try to apply for an exemption like they did in the 2023-23 season when they signed Knies and had no space to call up Woll the next day when Murray was unavailable. They were denied that time, but it was rumoured they were only denied because they signed Knies right before and created their own mess.

Perhaps more likely, they play with 19 today (can have an emergency back-up ready) and then Hildeby would be eligible to be officially called up as an emergency call-up and could play against NJ if needed.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad