Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
According to whom? You make a false statement with Dekes on auto like :D rofl TOP2 NHL PP for years?

damn Mitch really trying anything to squeeze more from the Leafs

View attachment 913566

According to NHL.com. From 2019/20 to 2022/23 combined results second best PP over that time. Include last year, its third best.

You can go back to 2015/16 to present, and we are third best over that period in time as well.

Simple facts to look up. Cheers.

• Haha
Reactions: ACC1224

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
The heat in Montreal right now is pretty high against the Leafs after the Laine game. That Jackeye kid is a reckless loose cannon that is going to injure someone. Happy having Reaves in the lineup thankyou.
If he's stupid enough to try to exact revenge against a completely different lineup because of Pare, who will likely never play in the NHL, then he deserves whatever is coming to him.

Reactions: fahad203

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017
The chances of Reaves throwing a borderline hit that draws a revenge hit are higher than the chances of him making a riled up plug play scared.

According to NHL.com. From 2019/20 to 2022/23 combined results second best PP over that time. Include last year, its third best.

You can go back to 2015/16 to present, and we are third best over that period in time as well.

Simple facts to look up. Cheers.

To be fair that doesn’t mean they were the 2nd best, just one of the most consistently top 10. Contenders that had better PPs in 2016 have aged out and might be rebuilding now, the only apples to apples comparison over a long stretch would be cores around the same age and contention window as ours.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
To be fair that doesn’t mean they were the 2nd best, just one of the most consistently top 10. Contenders that had better PPs in 2016 have aged out and might be rebuilding now, the only apples to apples comparison over a long stretch would be cores around the same age and contention window as ours.
To be fair, I claimed over a period of years, they were the second best. It's a fact. No spin can change that.

But here are the years anyway.

2023/24 - 7th.
2022/23 - 2nd best
2021/22 - 1st
2020/21 - 16th
2019/20 - 6th
2018/19 - 8th
2017/18 - 2nd

Just for reference sake, as to where this started...
I don't like Marner and Rielly on the same PP unit.

It was in response to this.

Marner and Rielly on the same PP unit, have been a top PP unit in the league for years. It was tops in the NHL last year, until the wheels fell off the bus when Marner got injured. It's been top two three times, and top ten three times. On aggregate, it's top two or three over an extended period of time. It's been a top two until, for the last three years... except for the last couple of months of last year. When you have a until that is first, or second, for something like 2.75 years... you don't blow it up, you tweak it to make sure it works all the time.

The top teams over that period are pretty consistent... it's been Edmonton, Tampa and Toronto dominating the top most of the time, and that is what you would guess.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
They also should get rewarded for past play no?

For example, McMann outplayed Reaves over an 82 game sample size plus the playoffs.

Or are the couple games where the games don't matter more important?
Reaves is a 4th line player and plays that role how we want our 4th line which is a checking line. That is not McManns game. We need to stop with this "this guy should be playing over Reaves on the 4th" when that guy needs more than 7-8 minutes a game and to play with more skilled guys to be effective. McMann got hot last year and it kept him in the lineup last season and didn't carry that momentum into this pre season and lost out on his spot. Just because he's not starting in the lineup now doesn't mean he won't be playing ever so idk why people are complaining just because Reaves is playing on the 4th line.

Reactions: Roo

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
Reaves is a 4th line player and plays that role how we want our 4th line which is a checking line. That is not McManns game. We need to stop with this "this guy should be playing over Reaves on the 4th" when that guy needs more than 7-8 minutes a game and to play with more skilled guys to be effective. McMann got hot last year and it kept him in the lineup last season and didn't carry that momentum into this pre season and lost out on his spot. Just because he's not starting in the lineup now doesn't mean he won't be playing ever so idk why people are complaining just because Reaves is playing on the 4th line.

McMann can play a grinding game...

We have to stop with this "Reaves should play because he fights"

It doesn't help the team.

Anyway, I said I am fine with him playing, he actually played decent hockey in the preseason, but McMann is still better and can play a 4th line role.

BertCorbeau

F*ck cancer - RIP Fugu and Buffaloed
Jan 6, 2012
Simcoe County
With what happened in that last preseason game, Reaves should be in.

He’ll be fresh and pumped up for game 1 so I expect he’ll set the tone like Bérubé wants. He can’t effectively do that all season like we saw last year but he if he’s used in that 13th forward role that’s fine.

Reactions: Jmo89

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
McMann can play a grinding game...

We have to stop with this "Reaves should play because he fights"

It doesn't help the team.

Anyway, I said I am fine with him playing, he actually played decent hockey in the preseason, but McMann is still better and can play a 4th line role.
So a guy who has struggled to stay healthy should now be used as a checking line player on the 4th line? The same guy who has made a name for himself because of his goal scoring should now be used on the 4th line and barely see the ice? Never said Reaves should play because he fights. Said he should play because he plays the role of a checking line player who doesn't need to play 10-15 minutes to be useful.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
So a guy who has struggled to stay healthy should now be used as a checking line player on the 4th line? The same guy who has made a name for himself because of his goal scoring should now be used on the 4th line and barely see the ice? Never said Reaves should play because he fights. Said he should play because he plays the role of a checking line player who doesn't need to play 10-15 minutes to be useful.

What name has he made for himself? He is a hard-working grinding forward...

McMann is more efficient as a checking forward... he's faster so is better on the forecheck.

McMann can also play higher up in the lineup.

Honestly, what does Reaves do better than McMann?

Should we use better or worse players for those 8 minutes?

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
How is MacMann sitting. The f***
Had to show he was better than an over the hill Pacioretty and he couldn't get it done. He'll see the lineup eventually, probably when Patches inevitably gets injured. It's not necessarily a bad thing to show players their spot is never guaranteed and they gotta keep working.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
What name has he made for himself? He is a hard-working grinding forward...

McMann is more efficient as a checking forward... he's faster so is better on the forecheck.

McMann can also play higher up in the lineup.

Honestly, what does Reaves do better than McMann?

Should we use better or worse players for those 8 minutes?
McMann has been invisible most of his NHL career. He had 1 hot stretch where it seemed like he was scoring every game and now he's this amazing checking forward and better forechecker? I had him penciled in the lineup a long time ago because of that hot stretch and he won me over but he looked like he lost a step in the pre season and lost his spot. If he was so much better he should've been able to beat out the likes of Reaves, Patches, Holmberg and even Robertson. He was invisible and if he was this more efficient checking forward and better on the forecheck he would've stood out a little better.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
McMann has been invisible most of his NHL career. He had 1 hot stretch where it seemed like he was scoring every game and now he's this amazing checking forward and better forechecker? I had him penciled in the lineup a long time ago because of that hot stretch and he won me over but he looked like he lost a step in the pre season and lost his spot. If he was so much better he should've been able to beat out the likes of Reaves, Patches, Holmberg and even Robertson. He was invisible and if he was this more efficient checking forward and better on the forecheck he would've stood out a little better.

So he is known as a goal scorer but has been invisible his entire career? You make no sense.

He's a hard working grinding complimentary player who is good defensively.

Sounds like a good bottom 6 winger to me.

He's better on the forecheck too because he will get there in time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad