Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Montreal - Wednesday 7pm - SN

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
Opening night lineup isn't too surprising, and there's a long way to go so expect a few changes, but oh mighty one please help us if we go into the playoffs with Pac-Holmerg-Robertson as our third line.

Have to assume they will target a 3C at the deadline, but we will see how the season unfolds and where the needs emerge

Reactions: DarkKnight

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
If the Leafs play well in the opener I doubt they make immediate changes.
I know melord, our lineup is just way too strong...... G'yish.
Aint no way other teams is beating this. That Lorenz Reaves line is like.... woah like mya in that song. Yall saw how they score too right? They are plummering people down. Badly.

Leafs1991

Nov 17, 2015
The Leafs have a 2C and a pretty good one contrary to the narrative put forth by some that he’s in steep decline and can’t be more than a 3C now.

3C is easily the biggest forward need.

Our defensive issues were a direct contributor to our offensive issues:

1) lack of point shots
2) lack of puck movement and production from the backend
3) too much time and energy spent defending.
4) weak side could exposed

Not to absolve anyone, but when your whole team struggles to score over multiple years and different supporting casts there might be systemic issues contributing to the challenges not just core issues.

This summer:
1) new head coach
2) new powerplay coach
3) one of the best defensive defensemen
4) a good puck moving defenseman
5) more balanced D
6) added Pacioretty, if healthy will help.

That’s not nothing to help the offense.

Keefe wasn’t able to implement a plan/style of game in the playoffs that maintained our ability to generate offensive while also keeping the defense tight enough to win.

Maybe Berube and his staff can. We’ll see.

I’m a firm believer good teams take on the attitude and traits of their coaching. Some of Berube’s traits rubbing off on this group would help them quite a bit I think.
He is a 3rd line center being carried by his teammates. He had 65 points which as a 2nd line center now, isn't even good. His playoffs also wasn't anything to write home about.

It isn't a bad narrative when you watch him play and he doesn't meet the eye test for majority of the game.

egd27

exspecta usque ad proximum annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
He is a 3rd line center being carried by his teammates. now,He had 65 points which as a 2nd line center isn't even good. His playoffs also wasn't anything to write home about.

It isn't a bad narrative when you watch him play and he doesn't meet the eye test for majority of the game.

:biglaugh: oh come on now, let's not be ridiculous

Reijo

Sep 22, 2024
I'll be at this game!! Go leafs go!!
You will be rewarded with so many gezoals and many many skillfull things our talented players posess. Your life will get a boost after this game, allthough its already going into a good direction. Your money balanse will be going ok too and in human releations/activity, it will be aaaight and cool. Ok. This game is ours and you will see massively talented things both off and on the ice here. GG

Reactions: Leafs1993

francis246

Nov 16, 2007
I wonder if McMann is still on the team by the end of the season.

My money is him and Liljegren are packaged for an upgrade on the team. A good player with term. That would make a ton of sense, and those two could probably fetch something good. But we’ll see what happens.

LaPlante94

Apr 12, 2011
"bench Reaves and play this guy just so I can complain the guy taking his spot isn't getting enough ice time to produce like they did before" That's all I see whenever I see someone say playing Reaves over McMann or anyone else is a choice. Crazy idea that a coach would want a checking line that most likely plays 8 minutes a game except the C who will get PK time too.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Hopefully we start hot for a change and grab hold of the division lead early on this year. Might be too much to ask with a new coach and new systems to implement.
I think they will get off to an extremely hot start, which will eventually lead to Marner and Tavares extensions. The Leafs have a pretty easy schedule to start the season, and I think they will take advantage of it.

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
He is a 3rd line center being carried by his teammates. He had 65 points which as a 2nd line center now, isn't even good. His playoffs also wasn't anything to write home about.

40th among all NHL centers last year in point production says you’re wrong.

Also it’s not at all uncommon for a 2C to play with and generate a lot of their points with good teammates, so I’m not sure why exactly it’s a problem when JT does.

He’s definitely slow, but he was never fast, His game has never relied on speed at all. He’s still a very effective player, despite the narrative people here want to spin.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016
I think they will get off to an extremely hot start, which will eventually lead to Marner and Tavares extensions. The Leafs have a pretty easy schedule to start the season, and I think they will take advantage of it.
Easy? I wouldn't say that at all. In the first two months the only lottery teams they play are the Habs and Sens, both of whom tend to play the Leafs like it's game 7 of the Stanley Cup, and every other team they play are playoff teams or bubble level teams.

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA

You making that prediction means the exact opposite is going to happen. So extremely slow start and Marner/Tavares traded it is.

AcerComputer

Aug 4, 2014

Name 60 centre's who are better?

Reactions: Buds17

Ad

Ad

Ad