Proposal: Toronto-Colorado

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Matthews having a slow start, and Marner's #'s are down? hmmmm... coincidence?

Not at all. We're seeing the same thing with Miller, Boeser and Pettersson so far, for a variety of reasons. It's a fine tapestry and all that.

This trade makes no sense for Colorado and is a weird start to Toronto's rebuild, which is apparently what we're going for if we're making trades like this.

I mean morale is pretty low over here in Leafland for a variety of reasons but I don't think we're at the point where, bad season or not, losing your top defenseman for nothing can be considered a silver lining....at least not yet. Give it a few weeks.

I didn't mean for nothing, but as incentive as a rental.

I'd be looking at moving some of the middling cap hits, either as room for rookies, or the Spezza/Thornton/Simmonds veteran/minimum wage contracts.

I just...I still can't believe the structure of the contracts given out. It's crazy to me.

Commander Clueless

Apathy of the Leaf
Sep 10, 2008
I just...I still can't believe the structure of the contracts given out. It's crazy to me.

We saw the latest effects of that structure this offseason, when we shed depth but needed to add it.

Dark days.

I'd be looking at moving some of the middling cap hits, either as room for rookies, or the Spezza/Thornton/Simmonds veteran/minimum wage contracts.

Not many of those left, and more bargain bin contracts aren't going to fix anything.

Nothing against bargain bin contracts in the right places, mind you.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
We saw the latest effects of that structure this offseason, when we shed depth but needed to add it.

Dark days.

Not many of those left, and more bargain bin contracts aren't going to fix anything.

Nothing against bargain bin contracts in the right places, mind you.

It's just baffling that contracts like that, the Marner contract especially, have been approved.

If used properly, bargain bin contracts are fine. Hamonic last year for us was one. Chiasson this year...remains to be seen. The right bargain bin guys make all the difference. I'm with you though, how many are a team expected to be able to find? I guess the mid level guys have to be earning their cheques too, and especially the stars, and that's where the failure seems to be.

Reactions: Commander Clueless

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Slow start in Toronto, eh? 4 combined assists in 12 combined games for Marner and Rielly? Oof. At least Rielly is UFA, if this slow start doesn't correct itself.

No one can afford Marner though. The Ducks, Sens, Sabres, Blue Jackets and Red Wings are the only teams with the cap space, and I'm sure each of them has an internal cap. Plus that bonus structure...yikes. League minimum with the rest of his, averaged, cap hit of 10.9 in signing bonuses? That isn't a contract everyone can take on, even if Marner's slow start is followed up by to tier Marner for the rest of the year.

Bryam aside, that isn't a stellar return or anything, but I think Toronto fans are taking for granted their teams ability to swallow salary like it's nothing.

To be fair, a team trading for Marner today has roughly $24.8m in salary commitment, and would get him for 4 years less whatever portion of the season the team has played so far this year. That's $6.2m per season. For anyone trading for Marner at this point, his actual salary is basically a non-factor.

That being said, Toronto is unlikely to be willing to go into "full rebuild" mode; so will probably be looking to take back a $5m - $8m player to offset Marner's loss. Colorado isn't the right partner to do that with. They're already at the cap with a lineup that is already reasonably top-heavy.

If Marner goes, it's probably to a team that isn't all that great, who's looking to make him the cornerstone of their forward group. Columbus, Nashville, Anaheim, New Jersey, Buffalo or Detroit would all be theoretically ideal contenders. Maybe Seattle, Calgary , or Los Angeles too.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Every year Marner starts the year slow and then finishes with 90 points or paces for 90 points. And every start of the season we see the standard trade Marner proposals. Sure he has not performed to expectations during the playoffs. But he is not a “2W”.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
What about a premise trade around Marner and Girard? Salary has to become equal or some retained by the Leafs though.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Every year Marner starts the year slow and then finishes with 90 points or paces for 90 points. And every start of the season we see the standard trade Marner proposals. Sure he has not performed to expectations during the playoffs. But he is not a “2W”.
Big deal. out of his 360 career points 257 are assists. Being useless in the playoffs has crept into his game this year as well. I'm not paying assets and taking on his salary for that.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
What about a premise trade around Marner and Girard? Salary has to become equal or some retained by the Leafs though.

Don't think the Leafs would at all consider retaining on Marner for 4 years.

Not sure how / if Girard would be valued / fit into the Leafs D, but from a cap standpoint, you'd likely be looking at a Girard + Burakovsky for Marner deal; which I don't believe works from a cap standpoint, and even if it can work, don't think it makes sense for the Avs to spend $27.25m on 3 wingers.

Petrus

Jan 5, 2017
Bay Street
Big deal. out of his 360 career points 257 are assists. Being useless in the playoffs has crept into his game this year as well. I'm not paying assets and taking on his salary for that.

He is over 1.00 ppg player the last 3 seasons and 0.99 for his career. Agreed, the Avs can’t afford to take on Marner without creating an imbalance in their roster. But this is not what I arguing. What I have said is he is not a 2nd line forward.

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
I wouldn't trade Byram straight up for Marner
No GM would.

Byram is playing like a top pair do it all LHD and he’s a young 20 with two more ELC years. He’s worth way more than Marner’s bloated contract.

byram-Makar top pairing for a decade sounds nice to me.

Something around Nylander for Girard with something else going to the Avs for the AAV delta is the only maybe trade between these two clubs.

I’d think hard on Nylander + Robertson (good but injury risk) for Girard.

Last edited:

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
To be fair, a team trading for Marner today has roughly $24.8m in salary commitment, and would get him for 4 years less whatever portion of the season the team has played so far this year. That's $6.2m per season. For anyone trading for Marner at this point, his actual salary is basically a non-factor.

That being said, Toronto is unlikely to be willing to go into "full rebuild" mode; so will probably be looking to take back a $5m - $8m player to offset Marner's loss. Colorado isn't the right partner to do that with. They're already at the cap with a lineup that is already reasonably top-heavy.

If Marner goes, it's probably to a team that isn't all that great, who's looking to make him the cornerstone of their forward group. Columbus, Nashville, Anaheim, New Jersey, Buffalo or Detroit would all be theoretically ideal contenders. Maybe Seattle, Calgary , or Los Angeles too.

It's not the cap hit versus earnings, that might actually be a selling point. It's the fact that all but 700k is paid as a signing bonus at once every year.

I feel most teams trading for Marner would have to return nearly all the salary back, which, depending on the allotment, could be a big win for Toronto. But it first widens, then narrows, the list again. Just my thoughts though.

Reactions: John Mandalorian

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
He is over 1.00 ppg player the last 3 seasons and 0.99 for his career. Agreed, the Avs can’t afford to take on Marner without creating an imbalance in their roster. But this is not what I arguing. What I have said is he is not a 2nd line forward.

AVs would be a 2nd line player. Marner is an excellent player and among the best Wingers in the league. Rants is the better overall player. With his bloated Cap contract, there is little interest unless salary can be sent back.

BoxOfChocolates

Mar 7, 2010
Something around Girard for one of the Leafs forwards (Nylander?) would make more sense. But with Rielly re-signing I'm not sure if that would even be on the table anymore.

Definitely not touching Byram with his start and cap hit

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad