Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
Do the players really want another game in front of the home crowd?
Especially Marner? ;)

I agree. Unfortunately it has meant no deep runs, but a massive lack of pick of prospects too. Buyers for years without anything to show for it.

8 years making the playoffs is impressive, if you're consistently a threat. The Leafs objectively have not been, and that's a fact because the results, and not emotions, bear that out. 8 years of failure means its not a coincidence, it's a pattern, and those most responsible for that pattern are still here.
Agree 1000%!

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
For me, mind you I do not live in Toronto and have never been to a playoff game, I would much rather spare the agony of going through 3 more games, only to see them lose AGAIN in the 1st round.
They need to be embarassed in order for change. If they go 7, it will be groundhog day in a year.

FFS, Shanny was about to rehire Dubas last year after being embarrassed by Florida. Anybody watching the Tampa series saw that Tampa was the better team and they only won because Vasi was a sieve, Cernak was out and Hedman was not 100%.

All this after Dumbass further mortgaged the future to win a lousy round in 5 attempts.

Punch Drunk Loov

Gaaaaary Roberts!
Dec 6, 2011
I think we should re-visit the last couple weeks of the regular season, and why it was so important to get Matthews and Nylander their milestones.
Very good point. We've been "de-emphasing" the core 4 and yet we prioritize their point totals and abandoned trying to win at least the last 5 games of the season. Their personal achievements certainly have a political weight where they hog all of the offensive opportunity.

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
They need to be embarassed in order for change. If they go 7, it will be groundhog day in a year.

FFS, Shanny was about to rehire Dubas last year after being embarrassed by Florida. Anybody watching the Tampa series saw that Tampa was the better team and they only won because Vasi was a sieve, Cernak was out and Hedman was not 100%.

All this after Dumbass further mortgaged the future to win a lousy round in 5 attempts.
I agree. Maybe it would be better for them to win tomorrow night and then get run out of the building at home.

Reactions: egd27 and ToneDog

Shanwhatplan

Mar 31, 2019
I think we should re-visit the last couple weeks of the regular season, and why it was so important to get Matthews and Nylander their milestones.
Maybe because from the top on down, everybody knew they would get beat out in the 1st round, and Matthews' and Nylander's records would somehow ease that. With the way from ownership on down to management have run this team while keeping the core intact, does that seem so hard to believe???

stealth1

Aug 28, 2009
Niagara, Ontario
When you understand that our offensive systems suck, it's easier to understand than it being purely a question of execution.
I disagree. IMO it's not all due to Keefe and his systems. A lot is the players the Leafs have. They have defensemen that can't move the puck very well and forwards who rarely drive the net. Systems are only as good as the players that execute it.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

I can not substitute Leafs playoff hockey for anything, despite the frustrations. Not Jays playoff baseball, not Raptors playoffs. Playoff hockey just hits different, you know. I want to see more.

The Masters

Jun 30, 2018
Assume we start Woll? Sammy rocking the .883
w-6c3b.gif

wingman75

Dec 3, 2008
The QC
I disagree. IMO it's not all due to Keefe and his systems. A lot is the players the Leafs have. They have defensemen that can't move the puck very well and forwards who rarely drive the net. Systems are only as good as the players that execute it.
When it is this bad, it is a combination of things without a doubt. Which is why I say changing the coach without changing the core is not enough.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
Boston is a beatable team, but the Leafs have been determined to make stupid errors that allow the Bruins to capitalize.

The Sheldon Keefe legacy.

Other teams capitalizing on Leaf errors has beat them in every series.
  • horrible line change vs CBJ
  • Galch "pass" vs MTL
  • Dermott spinarama vs MTL
  • Kerfoot drop pass vs TBL
  • Kerfoot high stick vs TBL
  • Holl "pick" vs TBL
  • Marner / Matthews zone exit vs FLA
and that's just a few of the egregious ones

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
Clearly none of Mitch, Matthews & Nylander are 100% healthy which means the odds on the Leafs coming home for game 6 are pretty bleak.

I expect a very ugly loss and then the "blow up everything" fun on this board really starts.

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019

The problem with pointing out TB was better last year, is the Leafs were clearly better the year before. So that becomes a wash.

All our hope is the new CEO has zero time for this. Shanny, followed by Keefe, followed by a major roster change.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
Clearly none of Mitch, Matthews & Nylander are 100% healthy which means the odds on the Leafs coming home for game 6 are pretty bleak.

I expect a very ugly loss and then the "blow up everything" fun on this board really starts.
I think Woll will be good enough to ensure that the game is close no matter what.

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
The Sheldon Keefe legacy.

Other teams capitalizing on Leaf errors has beat them in every series.
  • horrible line change vs CBJ
  • Galch "pass" vs MTL
  • Dermott spinarama vs MTL
  • Kerfoot drop pass vs TBL
  • Kerfoot high stick vs TBL
  • Holl "pick" vs TBL
  • Marner / Matthews zone exit vs FLA
and that's just a few of the egregious ones
playing Brodie Game 4.

He was -2. Looked VERY bad on both Boston goals.

egd27

Donec nunc annum
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2011
GTA
I'm a logical and pragmatic person largely, cheering for the Leafs aside, but lets try to apply those principles in predicting the game Tuesday.

What is the most Leafy outcome, I ask you all?
Tough one.

For me it's either
  1. Win to extend and lose on home ice Thursday
  2. Blow a 3 goal lead in the 3rd and lose in OT

Jojalu

Feb 22, 2019
I agree. Unfortunately it has meant no deep runs, but a massive lack of pick of prospects too. Buyers for years without anything to show for it.

8 years making the playoffs is impressive, if you're consistently a threat. The Leafs objectively have not been, and that's a fact because the results, and not emotions, bear that out. 8 years of failure means its not a coincidence, it's a pattern, and those most responsible for that pattern are still here.
We only need to look to see what the other Toronto sports teams did to get over the hump.

Jays had a very good team. Were right there every year but couldn't get over the hump.

Enter the trade of fan favourites Fernandez and McGriff for Alomar and Carter. Then they just filled in some holes and World Champs.

The Raptors too put out a team that was always in the playoffs. Fans loved Derozen but he couldn't get them over the hump. Welcome Kawhi.

All 4 of the core have talent and will probably help other teams succeed. It just isn't working here together.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    New York Yankees @ Minnesota Twins
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $3,757.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Las Palmas vs Real Betis
    Las Palmas vs Real Betis