Pre-Game Talk: Toronto @ Boston -- game 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
There should be some good goalie options available in the off season. How is their cap situation for next year? Can they sign A top defenseman and goalie? Would they have to trade someone like Marner to get one or the other?
They have 30M + coming off the books, but sure they might trade someone though Marner for example has trade protection, so he would have to agree to anything.

Reactions: authentic and KOZ37

disgruntleddave

Aug 31, 2009
Canada
Our coaching won't be good enough to win 2 in a row. Our systems suck.

Say what you want about many players not being good enough, not built for playoff hockey, etc. Those things are true, but even if guys were better, played heavier, our systems suck so bad that it's always just a matter of time until we're wasted.

I love when our opponent knows exactly where to stand to pick off the same pass up the ice over and over and over...

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Many say this, but the reality is that memories tend to be short, and very heavily influenced by recent events more than distant ones. It won't take more than a couple of good games for everyone to love this team again. That's the way fandom works.

I agree with you about a segment of the fanbase personally, but not me. My patience is finite. Auston Matthews could 69 a grizzly bear in November next year and it wouldn't mean a damn thing until he consistently becomes an axe murderer come playoff time like those guys in Edmonton are. Marner is a lost cause and there's realistically no hope for him here. JT, you just have to ride it out because he will Mumble his slow ass through another nondescript playoffs if we make it.

Its hard to quit your team no matter where they are. Jeremy Jacobs used to drive me insane. We had some killer Bruins teams that needed a boost to get over the top back in the 80s and 90s. It killed me to see Ray Bourque traded to win his Cup, but everyone was happy for him. He is my all time favorite player. I miss those days honestly. While I've always been a Bruins fan, I always admired players like Wendel Clark and Doug Gilmour back then. Always thought one of those teams would win a cup.

Oh old man Jacobs is terrible. No doubt. Bruins are successful despite him IMO, not because of him.

Ray Bourque was a good soldier and probably a Top 5 Dman of all time. He deserved that chance at the Cup. Colorado retiring his number was moronic though.

Reactions: KOZ37

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
They have 30M + coming off the books, but sure they might trade someone though Marner for example has trade protection, so he would have to agree to anything.
Marner wouldn’t wave for anyone but a contender. Most contenders can’t afford that contract. Thus Marner is probably a Leaf next season. All we can do right now is pray that Tavares resigns for either a crazy low contract or retires.

But uhhh…Woll looked good last game. I actually thought the Leafs were the better team overall in the third. Not that matters much given how bad they were in the first and second.

Reactions: wingman75

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
Marner wouldn’t wave for anyone but a contender. Most contenders can’t afford that contract. Thus Marner is probably a Leaf next season. All we can do right now is pray that Tavares resigns for either a crazy low contract or retires.

But uhhh…Woll looked good last game. I actually thought the Leafs were the better team overall in the third. Not that matters much given how bad they were in the first and second.
I don't want Tavares back at any price. Not sure who will agree with me but I do not want him back and I don't care if it makes this already incredibly flawed team worse.

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017

That would be up to Marner.

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
Listen, all we need to do right now is take game 5. Find a way to bring this back to Toronto and worry about nothing else

Boston has their own playoff demons, bring those memories back for them. Win game 5 and you give Matthews more time to recover, more reps for Nylander to adjust back to the playoffs

Woll will need to be huge. He has the ability to steal a game and we will likely need it on Tuesday

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
I foresee Boston putting the dagger in us in game 5. I don't see the team fixing the following issues 3 days later:

1. Powerplay
2. Penalty Kill
3. Woll / Samsonov being better then Swayman
4. Coach adapting to Boston clogging up the neutral zone so we don't have to dump and attempt to "forecheck"
5. The team scoring more then 2 goals when they are on the brink of elimination.
6. The team adjusting to Boston heavy forecheck and absorbing it and breaking out clean so we can skate the puck into their zone.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
You have to account for 14 of that being players on the ltir so you don't free up that cap space it was used up by others. You don't think they re up Bert/Domi? Brodie/Samsonov money is available. You also need to take into account Nylander and Matthews raises on next years payroll although the cap will go up

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
If we have to watch the same exact powerplay setup, with the same powerplay zone entries I might gouge my own eyes out

For the love of God adjust. It's been 2 months, they're not going to fix it on their own

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
You have to account for 14 of that being players on the ltir so you don't free up that cap space it was used up by others. You don't think they re up Bert/Domi? Brodie/Samsonov money is available
I have no idea what they will do if they decide to make changes if the Leafs bow out in the first round

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I foresee Boston putting the dagger in us in game 5. I don't see the team fixing the following issues 3 days later:

1. Powerplay
2. Penalty Kill
3. Woll / Samsonov being better then Swayman
4. Coach adapting to Boston clogging up the neutral zone so we don't have to dump and attempt to "forecheck"
5. The team scoring more then 2 goals when they are on the brink of elimination.
6. The team adjusting to Boston heavy forecheck and absorbing it and breaking out clean so we can skate the puck into their zone.
Woll will win game 5 for them

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
Listen, all we need to do right now is take game 5. Find a way to bring this back to Toronto and worry about nothing else

Boston has their own playoff demons, bring those memories back for them. Win game 5 and you give Matthews more time to recover, more reps for Nylander to adjust back to the playoffs

Woll will need to be huge. He has the ability to steal a game and we will likely need it on Tuesday
The Bruins failed in a big way against the Panthers despite being up 3-1 last year in the series. The difference this year is Swayman is providing much better goaltending than Ullmark did last year. Montgomery did not make the change until it was to late. Regardless we all know nothing is impossible....especially in hockey.

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022
Anybody here hoping for a sixth game in this series is delusional. They will come out flat, unmotivated, and gutless. When there are five minutes left in the game they will show a bit of life but ultimately fold faster than a cheap suit. This series is over on Tuesday, book it.

Reactions: TMLife17

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
I agree with you about a segment of the fanbase personally, but not me. My patience is finite. Auston Matthews could 69 a grizzly bear in November next year and it wouldn't mean a damn thing until he consistently becomes an axe murderer come playoff time like those guys in Edmonton are. Marner is a lost cause and there's realistically no hope for him here. JT, you just have to ride it out because he will Mumble his slow ass through another nondescript playoffs if we make it.

Oh old man Jacobs is terrible. No doubt. Bruins are successful despite him IMO, not because of him.

Ray Bourque was a good soldier and probably a Top 5 Dman of all time. He deserved that chance at the Cup. Colorado retiring his number was moronic though.
Agree on all counts. It is crazy how much hockey has changed in such a short time.

Torontonian

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The Bruins failed in a big way against the Panthers despite being up 3-1 last year in the series. The difference this year is Swayman is providing much better goaltending than Ullmark did last year. Montgomery did not make the change until it was to late. Regardless we all know nothing is impossible....especially in hockey.
The difference is, we are not the FLA panthers. That team has balls and a backbone, meanwhile this team hasn't show in 8 years it has the backbone to actually fight back and play quality hockey when it matters most. They don't deserve to have the faith and hope from Leafs fans that they might come back in the series.

Reactions: TMLife17 and KOZ37

leafsfan5

Jun 14, 2014
The Bruins were also a much better team last year than this years' version

Boston is a beatable team, but the Leafs have been determined to make stupid errors that allow the Bruins to capitalize. They need to play a structured game and wait for moments to use their skill (unfortunately, Keefe is our coach)

KOZ37

May 17, 2010
The Bruins were also a much better team last year than this years' version

Boston is a beatable team, but the Leafs have been determined to make stupid errors that allow the Bruins to capitalize. They need to play a structured game and wait for moments to use their skill (unfortunately, Keefe is our coach)
I think we could probably simplify it even further. Special teams has made all the difference in the series. I will say though that Coyle and Zacha have stepped up big for the Bruins this year and even outscored Bergeron and DK from last year. Geekie and Heinen have been great too and all four lines have been solid all year. I'm just hoping Brazeau can return soon. If Poitras can give them anything next year it will be a bonus.

Buds17

Nov 29, 2015
Hi Guys....Bruins fan here just wanting to talk hockey. If the Leafs do happen to lose this series where do you place the most blame? Keefe? Management? The players? Do you think heads roll if they do lose? I've never really been impressed with Keefe and feel you deserve better, but have they given him a complete team? I did like their pickups at the deadline and thought it might stabilize the defense, but maybe the real need is a #1 D and shift the others down A notch? Tweak the D and get a better goalie and have to think the Leafs can compete with anyone right? Just wondering your thoughts.

As a long suffering Red Sox fan and Bruins fan before both teams won I feel your frustrations....
Management is a tough one because we have a President who has overseen a lot and a GM who hasn't been here for anywhere near as long of a time in comparison. It'd be tough and bordering on the impossible to not point the finger at the players who cannot seem to generate much offence and the coach who just can't seem to coax that out of them. The defensive play overall and goaltending also haven't been good enough, often enough.

Reactions: KOZ37

TheGreatOne11

Jun 29, 2009
Toronto
I just hope Matthews and Nylander are still bullying Marner so he can be awake from puck drop tomorrow night.

It's just fate this is going to 7 against Boston, we have a 10% chance of winning this series so I'll be optimistic for the next few days in hopes of the Leafs not being the Leafs for once.

My honest opinion is that this team needs to change. Top to bottom. It needs a new identify, it needs a legitimate system in place that everyone buys into and it needs to allocate serious funds to the back end and between the pipes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad