Torey Krug Season Ending Surgery

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Stealth JD

Don't condescend me, man.
Sponsor
Jan 16, 2006
Bonita Springs, FL
Ok, then they’re primed to miss the playoffs for a long time

How’s that?
In the 56 year history of the St. Louis Blues, they’ve missed the playoffs fewer times than the Sabres have in the past dozen years. FACT

It would be surprising if they weren’t back in the post-season in the next two years; possibly as soon as next (though I expect them to finish 9th in the West and 16th overall again this season).

Arthur Morgan

Jul 6, 2016
Toronto
www.youtube.com
Maybe. Though I wouldn't completely rule out a deep playoff run in there if everything goes right.

Look - I'm as big of a proponent of the scotched earth, full rebuild. Hoping it pays off for the Devils. But it's not always the best strategy for a team the moment the future looks a bit shaky. Can't just start selling off all their top players for whatever return they can get and guarantee 5+ years of misery for your fanbase.

Yeah, there's no point in rushing him back at all until (unless?) he's completely healthy. That being said, I'm sure they hope to have him available next season.
Blues can be either really good, or not good enough to go anywhere, and not bad enough to get a good pick. really need the kids to breakout again

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
Is this the end of Krug playing in the NHL and going LTIretire or do we think Surgery will get him back on track?

It's an ankle surgery, he's just 33yrs old, I think he'll be back very late in the season if his rehab goes very well. He's still a pretty solid player at 33, almost put up 40pts on a very up and down Blues team.

Of course, I am being overly optimistic here, from reading his issues though, yeah he might be done.

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
"Primed for a lengthy rebuild"?!?!?

Are you even vaguely familiar with the Blues' roster? There is no rebuild on the horizon.
There should be. They’re a super mid team not even capable of making playoffs, in hockey purgatory. They have a few nice pieces but yeah… they’re not going far.

Sucks for Krug though. I think he’s criminally underrated and would have been a huge addition could he stay healthy. And being almost 200 pounds at 5’9, he’s basically built like a fire hydrant. He’s not small or soft, just short.

Reactions: Reality Czech

Rafafouille

May 12, 2015
QC
Ok, then they’re primed to miss the playoffs for a long time

How’s that?

Do you live in some parallel world I'm not aware exists where the Blues are trash? They missed by 6 points this year, were on a 99pts pace with Bannister, their core is mid 20s, early 30s. I'd think they're more likely to make it this year than the Kings or the Knights.

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Do you live in some parallel world I'm not aware exists where the Blues are trash? They missed by 6 points this year, were on a 99pts pace with Bannister, their core is mid 20s, early 30s. I'd think they're more likely to make it this year than the Kings or the Knights.
I live in the real world where they aren’t a playoff team

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
@Nogatco Rd said: "And yet ppl laughed when I picked the sens over Boston. These old broken down players will be an albacore around their necks by the end of the season , mark my words."

So I guess the albatross is a protected species now? :huh:

The deal stinks, aka an albacore around your neck. Makes perfect sense. How the hell is an albatross gonna end up around someone’s neck? Feels like someone would warn about that. Plus you’d have to kill an albatross, which would be pointlessly cruel.

Seriously though, what a mess of an original post.

• Wow
Reactions: JMCx4

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Both of these teams are far better at both forward and D than the Blues.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
While this sucks for Krug, at least his head is in the right place with spending time with his kids and getting this taken care of so he has a better quality of life afterwards.

It'll give blokes like Broberg a chance to really step up and I hope POJ takes that opportunity to shine as well.

Under Bannister the Blues were 12th in the league for goals against per game. They were allowing 3.22 per game before that and 2.93 after Drew took over. I think the Blues will be fine defensively, I think they've made enough improvements there to be fine without Krug.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Blows my mind that they missed the playoffs by six points when they were absolute dog water by possession metrics last year. 48% goal share at 5v5.

Their expected goal share was 43.65%.
Only two teams worse in the NHL were SJ and Chicago. You don't get out chanced that badly and come close to playoffs two seasons in a row.

• Haha
Reactions: Tryblot

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Blows my mind that they missed the playoffs by six points when they were absolute dog water by possession metrics last year. 48% goal share at 5v5.

Only two teams worse in the NHL were SJ and Chicago. You don't get out chanced that badly and come close to playoffs two seasons in a row.
Yes they’ve been a mess defensively. They’ve made a lot of changes this offseason to address that though, especially up front. Bringing in Joseph, Texier, Holloway and Faksa really helps their forward group play more of a two-way game. They had too many forwards in the lineup last season that weren’t interested in that. On the blue line, Broberg and Suter/POJ are certainly at least better defensively than Krug and Perunovich.

So the team got better. Will they make the playoffs? Who knows, because they also need young players like Kessel, Bolduc and Neighbours to take another step for that to happen. But they should certainly be in contention for a wild card spot. This isn’t a crap team that is finishing below 80 points or anything like that.

I dunno if they have good goaltending. Binnington is inconsistent as hell, though he was good last year. Hofer might be good but it’s too soon to say.
I do know they have good goaltending. Binnington really isn’t that inconsistent, he’s been playing behind an awful defensive team for the past few years (see my reply above). People look at his numbers and think he was bad in 22-23 for example but quite honestly he was one of the team’s best players that year. That’s how bad the rest of the team was.

Hofer has been a good prospect for a while and looked great as a rookie. It would be very surprising if he regressed at this point. He’s got the tools.

Bank Shot

Jan 18, 2006
Yes they’ve been a mess defensively. They’ve made a lot of changes this offseason to address that though, especially up front. Bringing in Joseph, Texier, Holloway and Faksa really helps their forward group play more of a two-way game. They had too many forwards in the lineup last season that weren’t interested in that. On the blue line, Broberg and Suter/POJ are certainly at least better defensively than Krug and Perunovich.

So the team got better. Will they make the playoffs? Who knows, because they also need young players like Kessel, Bolduc and Neighbours to take another step for that to happen. But they should certainly be in contention for a wild card spot. This isn’t a crap team that is finishing below 80 points or anything like that.

I do know they have good goaltending. Binnington really isn’t that inconsistent, he’s been playing behind an awful defensive team for the past few years (see my reply above). People look at his numbers and think he was bad in 22-23 for example but quite honestly he was one of the team’s best players that year. That’s how bad the rest of the team was.

Hofer has been a good prospect for a while and looked great as a rookie. It would be very surprising if he regressed at this point. He’s got the tools.
Most probable range is 80-90, but below 80 points wouldn't surprise me if the goaltending falters at all.

Holloway isn't really a two-way guy. He would have gotten a lot more playing time, if that was a strength. The other guys you mention aren't really guys that are going to make an impact on games IMO. I don't see how a bunch of fringe parts are going to make the core of the team carry the play, 5v5.

Reactions: MessierII

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

This is kind of a theme with the Blues since Pietrangelo left. They have a number of good pure shooters, so they have fairly consistently outpaced the expected goal share by ~5% for a few years now. That I don't expect to change, but also I don't know how Blues fans have playoff expectations with a defense with 2 2Ds, a 4D and 3 6/7 Ds and the bottom 9 projecting as it is.

Louie the Blue

Because it's a trap
Jul 27, 2010
Both of these teams are far better at both forward and D than the Blues.
Vegas sure.

LA no.

This is kind of a theme with the Blues since Pietrangelo left. They have a number of good pure shooters, so they have fairly consistently outpaced the expected goal share by ~5% for a few years now. That I don't expect to change, but also I don't know how Blues fans have playoff expectations with a defense with 2 2Ds, a 4D and 3 6/7 Ds and the bottom 9 projecting as it is.
Binnington/Hofer nearly dragged the team to a PO spot alone.

Not saying they’re a good team or even division contender, just that them being a WC team is possible.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Vegas sure.

LA no.
The kings have a much better top 4 D and have better depth at forward.
Binnington/Hofer nearly dragged the team to a PO spot alone.

Not saying they’re a good team or even division contender, just that them being a WC team is possible.

Binnington & Hofer had a great year last year, but the Blues are worse on the back end and haven't added the play drivers to match up front. They've added better defensive forwards, but if that can't translate to clean zone entries and quality offensive possession, the team doesn't actually improve. People have been saying "better two way" as a stand in for better defensively, but those don't mean the same thing.

MessierII

Aug 10, 2011
The kings have a much better top 4 D and have better depth at forward.
Not only that the kings are one of the most structured, strongest defensive teams in the league. The blues are the complete opposite of that.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Most probable range is 80-90, but below 80 points wouldn't surprise me if the goaltending falters at all.

Holloway isn't really a two-way guy. He would have gotten a lot more playing time, if that was a strength. The other guys you mention aren't really guys that are going to make an impact on games IMO. I don't see how a bunch of fringe parts are going to make the core of the team carry the play, 5v5.
Not worried about the goaltending.

Holloway is also 22 and already showing signs of being a two-way player. And he should definitely improve in that area with more experience, which we will provide to him better than Edmonton.

You don’t consider them impact players because they don’t put up big numbers. Those guys absolutely impact games on the PK (where we have been weak lately) and in the defensive zone. It makes a difference.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad