News Article: Torey Krug confident he can be a top-four defenseman for Bruins

slim399

May 1, 2002
Boston
Visit site
I like the idea of Krug playing on the 2nd pair with Seidenberg and Morrow graduating to the 3rd pair with Mcquaid.

I am hoping with experience Krug's defensive game will improve more and more. I am really hoping he can turn into a Brian Rafalski type player.

BruinsBtn

Dec 24, 2006
That's the right attitude.

I think he's underrated around here because he doesn't fit the Bruins mold.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
I like Krug, and as others have said, he has a great attitude.
I think he can be a #4 at some point of his career, maybe not this year though.
It's too bad that he's a small player, he would have potential to be a top pairing Dman if he was Hamilton's size IMO. The guy doesn't shy away from throwing hits.

Bruinswillwin77

My name is Pete
Sponsor
May 29, 2011
Hooksett, NH
The more i think of it I would consider him among the top 10 defenseman in the league on the powerplay. Would anyone agree with that? or do I just love the b`s that much that I am delusional.

I agree. The other 9 defenseman are who? Karlsson, Subban, Suter, Green, Weber, OEL(I don't even know if Arizona uses him on the the PP, just assuming?)

Last edited:

toasterjam

Sep 23, 2014
Mass
Krug really elevates his play for big games, I love the intensity he brings.

I am happy going with the Krug experiment in the top 4, see what he can do.
I do think Krug and eventually Joe Morrow will become solid top 4 guys, a 3-4 pairing.

Eddie Munson

This year is my year. I can feel it. ‘86 baby!
Jul 11, 2008
Really hope this experiment comes to fruition. He's one of the few players on the roster who has actually earned an extended look in a bigger role. Can't say enough good things about him and I hope he sticks. He may not have the body or frame of your prototypical Bruin but he certainly has the heart and the intestinal fortitude.

He has some Dustin Pedroia in him. I like that.

Now whenever he scores with one of his monster slap shots all I'm going to be thinking is "laser show" :laugh:

BlackCrowes

Sep 10, 2014
Sunny Old Lyme
Kirk had a very lengthy (so lengthy it's broken down into two parts) chat with Mr Krug. Here is part one

https://scoutingpost.wordpress.com/2015/08/12/summer-cooler-interview-series-2-torey-krug-pt-1/

I said to Kirk on a tweet earlier this year that in season where a lot of the players went from game to game looking like they could barely stay interested on the ice, Krug busted his rear end game in and game out. And he has since he got here. He's earned the chance to audition for a top 4 role in my opinion...

tburns21

Jul 22, 2015
If Seidenberg stays and can get back to soemthing close to his old form and play the right side and have Krug on his left they'd be a good 2nd pairing. that would leave some question marks in the 3rd pairing as an Irwin/Mcquaid combo could be a little slower paced. and that would leave K Miller as your odd man out and inserts trorman into the top pairing with Chara

Chara-Trotman
Krug-Seids
Irwin-Mqcuaid
ex K miller
Call ups Morrow/C Miller

there's a bit of a log jam and wouldn't be shocked if trotman or K miller was moved in a deal for picks to a team that could use cheap but possible up and coming talents.

OutspokenMinority*

I am guessing you are referring to my last post. Ok well i`d love for him to prove you wrong.

sorry i meant the op. as to your point, i've wondered where that line was often. 10 sounds reasonable. i don't see enough out of town games to really know.

but no, even at his best torey is not a top 4 defenseman, imo. (edit: although the Don rightly sees himself in the kruger so he'll get an extended opportunity. i just don't think he's built for top 4)

Last edited by a moderator:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Theres no question we have to try him as a top 4 as he makes too much money to remain a bottom pairing guy. Its a swim or sink situation.

I wish i had more confidence that a guy his size can handle non-protected matchups more effectively but i got my fingers crossed

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
If Seidenberg stays and can get back to soemthing close to his old form and play the right side and have Krug on his left they'd be a good 2nd pairing. that would leave some question marks in the 3rd pairing as an Irwin/Mcquaid combo could be a little slower paced. and that would leave K Miller as your odd man out and inserts trorman into the top pairing with Chara

Chara-Trotman
Krug-Seids
Irwin-Mqcuaid
ex K miller
Call ups Morrow/C Miller

there's a bit of a log jam and wouldn't be shocked if trotman or K miller was moved in a deal for picks to a team that could use cheap but possible up and coming talents.

I love McQuaid, but signing him to that extension really screwed us in terms of Miller's development.....unless someone is moved or goes down with a long term injury. Miller is too good to not see regular minutes.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
sorry i meant the op. as to your point, i've wondered where that line was often. 10 sounds reasonable. i don't see enough out of town games to really know.

but no, even at his best torey is not a top 4 defenseman, imo. (edit: although the Don rightly sees himself in the kruger so he'll get an extended opportunity. i just don't think he's built for top 4)

There are small D players in the top4, you can be small but you can't be small and weak, Krug's strong and he looks bigger now.

I'm watching 2013 highlights from youtube, we have to see playoff games next year :laugh and we are going to need Krug's speed badly.

Last edited:

GoBs

Nov 21, 2009
USA
Love him . No doubt in my mind he can be a second pairing guy here

Disagree, got a good look when Dougie went down at the end of last year and it was not good. PP and fifth or sixth guy with a ridiculous salary.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
I've wondered how he would be as a winger before, a less chirpy Marchand type.

If he was willing to try wing id give him a couple games tryout there before i trade him. First try him at top 4 defense... but if that doest work id try him at wing.

My last resort is to trade him UNLESS i get blown away with a off now. Krug clearly impresses many people. His trade value today might be sky high to some gm's

I need a comparable pp qb coming back before i deal krug... someone like byfuglinor yandle. If krug is the cost to get one of these type of guys i make the move but not if we cant get someone like this back.

Seidenbergy

Nov 2, 2012
Disagree, got a good look when Dougie went down at the end of last year and it was not good. PP and fifth or sixth guy with a ridiculous salary.

Except Krug and Dougie play opposite sides, so his injury had nothing to do with what line Krug played on. Are you thinking of McQuaid?

Dellstrom

Pastrnasty
May 1, 2011
Boston
Love him. For what he and Marshy lack in height they make up for in drive.

He's earned a chance there and I think he'll succeed. Can't believe we got this guy for nothing. He's a game changer. There are 29 other teams that would KILL for him. I hope he does take that next step this year, we need him to.

cobrak

Feb 27, 2002
Hockeyland
I'm pretty sure Sweeney will give him a shot despite his size considering he is almost exactly the same size as Sweeney was.

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
He's got plenty of offense but he needs to work on his defense. Pair him with a stay at homer for now anyway.

I don't worry that much about his size except for potential injury, he is certainly fearless out there.

But he's got to improve his defense.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad