Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] T.J. Brodie signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $5M AAV) II

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
I suspect that Tanev might have a smoother transition playing with Hanifin than Brodie will have playing with Rielly. So much of Brodie's success flowed from having Gio as his partner. We shall see.
Possibly.
Who knows.
I'm not going to act like I know the ins and outs of Brodie; but Rielly doesn't need a beast linemate. His best years were with Hainsey ffs.
I wouldn't put it past Keefe to even try Muzzin/Brodie. Everyone gets caught up in 'paper champs' but if Rielly only needs an insulator like Bogosian and it solidifies a strong other 2 pairings.... I think it's worth a shot. Same can be said for Simmonds filtered in the top6. (Everyone screams, "that lineup looks bad, or slow " - all teams have different looks and they dont all have to be "HF approved lines")

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Then there's a lot of idiots then because Leafs are not the only team in that situation many teams will be hard pressed to ice 23 man compliant rosters. But I dont expect that kind of objective research Leafs and only the Leafs have this issues and are idiots......
Yes, I suspect a number of teams will struggle to ice a full 23 man roster this year and perhaps the next. However, those than can only ice 20... that's just poor cap management... flat cap or no flat cap and they likely had issues before this season.

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Possibly.
Who knows.
I'm not going to act like I know the ins and outs of Brodie; but Rielly doesn't need a beast linemate. His best years were with Hainsey ffs.
I wouldn't put it past Keefe to even try Muzzin/Brodie. Everyone gets caught up in 'paper champs' but if Rielly only needs an insulator like Bogosian and it solidifies a strong other 2 pairings.... I think it's worth a shot. Same can be said for Simmonds filtered in the top6. (Everyone screams, "that lineup looks bad, or slow " - all teams have different looks and they dont all have to be "HF approved lines")
I'm not so much worried about how Rielly will adjust.. I'm sure he will be fine. I'm more concerned about Brodie. He may be fine... then again without Giordano, he may struggle. This is a guy who's played with one team for his whole career and for a large part, one linemate. Its a gamble.... like most UFA signings.

DomBarr

Apr 7, 2014
I'm not so much worried about how Rielly will adjust.. I'm sure he will be fine. I'm more concerned about Brodie. He may be fine... then again without Giordano, he may struggle. This is a guy who's played with one team for his whole career and for a large part, one linemate. Its a gamble.... like most UFA signings.
Brodie has played fine without Gio. That said I think he will look like a fish out of water playing with Reilly but will settle in playing alongside Muzzin which will lead the finicky leaf fans out there to declare the signing terrible when $5 M for a 2nd pairing dman is just fine

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Brodie has played fine without Gio. That said I think he will look like a fish out of water playing with Reilly but will settle in playing alongside Muzzin which will lead the finicky leaf fans out there to declare the signing terribleM for a 2nd pairing dman is just fine
That's debatable. He was brutal playing with Hamonic. At that time a lot of Flames fans wanted to trade him for a bag of used pucks. He has always played his best with Gio. To claim otherwise is being disingenuous.

Last edited:
Reactions: CF84 and Mitts

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Being over the cap and not have 23 players is the work of idiots...

Your team has drafted top 8 since 2013 and you have missed on every pick outside the top 2 since 2014, you don't have any room to be taking shots at anybody

Reactions: Mitts

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Brodie has played fine without Gio. That said I think he will look like a fish out of water playing with Reilly but will settle in playing alongside Muzzin which will lead the finicky leaf fans out there to declare the signing terrible when $5 M for a 2nd pairing dman is just fine

Brodie was clearly brought in the play with Rielly because Muzzin and Holl is a paring that works

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
That's debatable. He was brutal playing with Hanifin. At that time a lot of Flames fans wanted to trade him for a bag of used pucks. He has always played his best with Gio. To claim otherwise is being disingenuous.

Brodie pretty much never played with Hanifin.

Brodie looked very good for spurts of games with Engelland or Stone as his partner, but never really worked with Hamonic and he looked terrible carrying around old-man Wideman. Those are the only guys he’s really played with other than Giordano over the years.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
Brodie pretty much never played with Hanifin.

Brodie looked very good for spurts of games with Engelland or Stone as his partner, but never really worked with Hamonic and he looked terrible carrying around old-man Wideman. Those are the only guys he’s really played with other than Giordano over the years.
My mistake. I meant Hamonic not Hanifin. I blame my mistake on old age senility and the fact that Hamonic, thankfully, is no longer with the team. Out of sight out of mind as they say.

Edit: I've corrected my post. Thanks for bringing my posting error to my attention.

Reactions: Ginger Papa and ESH

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
That's debatable. He was brutal playing with Hamonic. At that time a lot of Flames fans wanted to trade him for a bag of used pucks. He has always played his best with Gio. To claim otherwise is being disingenuous.

Maybe he's only good on his off side.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

Could be the same issue Rielly had with teams focusing his partner on the forecheck because they can't move the puck at all.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Leafs are about a million over, send down Travis Boyd, and Nickolas Robertson that's 1.5 million cleared, send down Sandin that's almost 2.4 million cleared.

It's not hard
Except that you forgot that they're already $1.05M over the cap.

Some of these moves will need to be made before the season starts...

It's normally a wise thing to look at the complete picture.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010

The post you qouted literally says they are about 1 million over the cap so how did I forget they were 1.05 million over?

Send Travis Boyd and Rasmus Sandin down and they are under, or Travis Boyd and Nickolas Robertson, or all 3.

Or maybe it's Vesey and Boyd, Vesey seems unlikely but he's an option.

There are ways to get under the cap whatever is done won't be hard

Reactions: qqaz

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
(1) The post you qouted literally says they are about 1 million over the cap so how did I forget they were 1.05 million over?

Send Travis Boyd and Rasmus Sandin down and they are under, or Travis Boyd and Nickolas Robertson, or all 3.

Or maybe it's Vesey and Boyd, Vesey seems unlikely but he's an option.

There are ways to get under the cap whatever is done won't be hard
(1) You're right. Sorry.

But wasn't the point of mentioning cap space the fact that the initial post I quoted in this sub-thread stated the Leafs could add a significant piece at the trading deadline ?

How could they do that when cramped against the ceiling ?

BoredBrandonPridham

Aug 9, 2011
(1) You're right. Sorry.

But wasn't the point of mentioning cap space the fact that the initial post I quoted in this sub-thread stated the Leafs could add a significant piece at the trading deadline ?

I broke that down here:

here it is:

Updated line up

Barely $80m with a 21 man roster. Accruing cap space as the season goes on because we are not using ltir.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
(1) You're right. Sorry.

You do know that cap space grows right? Let's say the Leafs send down Boyd, Robertson and Sandin and run a 20 man roster, not the best idea but they can do it.

They would be about 1.4 million under, slightly less actually but i'm rounding up.

By the time the deadline rolls arounds about 80% of a players salary is paid so so 1 million in cap space can net you a 5 million dollar player.

So if the Leafs go into the deadline with 1.4 million in space they would have enough to add an Adam Larsson, Conor Murphy David Savard, Kyle Palmeri or whoever is available.

They certainly have the assets to do it since the only year they haven't had a 1st since 2010 is 2019.

Reactions: qqaz and Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN

The team will accumulate capspace over the course of the season via things like paper transactions, ect.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
You do know that cap space grows right? Let's say the Leafs send down Boyd, Robertson and Sandin and run a 20 man roster, not the best idea but they can do it.

They would be about 1.4 million under, slightly less actually but i'm rounding up.

By the time the deadline rolls arounds about 80% of a players salary is paid so so 1 million in cap space can net you a 5 million dollar player.

So if the Leafs go into the deadline with 1.4 million in space they would have enough to add an Adam Larsson, Conor Murphy David Savard, Kyle Palmeri or whoever is available.

They certainly have the assets to do it since the only year they haven't had a 1st since 2010 is 2019.

Paper transactions + thr Marlies being in Toronto makes it very easy to do.

Reactions: qqaz

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Paper transactions + thr Marlies being in Toronto makes it very easy to do.

remember last year when the usual suspects... the realists and objective fans.... swore last year toronto would have to play short?

They ended up being able to retain salary in trades because they had so much more space than assumed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad