Proposal: TOR-SEA

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

jrs

Oct 11, 2017
Why are all trades lately from Toronto Kerfoot and Dermott?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I don't see the need to pay additional assets to swap Kerfoot for Mcann given the role the player will fill on the Leafs roster. Kerfoot has shown he's fine bouncing around the lineup and doesnt need pp time to produce

Leaf Fans

Sep 29, 2017
To Toronto: Mccann, Oleksiak(50% retained)

To Seattle: Kerfoot, Dermott, abramov, 2nd round pick
I don't think Toronto does this. Giving up Kerfoot would be hard, and not likely for a guy the team left unprotected. I like Oleksiak and I think we could use his size though.

Reactions: Nylanderthal

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
I actually think the quantity aspect of this deal and the ability to turn 2 pieces into 4 works okay for Seattle. The way Seattle is losing, it's not like the upfront downgrade on McCann is a major blow to a winning recipe or breaking up their collection of big playoff defensemen is a big disaster.

Get slightly different roster looks, add a pick and a prospect, continue to do the real building through the draft long term, see if Dermott and/or Abramov or the pick turn into anything. Probably spin Kerfoot off into another future asset.

HoseEmDown

Mar 25, 2012
I actually think the quantity aspect of this deal and the ability to turn 2 pieces into 4 works okay for Seattle. The way Seattle is losing, it's not like the upfront downgrade on McCann is a major blow to a winning recipe or breaking up their collection of big playoff defensemen is a big disaster.

Get slightly different roster looks, add a pick and a prospect, continue to do the real building through the draft long term, see if Dermott and/or Abramov or the pick turn into anything. Probably spin Kerfoot off into another future asset.

Maybe the quantity for quality aspect would work if the prospect was Amirov and the pick was a 1st.

McCann is leading Seattle in ppg, I don't see Kerfoot scoring like McCann has in Seattle without Tavares as his C. Oleksiak is Seattle's most physical defensman and a key part of the style they want to play. You also want them to retain 2.3M on him for the next 4 years after this. Dermott isn't a good replacement because he's soft and may not even make the top 6, not sure he's any better than Soucy, Lauzon or Fluery who can't play every night themselves.

This offer is bad for Seattle and even if you switched the picks and prospects like I suggested I can't see them doing it still. McCann should be resigned to be a key part of the top 6 going forward and Oleksiak will be the leader of the defense once Giordano is traded.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Maybe the quantity for quality aspect would work if the prospect was Amirov and the pick was a 1st.

McCann is leading Seattle in ppg, I don't see Kerfoot scoring like McCann has in Seattle without Tavares as his C. Oleksiak is Seattle's most physical defensman and a key part of the style they want to play. You also want them to retain 2.3M on him for the next 4 years after this. Dermott isn't a good replacement because he's soft and may not even make the top 6, not sure he's any better than Soucy, Lauzon or Fluery who can't play every night themselves.

This offer is bad for Seattle and even if you switched the picks and prospects like I suggested I can't see them doing it still. McCann should be resigned to be a key part of the top 6 going forward and Oleksiak will be the leader of the defense once Giordano is traded.

Don't get too carried away with the hyperbole. The Leafs had McCann for a brief moment and had options to keep him. So even if McCann is a clear step or two ahead of Kerfoot, (which I think he is), it's not like the organization viewed him as much more than a 50/50. They're not going to be throwing in Amirov and a 1st.

Nylanderthal

Jun 9, 2010
Don't get too carried away with the hyperbole. The Leafs had McCann for a brief moment and had options to keep him. So even if McCann is a clear step or two ahead of Kerfoot, (which I think he is), it's not like the organization viewed him as much more than a 50/50. They're not going to be throwing in Amirov and a 1st.
It was never Kerfoot/McCann as they were always both going to be exposed, it was Kerfoot/McCann vs Holl. The only way to of kept mccann would’ve of been to go 7-3-1 exposing Dermott Holl Engvall etc. McCann was only ever seen as insurance.

CreeksideStrangler

Feb 9, 2011
Toronto, ON
Kerfoot > McCann for the Leafs.

Kerfy has been our clear cut 5th best forward. No idea why we would move him

Matthews
Marner
Tavarez
Bunting
Nylander
Spezza

all better than Kerfoot

I would even argue Kase is too as he definately looks like a far more complete player and would produce more if given kerfoot duties.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad