Proposal: Tor - Phi

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
To Toronto -
Samuel Morin

To Philadelphia -
Kasperi Kapanen

----
Big Dman to Toronto, albeit LH - but still of a need for size.
Skilled winger to Philadelphia - dads former stomping grounds.

Both players seems to be stuck behind bloated pools of prospects at their position; potential to break-out with some playing time.

3rd pairing: Morin-Zeitsev

3rd line: Kapanen-Laughton-Read

Last edited:

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
Philly says no, give something really good if you want him, cuz Morin is not struggeling...

Halla

Jan 28, 2016
if we are moving kapanen, we need a RHD.

Rielly
Gardiner
Marincin
Dermott
Nielsen
Loov
Valiev

all set at LD

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Pass from the Leafs end, not that I think Morin is bad player but Kapanen is the safer NHL pick and he can play both wings so that versatility helps a lot.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Philly says no, give something really good if you want him, cuz Morin is not struggeling...

wait - who said he was?
Unless you mean struggling to find a roster spot? than possibly.
I think both players have good potential but the depth charts are thick and likely to get pushed back even further.

JayRosehillMVP

snubbed again
May 28, 2012
Philadelphia
Morin is a much safer bet to be an nhler. He's a 6'7" dman with wheels. Kapanen is a top 6 or bust guy who's struggled so far, though I'm rooting for him. Id rather the flyers trade none of our high end d prospects, but if we were to I would say Sanheim for an equally high end forward prospect is the most likely deal.

TheGroceryStick

Jan 19, 2009
Ontario Canada
Morin is a much safer bet to be an nhler. He's a 6'7" dman with wheels. Kapanen is a top 6 or bust guy who's struggled so far, though I'm rooting for him. Id rather the flyers trade none of our high end d prospects, but if we were to I would say Sanheim for an equally high end forward prospect is the most likely deal.
Interesting.
I actually thought Kapanen as the safer prospect. Morin has nice size, but it also has the potential to get exposed in the NHL- whereas Kapenen is following the new NHL prototype(if. You will)
Not to mention, i see a complete player that has the ability to play 3rd line , good wheels. with top 6 potential - rather than top6 or bust.
Respect your opinion on dealing with your depth, i just saw some different need/wants and wanted to see if it fit.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Neither party should be insulted with the proposal, if it's a matter of sticking with the prospect you know...that makes sense.

LeafsNation149

Feb 4, 2013

Honestly I think Kapanen is pretty safe to be atleast a 3rd liner in the NHL. He has 2nd line potential as well.

I'd do this deal

The Assclown

Dec 7, 2015

How has Kapanen been struggling? :laugh:

Jul 10, 2003
KW

A 6'7" dman is never "a much safer bet to be an nhlr".

Strongly disagree about Kapanen being top 6 or bust, he's got high end 3rd liner written all over him.

Dustin

Sep 24, 2014
The Leafs are not far enough into the rebuild to be trading away blue chip prospects. Kapanen as a 19 year old had a great AHL season. I think a lot of people forget how young he is still. Now we need to see if he can translate that to the NHL in the next year or so.

Not going to knock Morin at all but if Kapanen and Morin continue to develop we can always revisit a trade down the road. I am sure Philly would like to see what they have in their guy too before flipping him.

Mad Brills*

Again, I'd rather move kapanen for a RHD.

Like a certain blackhawks prospect.

Randy Randerson

Jul 28, 2016
Hamilton

Kapanen is speedy and was used in a defensive role alot this year on the Marlies, there was another thread on HF boards that compared his future to Carl Hagelin.

Hasn't really struggled either, he was buried on a very deep Marlies team that was heavily favoured to win the Calder Cup, so didn't get the opportunity to excel offensively. He also just turned 20, many players his age were still playing junior last year, and he has at least demonstrated that his game translates to pro hockey.

That being said, I don't think now is a good time to trade Kapanen as he hasn't had a chance to show his offensive abilities, and he should get more opportunity this year with the graduation of Nylander, Brown, Leivo and possibly others who were playing in the top 6 last year on the Marlies

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Tinordi 2.0 for Collberg 2.0

Can you sticky this so we can laugh at it latter. Ever since Tinordi busted, people assume Morin will. Just watch and see.

Provy Sanheim
Morin Ghost

That is our future top 4. Plus we have Gudas kicking around until Myers, Friedman and Hagg make a push to the NHL.

Morin is right on target. He was always expected to take longer to reach the NHL...more of a project.

Drafted
Saw his points double
Made WJC
Saw him finish top 5 in PPG in QMJHL
Started in AHL as a rookie, finished season on the top pairing

That is steady progress. He is right in target. He likely starts in the AHL, and by 2017 season, he will be in the NHL.

As for Kapanen, he needs to beat out:
Voracek
Simmonds
Schenn
Konecny
Lindblom
Aube-Kubel
....for a top 9 winger spot. We don't NEED Kapanen. We NEED to fix our defense. Morin is part of that solution. He brings something that no other D prospect brings...size, speed and MEANNESS. His play style fits the other prospects perfectly.

joez86

Jan 20, 2006
The Flyers are extremely unlikely to entertain any prospect swaps.

In fact, these kinds of deals seem to be pretty rare across the board, except in cases where each team has soured a bit on their pick and the other side feels a "change of scenery" would benefit.

It is safe to say that neither Morin nor Kapanen fit that bill.

Kelly

Nov 12, 2012

First thing I thought of when I read this :laugh:

Value is definitely close I'd say, not sure if the Leafs would be interested in giving up on Kapanen this early, but fair deal nevertheless.

Mad Brills*

not sure if the Leafs would be interested in giving up on Kapanen this early

There are a couple of other options that would make more sense for a kapanen deal.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
To Toronto -
Samuel Morin

To Philadelphia -
Kasperi Kapanen

----
Big Dman to Toronto, albeit LH - but still of a need for size.
Skilled winger to Philadelphia - dads former stomping grounds.

Both players seems to be stuck behind bloated pools of prospects at their position; potential to break-out with some playing time.

3rd pairing: Morin-Zeitsev

3rd line: Kapanen-Laughton-Read

No thanks from the Flyers.

Morin will fill a major need on their defense in the future. Big, strong, mobile shutdown down/PKer to balance out the puck-moving Ghost, Sanheim, or Provorov. We have plenty of skilled wingers now and in the future. We only have one prospect like Morin.

I do like Kapanen FWIW.

Most I would trade for him would be Robert Hagg + Matt Read or 3rd.

Hagg has top 4 LD potential. Very good bet to play solid bottom pair minutes even if he doesnt pan out. Read would give TO a veteran defensively responsible forward that can chip in 30 points and PK to help them crawl out of basement. Toronto probably declines.

Rebels57

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Morin is Tinordi 2.0 in that he more than doubled Tinordi's post draft PPG in Junior.

Morin:
Draft +1: 0.57 PPG
Draft +2: 0.84 PPG

Tinordi:
Draft +1: 0.22 PPG
Draft +2: 0.33 PPG

Lmao. It was a good try by Kobe Armstrong though.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad