Proposal: TOR-NYI

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

MattyNew91

Jul 5, 2018
I think dermott or holl have to go the other way for cap reasons. But I'd be willing to trade a 1st and prospect the other way for just Mayfield, hes a cheap top 4 right handed dman and brings an element the leafs lack on the backend. I would say choose one of Abruzzese, Holmberg, or Hirovonen. The leafs get a top 4 dman with term and there could be a possibility in the offseason muzzin gets moved and then you have sandin and Mayfield as your 2nd pair. Mayfield is a player that's tough to get around with that reach and the physicality he plays with we need on the backend especially in playoffs. I dont think clutterbuck is the right fit but definitely need more grit up front just I think in the top 9 more so than the 4th line.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
So put a respectable offer that isn’t a cap dump, mediocre prospect and mid round pick. The issue is that no one wants Dermott/Holl/Kerfoot or formerly trade Nick Ritchie in return. This is why this keeps going in circles. If there’s comparable guys, great. Go trade the end of the bench leftovers and cap dumps for them. The islanders just aren’t interested.
I never said the op's deal was good or what islanders fans want. My entire point is there are many other options some better some comparable and a lot worse. Why spend a 1st plus knies for Mayfield when a 1st sandin and knies can potentially land you chychurn. Mayfield just isn't worth the overpayment islander fans are looking for. Most id pay is 1st plus Robertson and dermott for cap. Hes not worth anymore then that.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
Wow almost seems like you are convinced that the Isles can do no wrong!

You keep mentioning Savard as a perfect example of why Mayfield will receive a massive return. Why not use Devon Toews as a more relevant example instead? Your GM couldn’t even land a 1st for a top pairing Dman, yet you are expecting closer to two 1st round picks in exchange for Mayfield?

As you might have already noticed, Mayfield is going to be a UFA in a couple seasons, and we all know NYI is one of the most undesirable teams that free agents want to play for. Uncle Lou will either need to give Mayfield a big long-term extension, or lose him for nothing.

Me personally…I see the need for the Isles to move him. There is a big rush and reason to move him around the deadline, because next year he will be on an expiring contract.

First off Toews was a totally different situation
1. He was a cap casualty. He was a younger unproven player . He played about a season and a half and they decided at the time Leddy was a better fit. They were wrong but that was the reason. Also playing into their decision to move him is that he had a really bad playoff series. We obviously got screwed with the trade at the time 2 2nd rounders didn't seem too bad. Isles fans weren't thrilled. We have learned from our mistakes and to me we now know the market for someone like Savard and to a certain extend Mayfield.

2. Not sure why you are under the assumption that I think my Isles can do no wrong. They suck this year and Lou and Barry f***ed up the roster. To me, I want Barry gone and replace him with someone with a little more open offensvie system and to play the damn kids like Wahlstrom, bellows, etc, etc on a regular basis.

3. Do I expect 2 1st rounder? I don't know what the hell teams will pay for players at the deadline. But I know I'm not going to even consider less than Savard's cost. Yes I think he should net more than him, again make of it as you will.

4. Lastly, like you said...to me it's a moot point I'm not dealing him. I don't think the Isles should, if you do we are down to Pelech, Pulock and Dobson and that's it! We have nothing in the system that's ready. I don't like Salo or Aho. So we move Mayfield, we are looking for 3 Defensemen in the off-season. To me that's just stupid. I don't like Holl or Dermott before you go there.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
I never said the op's deal was good or what islanders fans want. My entire point is there are many other options some better some comparable and a lot worse. Why spend a 1st plus knies for Mayfield when a 1st sandin and knies can potentially land you chychurn. Mayfield just isn't worth the overpayment islander fans are looking for. Most id pay is 1st plus Robertson and dermott for cap. Hes not worth anymore then that.

As an islander fan. If Toronto is willing to move those pieces for Chychurn. I think you should, think he'd be a good fit. You guys are in a now win mode.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
As an islander fan. If Toronto is willing to move those pieces for Chychurn. I think you should, think he'd be a good fit. You guys are in a now win mode.
I would as well but then we have muzzin on the 3rd pair at 5 + million. Thats fine for this season but not for next or further ahead.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
The point is that there’s no reason for the Islanders to make the move other then the Leafs wanting a cheap physical RHD who can play top 4 minutes. The pieces being offered consistently don’t do anything to make the islanders move him. Robertson being brought up consistently in deals reminds me too much of Long Island boy Jeremy Bracco and we all know how he turned out. Dermott, like I’ve stated before is a bottoming pairing soft LHD with too much term that’s useless for the Islanders moving forward. These two teams aren’t a match trade wise. Mayfield will be moved for a substantial overpayment, not a mediocre defensemen/late pick/b prospect.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
The point is that there’s no reason for the Islanders to make the move other then the Leafs wanting a cheap physical RHD who can play top 4 minutes. The pieces being offered consistently don’t do anything to make the islanders move him. Robertson being brought up consistently in deals reminds me too much of Long Island boy Jeremy Bracco and we all know how he turned out. Dermott, like I’ve stated before is a bottoming pairing soft LHD with too much term that’s useless for the Islanders moving forward. These two teams aren’t a match trade wise. Mayfield will be moved for a substantial overpayment, not a mediocre defensemen/late pick/b prospect.
What it makes you feel like is irrelevant. Robertson is a way better prospect the Branco with an intense work ethic. You couldn't pick two different prospects. If Robertson doesn't get hurt hes playing for the leafs right now. He wouldn't be in any deal for Mayfield. Its an opportunity for another gm to buy low on the kid, and leaf fans offering him in deals only do so because they are told constantly we offer crap for gold. Also unless the leafs can resign Mayfield i believe we lose the trade if we offer the 1st plus Robertson but you have to give to get.

Glorydays22

Nov 21, 2011
What it makes you feel like is irrelevant. Robertson is a way better prospect the Branco with an intense work ethic. You couldn't pick two different prospects. If Robertson doesn't get hurt hes playing for the leafs right now. He wouldn't be in any deal for Mayfield. Its an opportunity for another gm to buy low on the kid, and leaf fans offering him in deals only do so because they are told constantly we offer crap for gold. Also unless the leafs can resign Mayfield i believe we lose the trade if we offer the 1st plus Robertson but you have to give to get.

In my opinion, Isles and Leafs are not good trade partners. Just not a match.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
There’s a reason why people keep saying Leafs fans offer crap for gold. The amount of times I’ve seen the usual Kerfoot/Bracco and a 3rd for quality or similar is insane. Moving Mayfield this year for a prospect who’s best attribute is his work ethic is just adding to the stockpile of AHL players they currently have. Now if Robertsons current development is a consistent 30+ goal scorer who can shoot like Wahlstrom, then there’s room too talk. If he’s just another player who at most will be Beauvillier 2.0, then there’s no need for that. Similar to what was said above, if the Islanders move Mayfield the return is similar to what Columbus got for David Savard. They have honestly no reason to move him this year with him having an additional year left and making peanuts during it.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
There’s a reason why people keep saying Leafs fans offer crap for gold. The amount of times I’ve seen the usual Kerfoot/Bracco and a 3rd for quality or similar is insane. Moving Mayfield this year for a prospect who’s best attribute is his work ethic is just adding to the stockpile of AHL players they currently have. Now if Robertsons current development is a consistent 30+ goal scorer who can shoot like Wahlstrom, then there’s room too talk. If he’s just another player who at most will be Beauvillier 2.0, then there’s no need for that. Similar to what was said above, if the Islanders move Mayfield the return is similar to what Columbus got for David Savard. They have honestly no reason to move him this year with him having an additional year left and making peanuts during it.
Robertson best attribute is his NHL shot. I wish people would stop acting like the know a prospect from other teams without watching more then a game or two. Its fine if you'd rather another deal from another team but please don't act like you know the prospect. I mean muzzin got 1st, durzi and grundstrom. Neither of which were or are close to Robertson.

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Robertson best attribute is his NHL shot. I wish people would stop acting like the know a prospect from other teams without watching more then a game or two. Its fine if you'd rather another deal from another team but please don't act like you know the prospect. I mean muzzin got 1st, durzi and grundstrom. Neither of which were or are close to Robertson.
Then the same thing needs to be said about Leafs fans who are convinced that everything in the organization is a potential 1st liner that they’re trading away. Is Robertson a good player who could turn into a quality NHL player? Yes. Is he coming off a major injury? Yes as well. Is he undersized and teams seem to shy away from that? Yes once again. Im not knocking him as a player but I’d personally ask for someone who’s not being sold extremely low in return for the player being asked about based on the fact it’s almost a desperate move from Toronto, while other teams will be looking for something similar.
As for the NHL club. Your 3 current roster pieces that keep being involved in trades all have too much term left for anyone to be interested and at most they’re bottom of the lineup players.

Hockey 4 Life

Feb 10, 2012
Then the same thing needs to be said about Leafs fans who are convinced that everything in the organization is a potential 1st liner that they’re trading away. Is Robertson a good player who could turn into a quality NHL player? Yes. Is he coming off a major injury? Yes as well. Is he undersized and teams seem to shy away from that? Yes once again. Im not knocking him as a player but I’d personally ask for someone who’s not being sold extremely low in return for the player being asked about based on the fact it’s almost a desperate move from Toronto, while other teams will be looking for something similar.
As for the NHL club. Your 3 current roster pieces that keep being involved in trades all have too much term left for anyone to be interested and at most they’re bottom of the lineup players.
Your entitled to your opinions. If Robertson wasn't injured this season there is no way he's offered in a deal for Mayfield. Hes a very similar prospect to Debrincat when he was drafted by Chicago. Injuries have slowed his development a bit but he's already back and playing very well in the Ahl. He also put up good numbers in the Ahl even though he shouldn't have been allowed to play, but covid shut the junior leagues down. Hes a b+ prospect who could be an A. Not many of those are included in deals like these.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad