Speculation: TOR may have to acquire another goalie

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
I said yesterday I’m the GDT after s bad goal Hutch let in tar this fam base would tar and feather Sparks if he had let that shot in. Some posters said that it was a bad goal and pointed out that Hutch was taking flak, which is true, but it wasn’t exactly what I meant.

Steve Dangle put it better than I did in his post game video, basically saying that Leafs Nation has been very welcoming to Hutchison and willing to give him a chance, but that that same extension of goodwill was not there for Sparks, simply because he wasn’t McElhinney. Before he even played a game people had turned on the guy.

Well Dangle is a dummy, when Sparks played his first game, everyone was wide eye welcoming him , now that we have 15 games over a couple of seasons or so with the same flip flip goalie, we have grown tired, we've seen one game of Hutch, ... so 15 games of crap vs one great 1st period, one meh 2nd and one 4 shot 3rd... and we are questioning why Hutch is getting some time for judgement from Leaf fans?

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
We wouldn't be here if better goalie decisions were made at the start of the season. Babs was not very happy with the decision process back then, and by stating his desire/need for more goalie backups now he seems to be reinforcing that.

RKPLAYER TEAMGPWLOTLGAAGASASVSVPCTSO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5Curtis McElhinney, G CAR148512.2231407376.9240
8Frederik Andersen, G TOR3020912.5074965891.9231
[TBODY] [/TBODY]

Last edited:
Reactions: Bluelines

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
It is classic Hutch. First period looked great. When it counts somehow the long range house league shot on the ice with no screen beats him between the legs. Game over. We lose a point.

Lot's of blame to go around on that bad goal, the forward and d-man lost coverage and Hutch lets in a weak 5 holer

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Lot's of blame to go around on that bad goal, the forward and d-man lost coverage and Hutch lets in a weak 5 holer
That's exactly what Jets fans said for years. But the repetitions of same story game in game out and finally well you know how that sad story went ...

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
Hutch was fine it was our D giving it up creating point blank chances..good rebound control and positioning otherwise

He played well considering he just got here and he doesn't know the system, players and the team played bad.

Mr Hockey

Toronto
May 11, 2017
We can hope brother, we can hope.

tenor.gif

Reactions: biotk

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
B2B is not as big as everyone makes it out to be, McBackup had a .934 sv% with a 2.14 GAA. If B2B are so tough why were his stats better than Andy's?

He played bugger all and was on an ussustanable pace, with a sample that small your bound to get some "interesting" results, that's why I'm looking at Sparks win loss record rather than sv%, one good or bad game and that's going to fluctuate wildly

All that matters is if the team plays well will they win with Sparks in net? The evidence to this point says yes

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
He played bugger all and was on an ussustanable pace, with a sample that small your bound to get some "interesting" results, that's why I'm looking at Sparks win loss record rather than sv%, one good or bad game and that's going to fluctuate wildly

All that matters is if the team plays well will they win with Sparks in net? The evidence to this point says yes

LOL so Sparks has bad stats but his stats are bad because he plays B2B (10 games), McBackup plays B2B but his stats are good but they have to be an anomaly because he played so few games (18 games) so we can disregard them? Did I sum that up correctly?

jrgtml67

Sep 12, 2011
Looked terrible to me.

Blinded by a loss. None were his fault...may have an argument for the loss puck he tried to smother except we had 3 guys there who couldn't get rid of it and pretty well passed it to the Minny player.

Same with Andersen we lose apparently he sucks..we win hes a God. And his mates keep saying hes the MvP this far...that is a scary thought now with him out,

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
Blinded by a loss. None were his fault...may have an argument for the loss puck he tried to smother except we had 3 guys there who couldn't get rid of it and pretty well passed it to the Minny player.

Same with Andersen we lose apparently he sucks..we win hes a God. And his mates keep saying hes the MvP this far...that is a scary thought now with him out,
He was terrible because of his play not because of the result.

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
Not sure how they mishandled the goaltending. Leafs were looking long term and had to see if Sparks was NHL good.
Sparks record certainly isn't worse than last year's Mcilerney. Name the games....and think there were three the Sparks lost, that you think the Mcilerney would have won. Believe the Leafs were shut out in one, scored one goal in another and lost in a shootout, besides his six wins.
Give your head a shake bud , McBackup was a couple of games shy of being Vezina eligible and battling with the top 2 goalies for that honor when Freddie came back and played barely above 50/50 down the stretch last year , we were a better team last spring with McBackup in net than we were with Freddie down the stretch , check the numbers before you spout nonsense . By all hockey logic you ride the hot horse until it falters and we should have rode McBackup but he doesn't date Babcock on the road so in comes the cold goalie and we are history first round .

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
We wouldn't be here if better goalie decisions were made at the start of the season. Babs was not very happy with the decision process back then, and by stating his desire/need for more goalie backups now he seems to be reinforcing that.

RKPLAYER TEAMGPWLOTLGAAGASASVSVPCTSO
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
5Curtis McElhinney, G CAR148512.2231407376.9240
8Frederik Andersen, G TOR3020912.5074965891.9231
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
How many times do you have to be told ? Don't confuse the fanboys with facts and reality !
PS of course it was Babcock who wouldn't ride the hot horse till he faltered last year bringing his dinner date back in cold instead .

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
We would be in a worse position if poor goalie decisions were made at the start.
Sparks
HDSV%: .867
Mac
HDSV%: .831

Reactions: Kurtz

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
LOL so Sparks has bad stats but his stats are bad because he plays B2B (10 games), McBackup plays B2B but his stats are good but they have to be an anomaly because he played so few games (18 games) so we can disregard them? Did I sum that up correctly?

No I'm saying these guys play so little that the stats are very random and you get statistical outliers like McBackup last season with a 930+ sv%

B2B games are tough on the guy playing with a tired team in front of him, that's a fact, Mac was great last season, looking at his career it's a statistical outlier however, especially at his age

Sparks is above average for backup goalies, he's not great by any stretch but if he's playing the 2nd game of b2b and is above average as a backup as a rookie with a very good win%, he's doing his job

lifelonghockeyfan

Dec 18, 2015
Lake Huron
Give your head a shake bud , McBackup was a couple of games shy of being Vezina eligible and battling with the top 2 goalies for that honor when Freddie came back and played barely above 50/50 down the stretch last year , we were a better team last spring with McBackup in net than we were with Freddie down the stretch , check the numbers before you spout nonsense .By all hockey logic you ride the hot horse until it falters and we should have rode By all hockey logic you ride the hot horse until it falters and we should have rode McBackup but he doesn't date Babcock on the road so in comes the cold goalie and we are history first round . so in comes the cold goalie and we are history first round .

Give my head a shake? Just read what I wrote if possible I don't deny how good McBackup was last year. I just said the Leafs made the decision to see if Sparks was a long term answer. Which is exactly what the Leafs did. So, why criticize me for just stating facts. Now if you don't like the decision fine. If the Leaf make wrong decision fine.
If you thought McBackup should have been the starting goalie more often last season, fine, but that has never to do with the Leafs decision to keep Sparks this year.
But the reality is, so far, Sparks has not cost the Leaf any more points than if McBackup had still being a Leaf. (if somehow you could replay the season)
So you reason that the Leafs lost in game 7 "McBackup but he doesn't date Babcock on the road so in comes the cold goalie and we are history first round ." OK, save that logic for your pals at recess.

The CyNick

Freedom of Speech!
Sep 17, 2009
Sometimes players are better suited for certain roles. Mac and Freddy thrived in their respective roles last year. Our young GM upset the apple cart and went against our HOF coach. Now Mac is putting up huge numbers with the Hurricanes and Sparks is likely going to be pushed out of a job by a castaway.

Anyone I know who attended a lot of Marlies games in person said Sparks didn't have the fundamentals to be a good NHL goalie. When the decision on Mac was made most of those people said we better hope Freddy never gets gets hurt. Apparently our young GM didn't have that level of knowledge when it comes to goalie evaluation.

Hopefully it's eye opening how much damage this guy is doing. I've never seen a situation where a GM comes in and is gifted such a great team and yet the few decisions he's had to make have cost us points and may kill our position in the standings. Botched the Nylander negotiations and picked the wrong horse when it comes to goalies. Reminds me of another young GM who made a bad goalie decision. Scary to think this guy is heading up all of our talent decisions. Hopefully Shanny steps in and brings in a vet ex GM to hold his hand.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Sometimes players are better suited for certain roles. Mac and Freddy thrived in their respective roles last year. Our young GM upset the apple cart and went against our HOF coach. Now Mac is putting up huge numbers with the Hurricanes and Sparks is likely going to be pushed out of a job by a castaway.

Anyone I know who attended a lot of Marlies games in person said Sparks didn't have the fundamentals to be a good NHL goalie. When the decision on Mac was made most of those people said we better hope Freddy never gets gets hurt. Apparently our young GM didn't have that level of knowledge when it comes to goalie evaluation.

Hopefully it's eye opening how much damage this guy is doing. I've never seen a situation where a GM comes in and is gifted such a great team and yet the few decisions he's had to make have cost us points and may kill our position in the standings. Botched the Nylander negotiations and picked the wrong horse when it comes to goalies. Reminds me of another young GM who made a bad goalie decision. Scary to think this guy is heading up all of our talent decisions. Hopefully Shanny steps in and brings in a vet ex GM to hold his hand.
This is a little extreme don't you think? I don't know Dubas at all but he seems like a positive guy who has won at OHL and AHL levels and has a 2nd place NHL team currently.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad