Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] Maple Leafs re-sign Justin Holl (3 years, $2M AAV)

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
They had enough money to resign Barrie.

Resigning Barrie likely isn't plan A. If that becomes the highest priority plan they can still resign Barrie.

Holl was a necessary lower cheaper option regardless of who they decide is the right choice for higher up.

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
Your posts are getting more and more mindboggling.

If he is doing the job of a top 4. Which he has been doing all year long, Then that's his position. [MOD]
There have been countless players that have played Above there true position and came back down to earth. Just because Toronto’s D is weak and plays above bottom pairing doesn’t make him a top 4 D.

Last edited by a moderator:

shortfuze

Apr 23, 2007
toronto
It's not his fault Babcock never gave him a chance. He never gave many players a chance who have gone on to be solid NHLers for other teams. Hell Leivo is on pace for a 40 point season and was a healthy scratch for us just last year.
And that’s fine. I never said he couldn’t get better. I never said he couldn’t be a 2nd pairing defenceman. But at this point he’s a bottom pairing defenceman that has gotten a good opportunity for more minutes. It’s a decent to good signing. But it’s not a steal.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
Can't imagine how good this feels for him.

Last year he probably didn't even know if he was going to be in the NHL ever again, benched 70+ games, now you're financially set for life.

Good on him.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Has.
“That’s. A holl of a deal!” Been done yet?

If not. I claim this dad joke as my own at 114 pm

Srsly

Feb 8, 2011
Upland
He’s 27 and has yet to stick for a full season so I’m not 100% confident in the AAV despite his recent play.

That said, I really hope I’m wrong to be that reluctant. He’s looked great this season and I thought he was going to be a staple on our blue line a long time ago and had only recently lost hope.If he does manage to keep it together or improve, the contract could be be up being a steal.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Think thisll be a steal for the Leafs. Good player

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
Got his opportunity and ran with it. Very good deal for Toronto and now Holl and his family are set for life.

oooooooooohCanada

Jan 14, 2017
You feel good with
Reilley
Dermott
Sandin
Holl
Lilegren
Then what ? Can they afford a Barrie ?

We have a lot of cap space this offseason. We can afford one of Muzzin/Barrie/someone in FA/trade. And we can free up more space if we move on from some of our non-core forwards like Johnsson, Kapanen, Kerfoot, etc.

Mick Riddleton

“A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.”
Apr 24, 2017
Niagara
Leafs have to sign players with a lower cap because of all the money thrown around in summer. This sounds like a decent deal.

CupInSIX

My cap runneth over
Jul 1, 2012
Alphaville
2m for a #7d? That's Holden money.

Why not offer 1mx2? Or just balk if he wants to walk at getting a 2 year offer.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
2m for a #7d? That's Holden money.

Why not offer 1mx2? Or just balk if he wants to walk at getting a 2 year offer.
Under Keefe hes been playing 2nd pairing mins even his total for the year is 16:27(babs playing him on the bottom pair)

Hes not even a 7d hes played almost all his games this year....

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018
Rare deal that is both very good for the player and team. Great raise for a guy that has 51 NHL games under his belt and spent 90% of last season in the press box. Great deal for a player that has done nothing but beat expectations for the last few years. Zero doubt in my mind that he'll continue that trend for the next three years.

Reactions: The Man with a Plan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad