Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] G Ilya Samsonov re-signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $3.55M)

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
You choose your players and then you surround them with complimentary players.
It's been quite a while since I've seen that mistake.

It's complementary...

Like nails on a chalkboard.

The team has done their job by locking the players up
They might have gone wrong in locking up the wrong "star" players...

• Wow
Reactions: Recipe Unlimited

Strangle

May 4, 2009
It's been quite a while since I've seen that mistake.

It's complementary...

Like nails on a chalkboard.

They might have gone wrong in locking up the wrong "star" players...

I hate that stuff too, man. Apologies.

Unfortunately, you don’t get to necessarily cherry pick the stars on your team. You get the best you can at the top end and you lock them up.

GM’s can’t just choose from all the players in the league/minors/junior. Building a team doesn’t work that way.

Should they have drafted players other than Marner, Nylander and matthews? Maybe. But this is what they have and those are the players they needed to lock up.

We can play fantasy if you want, but that’s not realistic. The Lwafs weren’t going out there saying “we don’t want to sign Marner, we’ll just sign Mcdavid and pasta instead”

That’s not how it works.

And if you don’t lock up what you have, then you don’t have them anymore and are a worse team.

Reactions: Michel Beauchamp

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I hate that stuff too, man. Apologies.

Unfortunately, you don’t get to necessarily cherry pick the stars on your team. You get the best you can at the top end and you lock them up.

GM’s can’t just choose from all the players in the league/minors/junior. Building a team doesn’t work that way.

Should they have drafted players other than Marner, Nylander and matthews? Maybe. But this is what they have and those are the players they needed to lock up.

We can play fantasy if you want, but that’s not realistic. The Lwafs weren’t going out there saying “we don’t want to sign Marner, we’ll just sign Mcdavid and pasta instead”

That’s not how it works.

And if you don’t lock up what you have, then you don’t have them anymore and are a worse team.
What are you talking about? Florida just did this when they shipped out Weegar and Huberdeau after a 122 point season and made the finals the next year. You absolutely pick the stars on your team.

Michel Beauchamp

Canadiens' fan since 1958
Mar 17, 2008
Laval, Qc
Of course they were right in drafting them.

They were also right in locking them up.

But after a few years of frustating results, they might wonder if they are playoffs players (except for Nylander, notwithstanding his soft style of play), and look at the possibility of obtaining great value for them.

And let's sweep playoffs Tavares under the rug.

• Haha
Reactions: The90

IPS

Sep 28, 2017
Are you able to put a player on the LTIR in the off-season?

That doesn't make any sense.
Somehow I think Mr. main board troll here is going to start walking back on a lot of his comments

Holy cow you got some egg on your face :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

LeafChief

Matthew Knies Enthusiast
Mar 5, 2013
Scarborough
I absolutely understand why Toronto would want this, but it's kind of silly to be citing players like Hossa, Weber, Price and Smith. These were all players with career ending injuries in their mid-to-late 30's.

Matt Murray is 29 years old and unless his concussion issues are substantially worse than anyone has been led to believe, I think it's kind of silly to suggest he's going to willing end his career.
Ya?

Off-season LTIR requires a doctor to confirm that not only is the player currently injured but that they have no chance of being healthy for the start of the season or for the first ten games of the season.

Why would anyone think that was the case with Matt Murray?
What was that?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Of course they were right in drafting them.

They were also right in locking them up.

But after a few years of frustating results, they might wonder if they are playoffs players (except for Nylander, notwithstanding his soft style of play), and look at the possibility of obtaining great value for them.

And let's sweep playoffs Tavares under the rug.

And they should be thinking that. Personally, I thought changes to the core should have been made after the Montreal series

But you can’t say they ‘signed the wrong star players’, as that implies they could have signed different star players, but the team didn’t have the rights to other star players.

And there is no reliable way for us to judge what moves were ever possible in trades, so you either have to assume that this is the best Star players that the team had access to, or that they could have received better players in a trade. That’s a rabbit hole that’s impossible to decide either way, because neither of us has enough information

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
This is madness. This is their 3rd contracts with the team. You are in no way "stuck" with them like you are implying. They still have value and can be traded for other "star" players that you feel might be better fit. Other teams can do it.

• Haha
Reactions: The90

The90

Feb 27, 2017
This is madness. This is their 3rd contracts with the team. You are in no way "stuck" with them like you are implying. They still have value and can be traded for other "star" players that you feel might be better fit. Other teams can do it.
It’s awesome how infatuated you guys are as non leaf fans. Just so Frustrated lol

Reactions: Namikaze Minato

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
Somehow I think Mr. main board troll here is going to start walking back on a lot of his comments

Holy cow you got some egg on your face :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

What are you talking about? What should I be walking back? I said the Leafs couldn't simply decide to put Murray on LTIR. And they can't, no team can. It has to be a real medical situation. Fans that think Hossa, etc just "magically" got hurt are totally clueless.

I also clearly said that for the Leafs to put Murray on LTIR, he must have more serious concussion concerns than had previously been reported. That looks to be the case. Again, what should I be walking back? Everything I said was accurate ... so what are you talking about?

Strangle

May 4, 2009
What are you talking about? What should I be walking back? I said the Leafs couldn't simply decide to put Murray on LTIR. And they can't, no team can. It has to be a real medical situation. Fans that think Hossa, etc just "magically" got hurt are totally clueless.

I also clearly said that for the Leafs to put Murray on LTIR, he must have more serious concussion concerns than had previously been reported. That looks to be the case. Again, what should I be walking back? Everything I said was accurate ... so what are you talking about?

You seriously don’t believe that team use LTIR as a cap management tool?

Do you believe everything an ‘authority’ tells you, blindly?

Where do you think the term ‘Robidas Island’ came from?

Last edited:

FerrisRox

"Wanna go, Prettyboy?"
Sep 17, 2003
Toronto, Ontario
You seriously don’t believe that team use LTIR as a cap management tool?

Do you believe everything an ‘authority’ tells you, blindly?

Where do you think the term ‘Robidas Island’ came from?

I believe it comes from uneducated fans making baseless comments.

As I have explained several times, in order for a player who is not injured to be placed on LTIR by their team it would require three separate doctors to all commit fraud, and one of the medical professionals would have to commit fraud against the insurance company that pays the contract and that doctor would have been hired by the insurance company that they are defrauding.

I think you would have to be incredibly simple minded to think that three separate doctors are all going to commit fraud, risk losing their medical licence and risk the possibility of imprisonment so that an NHL team can get under the salary cap.

It's almost too dumb to believe, and yet it persists on HFBoards.

Last edited:
Reactions: Shane Diesel

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Didn't realize they could do that

You can if you apply for it and get it approved. Has to be grounds or good reason and Muzzin not finishing the season is valid. He's clearly broken. Murray on the other hand seems skeptical, they basically said he would miss the entire season and this news comes after he was reported to be ready to play in the last playoffs. He's got a long list of injuries as well but he is not as old as Muzzin and you would imagine he would be trying to get back on the ice this season right?

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It doesn’t matter what the team is constructed like, everyone in the league will find something to talk about with them.

They are the center of the hockey universe, just as God intended

They were ignored a lot before Shannahan came and did a proper rebuild. I don't think you get the point.

giphy.gif

Strangle

May 4, 2009
They were ignored a lot before Shannahan came and did a proper rebuild. I don't think you get the point.

giphy.gif

No they weren’t. The leafs have never ‘been ignored’.

Before Shanahan the topics were just about phaneuf, Kessel, raycroft, toskala, bozak, Schenn the savior and Brian burke

Go back and look

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
You can if you apply for it and get it approved. Has to be grounds or good reason and Muzzin not finishing the season is valid. He's clearly broken. Murray on the other hand seems skeptical, they basically said he would miss the entire season and this news comes after he was reported to be ready to play in the last playoffs. He's got a long list of injuries as well but he is not as old as Muzzin and you would imagine he would be trying to get back on the ice this season right?
2 cups, tens of millions in the bank and multiple concussions, might be smartest to take an early sunset. Weber played every single game in the cup run and was never seen again, guys will be ready to go in the playoffs with injuries that would normally shelf them

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad