Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
There’s a rumour that Bettman is upset with the leafs about the Tanev deal and will make an example of us if we put him on LTIR early. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true. Doubt he’d do anything if Tampa or Vegas signed the Tanev contract though.

Don’t want anything bad to happen to Tanev obviously but that guy plays like an animal. If he missed any time due to a high profile on ice injury it would be a really awkward look for Gary to punish his club team.

Reactions: leafsfan2point0

colchar

Apr 26, 2012
There’s a rumour that Bettman is upset with the leafs about the Tanev deal and will make an example of us if we put him on LTIR early. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true. Doubt he’d do anything if Tampa or Vegas signed the Tanev contract though.

What is the source for this rumour, and why would you believe it?

Reactions: ACC1224

Shooter2x

Nov 3, 2021
Bettman has nothing.

We deployed 40 year old bums like Gio, Thornton and Spezza. We have precedent set that we don't restrict this age group from playing.

Even if our plan (which it most likely is) is to bounce early, there's not enough evidence to pin us. Like I said, we deployed old farts many times.

Reactions: Kurtz

MilkofthePoppy

Oct 27, 2022

Chris Tanev’s Iffy Contract Sparks Debate About NHL LTIR Rules

July 30, 2024

by Jim Parsons

The Toronto Maple Leafs’ recent deal involving Chris Tanev has stirred up questions about the NHL’s Long-Term Injured Reserve (LTIR) rules. In a recent mailbag post, The Athletic’s Eric Duhatschek was asked if the NHL might ever revisit the use of LTIR, especially for older players who are signed to contracts that virtually guarantee they won’t play them out. When it comes to Toronto, many believe Tanev will end his career on LTIR, effectively allowing the Leafs to circumvent the salary cap. Should this be allowed?

While the debate around LTIR rules is valid, using the Tanev deal as a trigger for change overlooks a long history of teams exploiting this loophole.

What are the Maple Leafs Guilty Of?

Technically, the Maple Leafs aren’t guilty of anything. There is no hard and fast rule about doing what Toronto did, which was to sign an older player to a contract they might not see all the way through.

Duhatschek writes that teams who knowingly sign players well past their best-before date do so because that’s sometimes the cost of doing business.
For the Maple Leafs, Tanev was an in-demand UFA and they wanted the player. They made a six-year pitch to him at the age of 34 years old, knowing that with the way he plays and his injury history, he is unlikely to make it as an NHLer to the age of 40.

If they were thinking along those lines when the deal was signed, the organization was comfortable with the trade-off.

The Athletic LOL.

I have to agree with some people here that breaking the bank on a 35 year old defensive defenseman that has a ton of mileage on him has to be one of the stupidest decisions this franchise has ever made. Tanev will be a buyout candidate as early as next summer, you heard it from me first.

I also have to question Tanev's commitment to wanting to be a Leaf if it took this much money and term to bring him "home".

Signings like these are the reason why this franchise was in the dump for so long.

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
The Athletic LOL.

I have to agree with some people here that breaking the bank on a 35 year old defensive defenseman that has a ton of mileage on him has to be one of the stupidest decisions this franchise has ever made. Tanev will be a buyout candidate as early as next summer, you heard it from me first.

I also have to question Tanev's commitment to wanting to be a Leaf if it took this much money and term to bring him "home".

Signings like these are the reason why this franchise was in the dump for so long.
This is such a defeatist take.

What makes Treliving anything like Dubas, Burke, Lou, late Cliff Fletcher, or JFJ?

What makes you think Toronto competed with themselves and not another NHL team to sign Tanev?

Tanev will likely be a fan favorite and will not fall apart in 1 season.

Last edited:

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
You’re downplaying his vampire heritage, I think we’re stuck with him for at least 200 years!

There are many hundreds of thousands millions of wood workers in Canada.

1722649023253.png

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019

What makes Treliving anything like Dubas, Burke, Lou, late Cliff Fletcher, or JFJ?

What makes you think Toronto competed with themselves and not another NHL team to sign Tanev?

This is not a guy who relies on skating or foot speed. He will remain a high-level player for at least a couple of years.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
They couldn't snag anyone younger they had to do it
I was reminded on a podcast this week that Tanev has played in poor markets( Vancouver and Calgary) his entire career so he may be one of those guys not interested in winning.

Those GMs you mentioned are bad, but Treliving is in class by himself. He might be slightly better than JFJ.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I was reminded on a podcast this week that Tanev has played in poor markets( Vancouver and Calgary) his entire career so he may be one of those guys not interested in winning.

Those GMs you mentioned are bad, but Treliving is in class by himself. He might be slightly better than JFJ.

I'm glad you cut him some slack and gave him a whole year.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
Have you seen the trail he’s left in Calgary and AZ.
I don't totally see the bad in what he did in those organizations. Especially CGY. CGY fans loved his Tkachuk trade and getting Kadri. Up until the point where it didn't work out. Truthfully when 2 star players want out of a team, no GM does well. Gaudrau doesn't re-sign, Tkachuk moves to FLA and you expect CGY to be good?

Reactions: ACC1224

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I don't totally see the bad in what he did in those organizations. Especially CGY. CGY fans loved his Tkachuk trade and getting Kadri. Up until the point where it didn't work out. Truthfully when 2 star players want out of a team, no GM does well. Gaudrau doesn't re-sign, Tkachuk moves to FLA and you expect CGY to be good?
No, I didn’t expect them to be good with Treliving managing the team.

ToDavid

Dec 13, 2018

He’s played past the first round for all three of the teams he’s played for in his career. He’s played in the conference finals for two.

How many players can say the same?

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
He’s played past the first round for all three of the teams he’s played for in his career. He’s played in the conference finals for two.

How many players can say the same?
Stuck in those western Canadian markets you don’t see or hear too much about them. The cold bubbles don’t really count.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $731.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,052.00