Confirmed with Link: [TOR/DAL] Leafs acquire rights to Chris Tanev for Max Ellis, 2026 7th rd selection

LeafEgo

Oct 8, 2021
What I want to know is why we had to offer Tanev $27m to play here. The guy is a good player, but if we're going to get ~3 years out of him, we had to pay him 9m per? The circumvention is besides the point, we had to give him $27m???
Pretty much. I suspect the Leafs had to beat out a 6Mx4 price point. The extra 3M saw him choosing Toronto and allowed for the AAV to get down to 4.5M.

It's expensive and there is risk, but still one of the better UFA's signed over the summer. Building through free agency is tough.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
What I want to know is why we had to offer Tanev $27m to play here. The guy is a good player, but if we're going to get ~3 years out of him, we had to pay him 9m per? The circumvention is besides the point, we had to give him $27m???

The single biggest argument against the whole, "This team only cares about money" argument is stuff like this where they splash cash like drunken sailors. By all means, I think he's a good player and will be a good fit, but that is an absurd amount of money for what he offers and how long he'll offer it for.

Teams are already kneecapped when a team like SJ is stuck with Vlasic for half a generation. Calgary is going to suffer badly from the Huberdeau contract, doubly so when Kadri declines. The combination of the salary cap and guaranteed contracts is fun for fantasy GM's and terrible for casual fans.

Exactly. The other thing is the NHLPA needs to step in and make sure Bettman and co. aren’t overstepping.

For example, let’s say for neat and tidy math that every team has on average a $2.5 million LTIR issue whereby a Jake Muzzin type veteran rendered unable to play. That’s $80 million in dead money that can’t be reallocated to the replacement players who are playing the game across the whole league. That’s almost an entire NHL team.

As I always maintain, the Bettman regime needs to spend more of its few brain cells on growing the pie instead of policing the crumbs.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
Exactly. The other thing is the NHLPA needs to step in and make sure Bettman and co. aren’t overstepping.

For example, let’s say for neat and tidy math that every team has on average a $2.5 million LTIR issue whereby a Jake Muzzin type veteran rendered unable to play. That’s $80 million in dead money that can’t be reallocated to the replacement players who are playing the game across the whole league. That’s almost an entire NHL team.

As I always maintain, the Bettman regime needs to spend more of its few brain cells on growing the pie instead of policing the crumbs.
Once the Bettman regime got a taste of what's in the expansion cookie jar, they lost sight of any other form of growth. All the owners love free money! Never mind that franchise valuations going into the stratosphere on the back of free money is a classic Ponzi Scheme, or that fan interest in Canadian markets is dying, expand the league to 34!

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
Once the Bettman regime got a taste of what's in the expansion cookie jar, they lost sight of any other form of growth. All the owners love free money! Never mind that franchise valuations going into the stratosphere on the back of free money is a classic Ponzi Scheme, or that fan interest in Canadian markets is dying, expand the league to 34!

Wait till the league really gets cooking as a 64 team league and a 12 month bracket format. No off seasons, hard cap. 25/75 HRR split. You thought you wanted sports but what you really want is Ponzi Schemes and collective bargaining in real time!

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
I'm sure Bettman cant wait to slap the leafs with a cap recapture penalty if Tanev retires early.

Ianturnedbull

Jun 11, 2022
I love how certain bloggers call this a questionable contract. It's as though they act like it's common knowledge as to the real years Tanev will play.

Who's against this contract? Fans of teams who have cost of living and tax advantages? Fans of teams who have tiny fan support in areas of the US where NSCAR is popular?

Last edited:
Reactions: hockeywiz542

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
We did that we had to do to get the player we wanted at a price that works for our cap. Whatever happens in 4 years happens. In the interim we should have one of the better defenders in the league which helps us immensely in this 4 year window.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I love how certain bloggers call this a questionable contract. It's as though they act like it's common knowledge as to the real years Tanev will play.

Who's against this contract? Fans of teams who have cost of living and tax advances? Fans of teams who have tiny fan support in areas of the US where NSCAR is popular?
NASCAR is popular in all states and more popular than hockey in most states.

I think it’s a bad contract if the Leafs want to open a window to win in a couple of year and it feels like it’ll be in the way. If they never open that window then the contract is fine and they’ll ice a team every year.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
This is it! The fact.

Now let's do expansion in Alabama!
NASCAR is well below SEC Footbawwl and as a Huntsville Havoc season ticket subscriber I don’t think it’s a good idea to try it here. Nashville is close enough.

I will say getting lost in the holler on an SEC Saturday night in Tuscaloosa is a bucket list for most sports fans.

banks

Only got 3 of 16.
Aug 29, 2019
They won't retroactively change the rules.

An option is likely, grandfathering in the clauses on existing contracts.
Medical evidence is medical evidence.
Medical evidence won't be impacted by non-medical bureaurocrats.

Or perhaps they'll strip VGK their Cup? :biglaugh:

As pointed out by other posters, to retroactively punish the Leafs for bending the rules that plenty of other clubs have, would be ridiculous. Sure, he can change the rules during the next CBA, but that won't likely effect current contracts. It will just effect future contracts from the date of the approved CBA.

Did you guys forget that the CBA changes in the past absolutely did affect the existing contracts retroactively?

When they stopped allowing teams to bury contracts in the AHL, that was across the board, not just the new contracts.

And when they closed the backsliding contract loophole, where contracts added tiny years at the end to reduce the AAV but then retired, the league hit teams with a cap recapture penalty.

I don't think there will be a change made for this Tanev type of thing. But make no mistake, if a change does happen it very well could affect teams retroactively.

mclaren55

Apr 12, 2010
Did you guys forget that the CBA changes in the past absolutely did affect the existing contracts retroactively?

When they stopped allowing teams to bury contracts in the AHL, that was across the board, not just the new contracts.

And when they closed the backsliding contract loophole, where contracts added tiny years at the end to reduce the AAV but then retired, the league hit teams with a cap recapture penalty.

I don't think there will be a change made for this Tanev type of thing. But make no mistake, if a change does happen it very well could affect teams retroactively.
Fair enough and solid points.

Reactions: banks

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site

And they allowed buy-outs for some of those changes.

I'd like to see them get agreement with the players where they state only the league's doctors can treat or diagnose players. Talk about setting themselves up for malpractice lawsuits would be fun to watch.

Last edited:

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
And they allowed buy-outs for some of those changes.

I'd like to see them get agreement with the players where they state only the league's doctors can treat or diagnose players. Talk about setting themselves up for malpractice lawsuits would be fun to watch.

Aren’t all or most contracts insured? If so I would assume the insurance companies would be most invested in verifying.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Pretty much. I suspect the Leafs had to beat out a 6Mx4 price point. The extra 3M saw him choosing Toronto and allowed for the AAV to get down to 4.5M.

It's expensive and there is risk, but still one of the better UFA's signed over the summer. Building through free agency is tough.
its a good thing a robertson oettinger hesikanen draft is loading for the leafs huh ;)

I mean, he will be 36 and more beat up during the 2026 playoffs once the Leafs finally rid themselves of Marner and JT. This is a dumb signing. It’s been proven over 8 years with this core that they don’t have “it” no matter who is around them. We can very safely predict another 1st round exit. I don’t think any of these additions, or the new coach, make it more likely for us to go far with this team. So you’re already wasted Tanev’s 35 year old season, and he will just continue to decline after that.
maybe but man i for one cant wait to have a comeptent f***ing d man out there in crunch situations rather than mccabe and benoit.

Thats not a diss to them cus theyre solid but come on lol

• Haha
Reactions: ULF_55

leafsfan2point0

Jun 8, 2011
There’s a rumour that Bettman is upset with the leafs about the Tanev deal and will make an example of us if we put him on LTIR early. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true. Doubt he’d do anything if Tampa or Vegas signed the Tanev contract though.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
There’s a rumour that Bettman is upset with the leafs about the Tanev deal and will make an example of us if we put him on LTIR early. I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s true. Doubt he’d do anything if Tampa or Vegas signed the Tanev contract though.
How much of an example can he make?
Any NHL player in his mid to late 30s (and many who are younger) is playing through something that a doctor will say he shouldn’t. It’s the nature of this physical sport.
Bettman can make the Leafs and Tanev go through verification with independent doctors but if there is any kind of chronic injury present which there would be for most players there is nothing him or the league can do about it with the current rules.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
Wait till the league really gets cooking as a 64 team league and a 12 month bracket format. No off seasons, hard cap. 25/75 HRR split. You thought you wanted sports but what you really want is Ponzi Schemes and collective bargaining in real time!
Sounds like Baseketball revisit.

Stringer Bell

Dec 16, 2009
I think the odds are very very high that Tanev is going to have a legitimate debilitating injury that is going to force him into retirement before 6 years. There is nothing Bettman can do about that.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $1,050.00