Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Oliver Ekman-Larsson signs with the Maple Leafs (4 years, $3.5M AAV)

TheKrebsCycle

Throwing Confetti for Perfetti
Jun 1, 2011
Barrie
This is where I’m at too . His rep took a hit when he signed that huge deal and he couldn’t live up to it but still a good player at his current hit ( even if it’s a year ish too long )

toddkaz

Nov 25, 2022
Was he dumped before or after he won the cup? I forget.
There is a lot of players who won the cup looking for a job right now.

Is that a qualification to play for the leafs? I guess its better than the players playing the last 50 years for the leafs.

Legion34

Jan 24, 2006
Keeps his house in Florida. Make bulk of contract a signing bonus and boom. No state tax.

This isn’t really true. He would have to prove greater financial ties to Florida.

He might be able to to do it the first year. Hard after

JT just tried something similar and now the CRA is suing him for millions

Edit: Toronto had to over pay 1.25 million off his last Florida contract. He still got a raise, even with having to overpay to make up for Florida’s clear and indisputable tax advantage which was recently confirmed by quotes of

Brisebois. Grier and Adams

Last edited:

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Good defenceman once he got through those injured hips

I still find it funny how Benning pursued this cat TWICE.
So what when he massively overpaid in the trade that was way less than what he offered them a season before

Worth pointing out that the Panthers' defensive structure is great for these kind of rehab cases due to requiring less pivot -> recovery from the defenders. The defensemen are often attacking in while the forwards race back out to cover for them. OEL's hip could become more of an issue in Toronto.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Worth pointing out that the Panthers' defensive structure is great for these kind of rehab cases due to requiring less pivot -> recovery from the defenders. The defensemen are often attacking in while the forwards race back out to cover for them. OEL's hip could become more of an issue in Toronto.
Concur.

I liked OEL in Arizona, he was decent in 21-22, and I was sad to see it all go pear shaped in his last year in Vancouver.

That said, I really don't understand this signing by Toronto. It's like he's a lesser version of Rielly with a lot of the same weaknesses. Feisty but not a deterrent, not a great skater, and prone to being beaten wide on bad pivots. It just seems strange to me.

I can see where there might be teams where OEL would be a good fit as a number 4 (though i wouldn't want to be a fan a team making that bet) but Toronto's fit seems odd. If he plays with Liljegren they will be turnstiled.

Cancuks

Former Exalted Ruler
Jan 13, 2014
At the EI office
Buyout candidate by next season and will re-sign with Florida for league minimum. Rinse and repeat until he's making $20 million a season from contracts and buyouts.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad