Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Marshall Rifai signs extension with the Maple Leafs (2 years, $775k AAV; begins 2025-26)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
Why? Chances are he's an injury call up if that
Sounds like you answered your question

It's a player on contract that they developed the past two years and can call up if they have multiple injuries on D
For the 99% of the time he's not on roster, he can be a stabilizing presence in the minors for the next young kids coming up

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Cv77etFXYAEto4d.jpg

I just think of this guy when I see/hear the name

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Seems like it could also be waiver protection. Now if someone wants to claim him they think twice with the couple contract years tagged on.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
They shouldn't sign people to cover for injuries when they happen?

Sure I'd just rather that spot go to a player that can play a shift in the NHL, take a guy like William Lageasson for example who they had last year.

I know It's currently an AHL deal but there is a reason I like the Alex Nylander signing, It's because he's an NHL caliber player in the AHL, and assuming they sign him, and I do think that's the current plan, that's a guy you can call up, plug in and you know he can play a shift when there is an injury.

Steven Lorentz could be the same thing assuming he gets signed.

Marshall Rifai isn't that.

Insidefi

Sep 22, 2016
Alberta
Sure I'd just rather that spot go to a player that can play a shift in the NHL, take a guy like William Lageasson for example who they had last year.

I know It's currently an AHL deal but there is a reason I like the Alex Nylander signing, It's because he's an NHL caliber player in the AHL, and assuming they sign him, and I do think that's the current plan, that's a guy you can call up, plug in and you know he can play a shift when there is an injury.

Wait, what?

That is exactly what Rifai is. He played a couple of games last year when there were injuries. And I'm guessing they are hoping he can continue to develop

You are not going to use all 50 contracts on players that are full time NHL calibre players. Those guys will want to sign elsewhere, so they have a better chance at playing.

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

What are you talking about? Do you understand how depth charts work? They can't sign six Lagessons to play for the Marlies. They wouldn't sign. They want opportunity. We lost Lagesson on waivers in fact. Rifai was not signed to be our 7th D...we did sign Myers and Mermis and have Timmins. We may have Hakanpaa...Rifai is in a group with Kokkonen, Mattinen, Weber, and Niemela.

You are complaining about a guy that is somewhere from 10th to 15th on our org chart. He was pretty good last year too.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012

You may want to read up on waiver wire rules. You don't seem to understand them. (FYI, the Leafs lost Lagesson on waivers last year.)

Sypher04

Jan 20, 2011
I’ve always liked Rifai when I’ve seen him. Bottom pair/Depth D most likely if he ever makes the show full time, but nothing wrong with that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad