Confirmed Signing with Link: [TOR] D Jani Hakanpaa signs with the Maple Leafs (1 year, $1.47M)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

eojsmada

Oct 23, 2022
Solid LTIR piece at the deadline to make a trade work where they might want to ship off a low $ guy for a higher $ guy.

ponder

Jul 11, 2007
Vancouver
So I guess the Leafs confirmed that he's actually healthy enough to play? Or are they hoping and it's a Klingberg situation?
As a Leafs fan, we do have a long history of signing guys in their late 20s or older, who have a long history of health problems, and are very risky signings. Klingberg, Murray, Kase, Connolly, Lombardi, etc. Sometimes it sort of works out, often it's a complete failure, and I can't really think of any case, off the top of my head, where it's been a great move. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, though.

Obviously they think he's healthy enough to be an effective player this year, or they wouldn't have signed him. Whether or not they're right is very much TBD.

Last edited:
Reactions: bossram

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
Maybe their plan is to get old like 1967 team. At least was only one year deal. Looks like were million over with Pacio+Lorentz in tryouts without contract. Wonder who gets sent down or traded?

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005
I thought after 2 months, the leafs said they weren’t signing him because injury wasn’t improving, a week or 2 ago.

What changed,
It got better?

Reactions: Fatass

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I thought after 2 months, the leafs said they weren’t signing him because injury wasn’t improving, a week or 2 ago.

What changed,
It got better?
It's odd for sure because we're over million on salary cap also. I know they plan to use him as backup defenseman but you only wonder is when will get injured again.

Fatass

Apr 17, 2017
Clearly the Leafs can afford a 1.5 mil contract that is very likely not insured. Haakenpa goes to LTIR is no big deal.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
It's odd for sure because we're over million on salary cap also. I know they plan to use him as backup defenseman but you only wonder is when will get injured again.
Isnt the knee chronic? Maybe rotate him in for Benoit, Lily, rest him a lot and hope he can be ready for the playoffs

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

What changed,
It got better?
I don't think the Leafs ever said that, it might have been reported that they said it but the only quote I ever remember form the Leafs was a couple of weeks ago when asked, Tre said "we are still working that one through".

It was the first time I had heard him comment on Hakanpaa at all. He didn't say we weren't signing him so I I was pretty sure that we were.

As it played out Tre handled these last few moves really well. I believe he didn't want to sign Hakanpaa (or Pacioretty) until Robertson was done, he didn't want to leave himself exposed for an offer sheet.

He got Robertson done, then immediately Hakanpaa and now Patches on PTO. We are not over the cap until Pacioretty signs and if he does we may have an injury or just sacrifice Reaves and/or Timmins to waivers, I am not sure either is selected.

Zonk

Jul 2, 2012
This signing has mistake written all over it.

1726100731689.png

Attachments

• 1726100732409.png
    1726100732409.png
    389.8 KB · Views: 2
  • 1726100945102.png
    1726100945102.png
    389.8 KB · Views: 2

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
This signing has mistake written all over it.

View attachment 906472
The mistake is not signing him to a 1 year deal at ~1.5M

The mistake would be if he doesnt have a healthy start and improve this year under Berubes system and we keep him in lineup over moving on/acquiring a better suited piece

1 year depth D at 1.5M is common move. Hakipanna has had stretches of solid play previously and has size and grit which might ne preferred in a limited/bottom pairong role vs paying 3rds and 4ths for Edmunsons/Lybushkins who dont stay due to contract demands (term and AAV to high)

Overall will have to see how he does his first 10/15 games. If he struggles in those I hope we can waive him and move on. Only ~200K caphit if he clears waivers and isnt claimed (likely gets claimed as we find often with leaf players in recent history)

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
So I guess the Leafs confirmed that he's actually healthy enough to play? Or are they hoping and it's a Klingberg situation?

Nobody hopes for a Klingberg situation

As a Leafs fan, we do have a long history of signing guys in their late 20s or older, who have a long history of health problems, and are very risky signings. Klingberg, Murray, Kase, Connolly, Lombardi, etc. Sometimes it sort of works out, often it's a complete failure, and I can't really think of any case, off the top of my head, where it's been a great move. Maybe I'm forgetting someone, though.

Obviously they think he's healthy enough to be an effective player this year, or they wouldn't have signed him. Whether or not they're right is very much TBD.

Tyler Ennis

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I’ve always liked him more than maybe some others have. He just can’t make the decision to concentrate on the things he does well. Always trying to do too much. With this injury, we’ll have to see what his future holds, but it’s a sneaky signing. Not because we all didn’t know it was gonna happen, but because he can be a difference maker in a tight series, if they can get him to commit himself to play to his strengths.

The problem is, I’m not so sure the Leafs are gonna tighten things up enough under the new regime, for him to be effective. He is still in that stage Olli Maatta was in for 2-3 years. Where he hasn’t really committed to be the type of dman he can succeed being. Just zero in on the things you do well, and let his game fall into place.

He protects the puck well, he actually moves it pretty well too. His retrieval skills are about average. He has brain farts and has shown he will panic at times, if he’s not confident in how a play is developing. For example, a simple pass that’s in his feet, instead of just doing what comes natural and kicking the puck to his stick, he starts feeling the forecheck pressure too soon, and panics a little, because the pass isn’t right on his stick.

It’s stupid stuff that’s always gotten him in trouble. If they can get him to commit himself to playing a very specific defensive role, like Maatta has learned to play, he can extend his career. If he doesn’t, good bet he’s back to a healthy scratch in the playoffs.

This probably isn’t good news for Timmons. Another player who needs to commit himself to doing the things he does well, and becoming a solid 5 for the next 5-6 years, rather than trying to do too much. Unfortunately if he finally does this season, it’ll probably be somewhere else.

Reactions: Kurtz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad