Confirmed with Link: [TOR/ANA] - Staubitz+Holland for Blacker+3rd+7th

uncleben

Global Moderator
Dec 4, 2008
Acton, Ontario
So you pretty much hope Holland busts? Nice.
Not the person you're responding to, but I too hope it stays a 3rd pick - not because I hope he busts, but because I think he should round of the season in the AHL.

When Bozak, Bolland, and Kadri come back where does he play?
Hell, when Kadri comes back where does he play? Third line ahead of McClement? Fourth instead of Smith(son)??
He's a scoring centre and needs better is time. Keep him in a prominent role with the Marlies instead of sticking him bottom 3/6.
Let him learn the system, and meet a lot of the young guys he will hopefully be playing with in the Leafs future.

Bring him in as injury fill, but sending him back down and save the second pick.

Staubitz though I hate... :shakehead Augh.
Bury him in the minors and leave him.
I thought McLaren was redundant and useless when we got him and he pleasantly surprised me. I hope Staubitz can do the same.
He's been on waivers twice, and Nonis could have had him. This was definitely Anaheim trying to get rid of him and clear contracts. Wish we kept our 7th :laugh:

(And by the way, taking Staubitz puts us at 50 contracts. We have a couple of kids in junior I think can slide, but we are officially at 50.)

I was a big supporter of Blacker and will miss him, but there just wasn't much room for him here anymore. He wouldn't have gotten a real shot at the NHL with Toronto. I really hope he can impress in Anaheim and become a 6/7 guy in the league.

p.l.f.

use the force
Feb 27, 2002
Toronto, CANADA
from Anaheim forum:

"Holland has a big frame, a good shot, pretty good playmaking skills and is an above average skater."

He's an above average skater with size and skill ?? ........o.....my......god

leafstilldeath*

Bozo the clown relegated to 3rd line duties, where he should be?

:yo::yo::yo:

Next year when Bolland and McClement are resigned with us trade Bozo for a bag of pucks. Assuming there are stupid GMs willing to touch that ridiculous contract of a unskilled player with a 10 foot pole.

Igy

Mar 3, 2011
I think they should throw him in as a 1st line centre tonight and see how it goes. Can't be any worse than JVR at centre.

JVR-Holland-Kessel
Lupul-Smith-Clarkson
Raymond-McClement-Kulemin
Ashton-Smithson-Orr

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
I really like this deal. If Holland were to stick in the NHL (and the pick becomes a 2nd instead of a 3rd round pick), then its still a good deal. And who knows, Nonis could get back a 2nd round pick at the draft as some have suggested.

But we needed more depth at center, and he gives us that. Best case scenario is that Holland becomes a top six, and then Bozak becomes a bottom six player for us. Worst case scenario is that he is a bust and we lose a 3rd round pick. It seems like a reasonable gamble.

Daisy Jane

everything is gonna be okay!
Jul 2, 2009
I think Nonis did this move to buy his group some more time (sort of... that blu-tictac stuff you put on posters).

if this works - then we're good
if this is not - then we're going to see a bigger move.

Saul Goodman

Attorney at law
Dec 12, 2009
Toronto
The last center Nonis traded a 2nd for turned out to be pretty damn good for us. Maybe, just maybe, Nonis knows what he's doing here.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
Looked at Holland and wondered about him as a center option.

Fits Nonis' MO, interested in trading only youth for youth. This is sort of a minor JVR - Schenn trade. I like it because Bolland might be out for the year, hopefully not, but when Bozak-Kadri come back. It should give us a competitive team. Not as good without Bolland, but at least we won't have JVR at C, and games like Buffalo.

JMcLeaf

I like this move. I was a big fan of Blacker, but he just wasn't putting it together here. Hopefully Holland works out for us. If he doesn't it will suck to not have that 3rd, but I think it's a risk worth taking.

edit: Just saw the condition on the pick. Not sure how I feel about it now. I think it was fair with the pick being a 3rd. Not the best draft fortunately but it could still come back to bite us moving that 2nd for an unproven player. Hopefully it works out.

The Winter Soldier

Apr 4, 2011
I think Nonis did this move to buy his group some more time (sort of... that blu-tictac stuff you put on posters).

if this works - then we're good
if this is not - then we're going to see a bigger move.

Slight overpayment given our situation, but Nonis did what he had to do. Give Carlyle a C to fill out the lineup. The rest is up to Holland.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
It's a decent emergency move. Hopefully we can recover some middle picks when we ship out Liles or something.

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Fits Nonis' MO, interested in trading only youth for youth. This is sort of a minor JVR - Schenn trade. I like it because Bolland might be out for the year, when Bozak-Kadri come back. It should give us a competitive team. Not as good without Bolland, but at least we won't have JVR at C, and games like Buffalo.

I hope now though we start getting some picks back. I don't know how though.

TmlHockeyFan

Jul 19, 2012
Toronto
Good move IMO.

Hopefully he can pan out for a top six role and we can have this going as our centre future:

Kadri-Holland-Bolland-McClement

ALL centres from Ontario too. ;)

blue82

BELEAF (win or lose)
Dec 7, 2009
Leaf Nation
great trade considering the position the leafs were in, especially after last night and hearing carlyles frustration over the lack of center depth, nonis' hand was forced and he still made a great low risk high reward type trade... i am looking forward to tonight

Daisy Jane

Jul 2, 2009
Slight overpayment given our situation, but Nonis did what he had to do. Give Carlyle a C to fill out the lineup. The rest is up to Holland.

which is why i'm okay with it.
I also called this in last week's Loose-Leafs. Nonis had that look of "I need to do SOMETHING." (but we all knew that it wasn't going to be right away a huge deal).

and I think had we won outright last night & in Minnisota, this probably DOESN'T happen. but rather a slight overpayment and we start succeeding (slightly better, ie: converting more chances) than having to lower the boom.

Turk Broda

Jun 2, 2009
He still hasn't updated his twitter account yet @PeterHolland13.

Get on that Peter, you're a member of the Toronto Maple Leafs now!

pooleboy

Dec 23, 2009
Ontario
I think they should throw him in as a 1st line centre tonight and see how it goes. Can't be any worse than JVR at centre.

JVR-Holland-Kessel
Lupul-Smith-Clarkson
Raymond-McClement-Kulemin
Ashton-Smithson-Orr

i agree with this.

Mapleleafs Fan*

Wow a boom or bust. I seriously hope that he will be a diamond in rough. He won't be any worse than Biggs. So even if we lose those picks I wouldn't mind.

veedubn1

Jun 7, 2010
I like this trade for Toronto... trading from a position of strength to get something we need.

With that said... I'm not expecting Holland to come in and save us.. or even provide anything more than 3rd line production. He just needs to step onto the top line and allow JVR to go back to his natural position so that our offense gets out of it's funk.

Ad

Ad

Ad