Top UFA Targets for the Habs

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
If you go after Stastny, you would have to trade either Desharnais or Plekanec, cause Lars Eller is your 3rd line center again next season, unless you switching to LW and have Plekanec on the 3rd line as your center, then you would have 3 good centers

1st line: Stastny
2nd line: Desharnais
3rd line: Plekanec
4th line: whoever can fill it, I see Bournival having it.

If we did go for Stastny, I'd keep Plekanec and trade DD. Stastny would be the PP guy, and offensive player with Plekanec retaining hard match ups and more defensive duties. Plus, I believe Stastny showed some good chemistry with Pacioretty at the world cup in the past and they have done well together. I'd keep Eller as the 3rd line 2-way center. Perhaps give him some PP time too.

Devourers

Sep 20, 2013
Montreal
My choices would be these guys, bolded would be my main targets.

On the cheap and/or short term:
Iginla (I'd offer him 2yr if he would lower the cap hit per year)
Markov (I'd offer him 2yr max, let him walk for more)
Michalek (I'd offer 1-2yr max)
Weaver (I'd offer 2 year deal)
Ott (I'd try to get him on a 2yr if I could)

Mid/Long term
Callahan (I'd offer him 5x5m possibly. I don't think he'll be a Clarkson)
I could see him being the steal of the UFA market.
Vanek (I'd offer him a 7 year deal if he rejects let him walk)
Moulson (I'd offer him 3-4 years)
Vrbata (3-5 years for sure)
Niskanen (If we need a d he's a possibility)
Cammalleri (Offer him a 1 year deal to rebound)
Hemsky
Gaborik (I doubt he comes here, but I'd go after him 5+ year deal)

Guys I'd avoid like the plague: Stastny, I don't think he'd live up to expectations of his contract. Gionta, time to move on. Roy, Heatley, etc

SB164

Apr 29, 2010
Montreal, Quebec
Niskanen will probably find team willing to give him 6 years x5 M

Philly could use a guy like him. So could NJ. Niskanen is getting paaaaaid.

Hansek is Hansen I assume? I don't think Vancouver would do that deal. We'd have to replace White with an asset of usefulness.

Jannik Hansen as a first line winger :laugh:

Hey Marian Gaborik, come play in Montreal, you'll get a chance to play with the one and only Jannik Hansen.

Last edited:

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
<Gionta OUT?? (small 3rd liner)
OR
<Callahan IN? (but...might be too expensive?? not a playoffs player?).
OR
<Vrbata IN?
<Penner IN??

<<Vanek OUT (he's been in Minny since game 1 of Rangers series)
<<Iginla? (2 yrs...if it takes 3...do it)
OR
<<Gaborik? (but...he's usually very injury prone)
OR
<<Moulson? (wouldn't overpay)
IN?

Dmen:
<Matt Greene IN?
<Weaver IN (2yrs)
<Markov IN??? (2yrs? due for a big injury...?? huge risk/expensive/turtle-slow,etc)
OR
<Niskanen?? (4-5yrs? 27yrd old rightie...overrated?)

Below would be the best (imo) Habs' D-depth in a long time (remember...injuries happen...hope not, but...):
Markov?? - PK Subban
Gorges - Weaver (rightie)
Emelin - Greene (rightie)
---------------- --------------
Tinordi - Beaulieu
(a bit more AHL time for Tinordi+Beaulieu could be a good thing for our Habs...they could be better prepared for 2015 playoffs...).

Last edited:

Smokey Thompson

May 8, 2013
So what's the consensus on Matt Greene? I've seen him get exploited these playoffs, but he's tough as nails and more positionally sound than Murray.

Being a RHD is also useful. Too similar to Murray or worth a shot ?

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
Niskanen would be more at like 5 million a year. And it's a lot of money for that type of player. He isn't very physical and that's what we need more of.

zzoo

Mar 9, 2004
I have a feeling that MB will sign Ott or Moore. They are MB type of player.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
I think our biggest needs this off season is a top 6 RW and another physical, mobile defensman.

If we can sign Vanek, that would sove the top 6 hole.

I was thinking that for added depth as a 7th D, Ron Hainsey might be a good addition at the right price. I know he is a flawed defenseman but as a depth guy to come in a pinch, play both sides and still be mobile and have some size and offense ability, we could do worse. Also, he wouldn't be someone who would hinder Beau or Tinner being in the lineup if they played better.

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I have a feeling that MB will sign Ott or Moore. They are MB type of player.

I don't know Bergevin's type of players anymore!

All over the place! (especially if he re-signs Gionta and Markov to expensive contracts, ex: DD and Emelin's contracts...quite a lot of money (and signed them way too early...didn't make sense).

Markov might be signed by...default (no choice? UFA market is thin.
Gionta might be signed...unless Bergevin can go for an Iginla, Gaborik, or Moulson...to replace Gionta and Vanek?? He has to replace vanek with someone...Vrbata at worst.

But...I'm a Bergevin fan for the great Weaver, Weise, and Vanek pickups. (even though I want Vanek to GTFO after he was sleepwalking/sleep-skating VS Bos and VS the Rangers for the entire series).

Bergevin type of players:
<Weise
<Weaver
<John Scott, no? (to replace Parros?)
or
Konopka, no? (to help White, Prust,etc).
<D.Moore
<Ott (but Bergevin might think he has a few loose screws!)
definitely not Vanek

My prediction (even if I don't want these numbers):
Gionta will get $4mil+/year for 2-3 yrs.
Markov will get $5.5 - 6mil/year for 3-4 yrs.

I'll be pissed, but nothing I can do about it!!

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
So what's the consensus on Matt Greene? I've seen him get exploited these playoffs, but he's tough as nails and more positionally sound than Murray.

Being a RHD is also useful. Too similar to Murray or worth a shot ?

Greene:
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?2970

Fayne:
http://forecaster.thehockeynews.com/hockeynews/hockey/player.php?5435

Gotta stop using our LEFTIE dmen on the RIGHT side.

Sign Weaver and get M.Greene.
(or Fayne...another rightie dman).

Markov - PK Subban
Gorges - Greene?/Fayne?
Emelin - Weaver
----------- -----------
Tinordi
Beaulieu

I heard Pitts might be shopping malkin just a rumor but would you make an offer? I know I would

They would ask for too much...

Example:
Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
DD
Tinordi or Beaulieu
etc,etc.

Let Toronto overpay!!
(1st 2014, 1st 2015, 2nd 2014, Kadri, Phaneuf, JVR or Rieilly):naughty:

Last edited:

Habs 4 Life

No Excuses
Mar 30, 2005
Montreal
I heard Pitts might be shopping malkin just a rumor but would you make an offer? I know I would

Where did you hear this?

Depends what the return is but a trade like this would kill us long term cause it would cost us Galchenyuk, Gallagher and a young D like Beaulieu or Tinordi + a few picks

Mr. Hab

Nov 17, 2004
Montreal
I want an Iginla or Gaborik or Moulson ; a Greene or a Fayne and for sure Weaver (2yrs) ; a John Scott or Konopka!!,etc,etc.

But we also have to re-sign our own players!!:

PK Subban (RFA)
Eller (RFA)
Weaver (UFA)

Markov? (UFA)
Gionta?? (UFA)

Next season:
Gallagher (RFA)
Galchenyuk (RFA)
Tinordi (RFA)
Beaulieu (RFA)

<Pacioretty: $4.5mil/year till 2019...major bargain (''major keeper'' contract).
<Bourque: 3.3 for two more seasons...good bargain for a VERY SOLID playoff player who always delivers in playoffs.

They would ask for too much...

Example:
Galchenyuk
Pacioretty
DD
Tinordi or Beaulieu
etc,etc.

Let Toronto overpay!!
(1st 2014, 1st 2015, 2nd 2014, Kadri, Phaneuf, JVR or Rieilly):naughty:

If true (about malkin rumors), keep price and pk, give everything they want with the rest.

Not for me!! I like Malkin (when he's ON), but takes a solid goalie (check), solid #1dman (check), solid top 9-12 (not far from it), and a solid top 4-6 (not yet there) to win a CUP... with a young Galchenyuk (future #1 CENTER) we do not have to break up what we have. Look what it did for the Nordiques/Avalanche (Lindros VS Forsberg, Clark, Ricci,etc).

And looking forward to Tinordi, Galchenyuk, Eller,etc...
(they would ask for 2 out of the 3 mentioned just above...forget it, unless they want Briere, DD+Pacioretty, Beaulieu but obviously that's not happening!! good...I love Pacioretty's contract!).

Last edited:

lou4gehrig

Bedard 2023
Aug 2, 2005
1. Niskanen
2. Stastny

Sign'em up, please.

We have more than enough vets on D to mentor. Niskanen is a top target, will allow us to move on from the Markov era.

Top two free agents overall aren't they. Those guys are going to get ridiulous money. $2M more than any imagines.

Pompeius Magnus

May 18, 2014
Kanata ,ON
I'd really like us to add Jannik Hansen. He's got an amazing motor,descent size and skills and he'd make a great duo on a two way line with his countryman Eller. Provided of course we find a way to send Moen to pasture somehow ( Which is doable I think) .

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad