Top NHL player in the 21st Century so far? #7(Inspired by ESPN ranking)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who is the 7th best player so far in the 21st Century?

• Total voters

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
7th in a series of polls defining the top 25 so far in the 21st Century.

so right now from the poll results it's

1.Crosby
3. Ovechkin
3. McDavid
4. Lidstrom
5. Malkin
6. Brodeur

Just like the ESPN poll asks who has been the 6th best player in the 21st Century, NHL only, as in rankings all time if it was just for the 21st Century?

For example only use Lidstrom's resume in the NHL from 2000-2001 onwards.

Also name a player to add from this list of top 25 from ESPN or add your own.

14. Joe Thornton
15. Auston Matthews
16. Erik Karlsson
18. Marc-Andre Fleury
19. Andrei Vasilevskiy
20. Jarome Iginla
23. Duncan Keith
24. Victor Hedman
25. Jonathan Quick

Now things get really interesting and I'll post this from the last thread regarding Kane, Mack and Kuch

Hart voting results

Mack 1,2,2,3,5,6

Kane 1,6,,6,7,8,15,17

Kuch 1,2,6,8,12,13

Playoff scoring rate per 82

Mack 45-62-106

Kuch 30-64-93

Kane 28-47-75

That includes 15 points in 16 games past the age of 28.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Kucherov has two better seasons than Kane's best. And one (arguably two) better playoffs than Kane's best.

I get longevity, but Kucherov was just a straight up better player.
I understand the rationale but the longevity might matter more than enough to make the difference right now but maybe not in 1,2 or 3 years hard to say where that dividing line is...

That being said I think Mack lines up as a slightly better player than Kuch and I'm taking him for the second poll in a row as I guess his 7 year prime both in the regular season and playoffs plus his 3 early seasons matches up to Kane's longevity.

I also think it's time to put Joe Thornton on the next poll he is after all the 3rd leading scorer in the 21st Century, he should be an option at this point.

Reactions: Dutronc

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Should be an interesting poll. Will depend on how many Brodeur voters will now vote for Kucherov.

Could see MacKinnon in the mix too.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Kucherov has two better seasons than Kane's best. And one (arguably two) better playoffs than Kane's best.

His first Art Ross isn’t any better than Kane’s 2016. I do think Kucherov is a bit better in his prime, but the difference isn’t that big.

Last edited:

GoldenKnight

Jun 2, 2017
Las Vegas
His first Art Ross isn’t any better than Kane’s 2016. I do think Kucherov is a bit better in his prime, but the difference isn’t that big.
This is where I'm at as well. Slight edge for peak play to Kucherov, but because Kane played in a lower scoring era (for the most part, their careers do overlap some), the difference is not that big. Both guys were elite finesse wingers and similar players overall.

Kane does deserve credit for longevity, as well as for a better start to his career. Kucherov started in his draft+3 year and was a below replacement-level player his rookie year. Kane started in his draft+1 year and won the Calder with 72 points. So I'd give Kane the edge based on overall career right now, but it is very close and could change over time.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Kucherov > Kane is an absolute no brainer.

Better season? Kucherov
2nd best season? Kucherov

Better playoff run? Kucherov
2nd best playoff run? Kucherov

Look at this poll from a year ago. Over 61% of voters said Kucherov was already above Kane, and this was before Kucherov put together his best single season to date.

People who think Kane is better than Kucherov don't understand Hockey.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Kucherov > Kane is an absolute no brainer.

Better season? Kucherov
2nd best season? Kucherov

Better playoff run? Kucherov
2nd best playoff run? Kucherov

Look at this poll from a year ago. Over 61% of voters said Kucherov was already above Kane, and this was before Kucherov put together his best single season to date.

People who think Kane is better than Kucherov don't understand Hockey.

How is Kane's best season not as good as Kucherov's 2nd season?

If it's all about raw point totals then where do you rank Huberdeau, Gaudreau and Pasternak's best seasons vs. Kane?

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Kucherov:

1st, 1st, 3rd, 3rd, 5th in points

Kane:

1st, 2nd, 3rd, 5th, 5th in points

Beyond that:

Kucherov:

7th

Kane:

8th, 9th

I'd say Kucherov's high-end advantage is more meaningful than Kane's additional top ten scoring finish. Kane does have about 500 more games played and has been a productive player throughout his career, but I would say Kucherov's peak and prime are already better.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
I dislike Kucherov, but I mean, it's hard to argue against his resume

I went with him

Kane and Mack are next for me

Caps8112

Sponsor
Aug 12, 2008

he did.....when all the goalies began to suck and players were able to all of a sudden reach 120-140 points because of scoring going up. Kane was old when this happened.

Reactions: EXTRAS

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Kucherov, both his highs and lows are more impressive thus far. For all his excellence Kane also had some relatively weak seasons in his prime.

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
Add joe thorton. Dude was best forward across a few years in the early 2000s.

4 of 5 years between 02/03-07/08 where he had 96+ points: 101, 73, 125, 114, 96.

Last edited:

CokenoPepsi

Oct 28, 2016
Kane was held back quite a bit playing with some rather subpar talent while Kuch has always gotten to play with guys like Pointe and Stamkos.

daver

Apr 4, 2003
Visit site
Kane was held back quite a bit playing with some rather subpar talent while Kuch has always gotten to play with guys like Pointe and Stamkos.

Both players have showed they could produce well on their own but not necessarily at their peak without serious support.

Both are measured exclusively by their offense. Kane benefitted more from sheltered minutes than Kucherov.

Kucherov is a rich man's Kane but Kane does have that "clutch" feel about him. It's a tossup now but likely Kucherov moves clearly ahead with another Top 5/10 scoring finish.

I am a bit surprised that MacKinnon is not getting more attention vs. these two.

Reactions: wetcoast

Felidae

Sep 30, 2016
Luongo is my pick.

19 year career in the 21st century, 9 of those seasons he finished top 10 in sv% (most of any goalie this century)

And it didn't matter what type of team he was on. From quality Canucks teams to mediocre/bad Panthers teams that were below average in GA, his sv% did not fluctuate much.

Reactions: vancityluongo

TruePowerSlave

Jun 27, 2015
Luongo is my pick.

19 year career in the 21st century, 9 of those seasons he finished top 10 in sv% (most of any goalie this century)

And it didn't matter what type of team he was on. From quality Canucks teams to mediocre/bad Panthers teams that were below average in GA, his sv% did not fluctuate much.
It's a crime that Luongo didn't win the Vezina. 03-04 he should have won clearly but the voters went with Brodeur probably because he had more wins, purely a team stat I might add.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad