Top NHL player in the 21st Century so far? #3(Inspired by ESPN ranking)

who is the top NHL player so far for the 21st Century?

• Total voters

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
If you wish to nuance it and say that post-2014, Malkin was Top 3 only for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons, rather than from 2007-2018 as a block, feel free. It is a fair argument to make. Since Malkin was a Top 3 player in the 2007-2014 period, I think having a down year or so due to injuries at that point shouldn’t remove him from his position, since he returned there again for a few years.

I would respectfully disagree with your list of names, Ovechkin for example was worse than Malkin in every single season during the 2014-2018 time period.
I would say Ovechkin was the better player in 2014-2015, but I can concede that he was not a better player in the 2014-2018 stretch.

Reactions: TheGoldenJet

Video Nasty

Mar 12, 2017
Really hard to argue against 7 Norris trophies, though.

It is, but it can be done. I understand Brodeur has no real accolades during his final four seasons in New Jersey, other than the terrific final playoff run in 2011-2012, but they were also a bottom three offense in three out of those four seasons. If he has the collective power of those Detroit teams in his latter years, I think he’s even higher than he already ranks. Lidstrom was obviously a huge contributor to that, but he played on stacked teams virtually his entire career.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
If you wish to nuance it and say that post-2014, Malkin was Top 3 only for the 2016-17 and 2017-18 seasons, rather than from 2007-2018 as a block, feel free. It is a fair argument to make. Since Malkin was a Top 3 player in the 2007-2014 period, I think having a down year or so due to injuries at that point shouldn’t remove him from his position, since he returned there again for a few years.

I would respectfully disagree with your list of names, Ovechkin for example was worse than Malkin in every single season during the 2014-2018 time period.
Ovechkin was better than Malkin in 2015 and 2016. He was deemed the best skater in the league in 2015 proven by both Hart and Lindsay voting. Malkin playing a full season would not have made a difference. In the 2016 season, Ovechkin was better once again for playing the full season, and having much more of an impact when he did play. He nearly doubled his opposition in goals when he was on the ice at 5v5 while Malkin was on the ice for slightly fewer goals against than he scored. I agree that Malkin was a better overall player on a per-game basis from 2014-2018 judging it as a whole.

TheGoldenJet

Apr 2, 2008
Coquitlam, BC
Ovechkin was better once again for playing the full season
This is really the only argument Ovechkin has for this time period, and it doesn’t even hold water for most of the seasons in the 2014-2018 era.

I agree that Malkin was a better overall player on a per-game basis from 2014-2018 judging it as a whole.
Agreed, he was significantly better.

Reactions: Wings4Life

Nadal On Clay

Djokovic > Nadal > Federer
Oct 11, 2017
It is, but it can be done. I understand Brodeur has no real accolades during his final four seasons in New Jersey, other than the terrific final playoff run in 2011-2012, but they were also a bottom three offense in three out of those four seasons. If he has the collective power of those Detroit teams in his latter years, I think he’s even higher than he already ranks. Lidstrom was obviously a huge contributor to that, but he played on stacked teams virtually his entire career.
Brodeur did benefit of the “trap” system a lot though, during the 2000s. It’s proven that the goalies benefit a lot more from the quality of the team around them than the defensemans. The impact that the Red Wings had on Lidstrom’s dominance is clearly below the impact that the trap system had on Brodeur’s numbers/dominance.

Lidstrom was arguably the best defenseman in the league for 7 of the 12 years he played in the century. That’s just too good to pass on.

Reactions: wetcoast

EXTRAS

Jul 31, 2012
It's insane that makar has been in the league 5 years, and has Four top 3 norris finishes already, and the year he wasn't top 3 he won the Calder. And that's while dealing with a ton of injuries.

For reference, duncan Keith only finished top 3 twice in his career, pronger finished top 3 four times over his entire career, and letang once. Karlsson five times. Makar is only 25 so still has a ton of runway.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012
Ovechkin was better than Malkin in 2015 and 2016. He was deemed the best skater in the league in 2015 proven by both Hart and Lindsay voting. Malkin playing a full season would not have made a difference. In the 2016 season, Ovechkin was better once again for playing the full season, and having much more of an impact when he did play. He nearly doubled his opposition in goals when he was on the ice at 5v5 while Malkin was on the ice for slightly fewer goals against than he scored. I agree that Malkin was a better overall player on a per-game basis from 2014-2018 judging it as a whole.
People voting is not the standard for proof lol.

BackToTheBasics

Dec 26, 2013
People voting is not the standard for proof lol.
So, both NHL players and writers voting Ovechkin as a better player for that season doesn't give validity to Ovechkin being better? You can go ahead and argue that Malkin was better if you'd like. I doubt you'll have many people in agreement with that.

Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Ad

Ad