Top line MIA

Leafidelity

Existentially Drifting
Apr 6, 2008
Downtown Canada
Leafs centre piece is Kessel and the Raptors have Gay, both will give you a stand out game a week then disappear. Which team will reach the promise land with their respective leadership.

Black-Man-Stark-Trek-Facepalm-Gif.gif

Al14

Jul 13, 2007
Kessel is a streaky scorer. JVR is also somewhat streaky just as Flyer fans told us.

Also, there is always the opponents, who might have the ability to shut them down.

I've never liked how streaky Kessel is. This is also why I don't think he is worth $8M per year. But, who am I?

I really hope Nonis doesn't overpay for Phaneuf too!

Diatomic

Mitch Matthewlander
Mar 12, 2013
Air Canada Centre
lol @ missing Bozak is why Kessel/JVR are slumping, didn't Kessel have like a 10 game scoring slump last year to begin the season? pretty sure he was playing with Bozo 99% of the time.

Kessel's a streaky player, and so is JVR. Right now Holland is playing exactly how Bozak is playing, good on the draw and staying back. If you think Bozak coming back is going to fire up the 1st line your kidding yourself :laugh:.

TheLeastOfTheBunch

Franchise Centre
Jun 28, 2007
Toronto
Once again our goaltending has saved us some points. I'm not gonna go into a team wide debate as to why that is, but here are some stats on the top line recently...

Kessel

3 goals, 0 assists in last 10 games

JVR

3 goals, 1 assist in last 10 games

They have been getting premium ice time as well. And premium power play time and nothing to show for it.

They are in a full on slump with no sign of it coming to an end anytime soon..

Yeah, they have to be a lot more consistent than that. We're 5-4-1 over that stretch, and 3 of those were 1 goal losses.

JVR's played very well though even when he's not scoring, while Kessel might be dealing with an injury..

Rob11

Nov 9, 2012
This thread is ridiculous. Glad more people are not agreeing with OP.

Jvr played center for 3 or 4 games which he was lost.

Kessel has been under the weather for the last few.

They have been not getting as many points since Tyler bozak got hurt. Which could be coincidence but chemistry is important.

All of these are perfectly valid reasons for them under performing.

3 goals in 10 games isn't bad and either is JVRs 4 points and a shoot out goal.

OP the sky is falling

rdawg1234

Jul 2, 2012
They're coming back calm down. They went in a slump purely because JVR went to centre which really threw off the chemistry for them.

They just had a great game against NYI. I expect them to be 100% back tomorrow.

Kessel is not a streaky scorer at all, he's usually very consistent.

Slot

Mar 6, 2012
Is there evidence to your statement?

They both look fine to me

kessel's wrist was taped up with a tensor including over the webbing of his thumb. don't know if that's usual for him? think it was his left.

Kingstonian84*

Sep 23, 2012
Here is the problem, Kessel and JVR are extremely streaky the type of players who will pop 10 goals in 10 games but then go MIA for the next 10-15 games. Not just that I think Kessel has a wrist injury, I noticed last game he had chances to shoot and he elected to pass it off, hopefully its nothing to serious though with him.

Snow Dog

Victorious
Jan 3, 2013
GTA
Kessel is holding back until Bozak returns.Then,Kessel starts firing on all cylinders to prove that his buddy is nessessary to the team.

Havoc

Jul 25, 2009
Here is the problem, Kessel and JVR are extremely streaky the type of players who will pop 10 goals in 10 games but then go MIA for the next 10-15 games. Not just that I think Kessel has a wrist injury, I noticed last game he had chances to shoot and he elected to pass it off, hopefully its nothing to serious though with him.

I disagree. Kessel is not streaky in terms of getting points. When he doesn't score he still gets assists. He never goes MIA.

Right now he is MIA.

dredeye

BJ Elitist/Hipster
Mar 3, 2008
The value of depth is not having to rely on your top line every night. You also need your goalie to steal games once in a while. Be thankful you guys have that now. Makes winning easier.

Mowerman

Oct 27, 2010
Toronto
This thread is ridiculous. Glad more people are not agreeing with OP.

Jvr played center for 3 or 4 games which he was lost.

Kessel has been under the weather for the last few.

They have been not getting as many points since Tyler bozak got hurt. Which could be coincidence but chemistry is important.

All of these are perfectly valid reasons for them under performing.

3 goals in 10 games isn't bad and either is JVRs 4 points and a shoot out goal.

OP the sky is falling
Yep. The worst case scenario happened & the Leafs were fortunate to be in a part of the schedule where they could weather the storm and still consistently get points. With pretty much no centres & the top offensive player being far from 100% they are above .500 with 11 points in 10 games. Don't get the sky is falling sense from it at all. It's actually a pretty big sigh of relief that they have been getting the results they have and hanging in there.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
I know they'll turn it around. Obviously.

Um, anytime now.

Hope Bernier can top 49 saves. Heck he probably will.

So this is what it feels like to have elite goaltending.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
You do realize most of those 10 games had JVR playing center that **** up the entire top lines chemistry.

MajorityRules*

I'm trying to determine what the OP want's all of us to do in order to hold JVR and Kessel accountable.

Should we stand outside the ACC and heckle the two of them whenever they show up to the arena?
Should we petition Nonis to withhold their pay for a week to punish them for not producing at a rate that makes the fans happy?
Maybe everyone at the ACC can boo whenever Kessel or JVR touch the puck, just like they did with Krusty the Clown.

I'm pretty sure the only person that's going to hold either of them accountable for their less than normal production is Carlyle and it seems he's already doing that with reduced icetime. If you have a better method, perhaps you should whisper something in Carlyle's ear.

HellasLEAF

'93 to Infinity
Sep 14, 2006
apparently, it's frowned upon to criticize your highest paid players, for a stretch of 10 games where they haven't produced. as long as our goalies stand on their head each night and we win it's all good. Looks like that's not the case tonight. uh oh..

didn't realize we weren't allowed to do that.

sorry guys!!!

Go leafs go!!

p.s. have you guys checked the standings recently? we are 3 points from 7th.

I don't know about you, but I would like to see the Leafs get home ice advantages for once. it's been how many years since the Leafs not only made the playoffs, but had home ice advantage. your top guys can't slump that long, that simple!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad