Top GM Replacements

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

iCanada

Feb 6, 2010
Edmonton
Totally absurd that Hextall is not on that list

"Hextall said he took a three-stage approach toward trying to build a contender: clean up the salary-cap mess left behind by Holmgren, his predecessor; watch prospects grow as a team; make a big splash through free agency or a trade when the Flyers were close to "go time."

"Hextall was criticized for refusing to listen to scouts and advisers and had been accused of cutting off alumni access to the team."

"I can assure you, I was being aggressive," he said. "If we would have had something that made sense for us, short term and long term, we would have done it."

Hired.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

"Hextall said he took a three-stage approach toward trying to build a contender: clean up the salary-cap mess left behind by Holmgren, his predecessor; watch prospects grow as a team; make a big splash through free agency or a trade when the Flyers were close to "go time."

"Hextall was criticized for refusing to listen to scouts and advisers and had been accused of cutting off alumni access to the team."

"I can assure you, I was being aggressive," he said. "If we would have had something that made sense for us, short term and long term, we would have done it."

I was actually pretty impressed with Hextalls press conference after he got fired. I think he got wrongfully dismissed.

I actually appreciate that he cut off the alumni. He discussed this in detail in his presser.

The not listening to scouts could be a bad thing. One thing that doesn’t impress me too much about Hextall is some of the drafting. Yeah he did a great job stocking the system with a ton of picks but I just feel him and/or staff just reached on too many picks when it didn’t seem necessary. Too soon to know but also looks like some of them aren’t working out all that great. I am not talking about the prorovs, harts etc.

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Leicester city just replaced their manager with former Liverpool/Celtic manager Brendan Rodgers. On his first day he said "I'll give my life to make the supporters proud of their club." Let's hope we can find someone with that kind of attitude, and spreads it throughout the organization, from the upper management down to the ice. Edmonton is a proud hockey city, one of the greatest on earth, we should be able to get this right.

Don't tell that to Celtic supporters. Their nickname for him right now (after leaving before the end of the season) is 'the rat c*nt'.

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013

He might be on the list. Dreger didn't name everyone.

Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
I was actually pretty impressed with Hextalls press conference after he got fired. I think he got wrongfully dismissed.

I actually appreciate that he cut off the alumni. He discussed this in detail in his presser.

The not listening to scouts could be a bad thing. One thing that doesn’t impress me too much about Hextall is some of the drafting. Yeah he did a great job stocking the system with a ton of picks but I just feel him and/or staff just reached on too many picks when it didn’t seem necessary. Too soon to know but also looks like some of them aren’t working out all that great. I am not talking about the prorovs, harts etc.

Konecny is their #1 RW who they traded up for. Morgan Frost, who they traded up for, is 2ppg in the OHL again?
Myers, who went undrafted is now playing top 4 and probably gonna end up a #2 dman.

And you can't omit Hart. He was a late pick. That is the epitome of drafting.

Sorry, but their drafting has been extremely impressive.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016

Konecny is their #1 RW who they traded up for. Morgan Frost, who they traded up for, is 2ppg in the OHL again?
Myers, who went undrafted is now playing top 4 and probably gonna end up a #2 dman.

skagittarius

Jan 18, 2016
PNW
One thing that doesn’t impress me too much about Hextall is some of the drafting.

Drafting is clearly one of his strengths. Sure, like everyone some picks he'd like to have back, but overall he built one of the best prospect pools in the NHL. It's his pro level scouting that was questionable. Hextall should be a candidate for any team looking to rebuild. Not sure that's where the Oilers feel they are from an organizational standpoint, but you could do a lot worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: bobbythebrain

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
^ This. They were voted top prosoect pool 2 years running by several reputable sites

Chis Pryor, their AGM, was also fired for his loyalty to Hextall.

It's much believed he was the brains behind their drafting.

Obviously he doesn't have the resume, but he should be given a loooooong look in some sort of capacity imo

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I get why Hextall is "blackballed" in a way, but man I like what he did in LA and Philly.

And the fact that he was rude to alumni and planted moles in the organization makes him perfect for the Oilers. Honestly.

He's been my pick from day 1.

Quinteoilers

Jan 7, 2012
I get the Hextall “love”but one of his objectives was to clean up the salary cap mess made by his predecessor in Philadelphia . The next Oilers GM will be doing the same thing! No GM is going to keep a $6M 14pt Lucic...and a few other absurd contracts. They need wiggle room. I’m leaning towards Hunter, I’ll bet he knows all kinds of gems on the OHL that need to be drafted or given tryouts.

redgrant

Nov 2, 2013
Nicholson is going to make another massive error and hire Mccrimmon or Hunter. The deep dive is just for optics.

Kranix

Deranged Homer
Jun 27, 2012

Hextall's approach seems good, but his loyalty to Hakstol was bizarre to me.

Hemsky is a gangsta

Hemsky is a gangsta
Jun 23, 2004
Extremely disappointed in the list of candidates TSN put forward. It’s just a bunch of amateur scouting/Hockey Canada guys. McCrimmon seems like the best option.

If it were up to me, Ron Hextall, Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman would be at the top of the list.

bobbythebrain

Jul 30, 2016
Hextall's approach seems good, but his loyalty to Hakstol was bizarre to me.

While Hakstol proved to be a big mistake...I doubt you can accuse Ron of being the first GM to stick to their coach.

GMs love their picks

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011

I went back and looked at their drafting. I really didnt like the Jay O'Brien pick, but from looking at some of the picks, theres as not many reaches as I was thinking. I was wrong.

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Nicholson is going to make another massive error and hire Mccrimmon or Hunter. The deep dive is just for optics.
Everything I have heard McCrimmon would be a good move. Futa is another interesting name. Eliminate Gretzky and Nonis from the Dreger list as the two worst choices.

If I were to guess Burke and McCrimmon are the front runners. Since it is the Oilers, Gretzky would likely be the choice. :squint:

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
Everything I have heard McCrimmon would be a good move. Futa is another interesting name. Eliminate Gretzky and Nonis from the Dreger list as the two worst choices.

If I were to guess Burke and McCrimmon are the front runners. Since it is the Oilers, Gretzky would likely be the choice. :squint:
Burke certainly would be interesting. Would also help in developing our goalies

BudBundy

May 16, 2005
Extremely disappointed in the list of candidates TSN put forward. It’s just a bunch of amateur scouting/Hockey Canada guys. McCrimmon seems like the best option.

If it were up to me, Ron Hextall, Mike Gillis and Laurence Gilman would be at the top of the list.
Mike Gillis??:skeptic: Not in this lifetime.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005
I don't get the Maccrimon love. Vegas made some terrible trades already.

They gave up huge value for Stone and patches.

I think Gallant deserves way more credit with that rosters success

I think McPhee is more to blame for the trades.

He made some weird trades in Washington too.

EdmFlyersfan

Feb 20, 2007
Edmonton
He wasn't wrongfully dismissed, he was given plenty of chances and time to fire the coach also and stop doing "toxic" things to the organization...imagine if you had a GM who was hell bent on keeping Dallas Eakins (Dave Hakstol in Philly) no matter what anyone else in the organization said for the foreseeable future no matter how many losses piled up and fans started to stay away from the arena...once you start to reach the level where season ticket holders are not looking to renew and the potential revenue drop it becomes an issue for the CEO/Owner.

Hextall started to force players to wear specialized equipment "for safety" during various on-ice events, took control of the Flyers Wives Carnival, also wanted to control their diets 24/7...he went way beyond his scope as a GM and he paid the price.

There was a sigh of relief in the organization from top-to-bottom when Hextall and Hakstol were shown the door...

Reactions: FlameChampion

Lrrr

Omicron Persei 8
Apr 7, 2010
Edmonton
I get the Hextall “love”but one of his objectives was to clean up the salary cap mess made by his predecessor in Philadelphia . The next Oilers GM will be doing the same thing! No GM is going to keep a $6M 14pt Lucic...and a few other absurd contracts. They need wiggle room. I’m leaning towards Hunter, I’ll bet he knows all kinds of gems on the OHL that need to be drafted or given tryouts.

Wouldn't that make him a good choice for the Oilers then...?

Sanchez

Jan 18, 2006
Only reason Dave Nonis is mentioned is because of Dreger; they are cousins I believe.

Reactions: TB12

Del Preston

Mar 8, 2013
There is a quick Nicholson interview on TSN.ca today.

- he's talked to a lot of people in the game over the last 3.5 weeks and some more people in the last couple days at the GM meetings
- will begin interviewing candidates in the next 2 weeks or so
- has not asked teams for permission yet
- experience is important but also says there are a lot of up-and-coming people (assistant GMs)
- did not give a straight answer to Rishaug's question on if Keith Gretzky is a candidate but said he's impressed with the job KG has done
- number one priority is drafting and development
- no timeline set; he's going to take as much time as needed to get the right person

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad