Top Free Agents Still Available

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Keep Sorokin Me Babe

Hit em with the four like
Jun 18, 2016
Looking around the league, there's not too many teams who would really need Russell on his roster, don't see him getting a long term contract anymore unless he really lessens his reported annual salary

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area
I would not be even a tiny bit averse to the Sharks signing Enroth to be our backup goalie. IIRC we can afford 1.5-2m for the slot, which I'd be willing to pay him for sure. I suspect his asking price is higher than that, however. Not sure how much leverage he has, though, since there's almost no one besides us looking for a goaltender.

Mad Brills*

Yeah, if wiz didn't tear his acl last year I'd imagine he'd be one of the first guys gone on july 1

Mad Brills*

I would not be even a tiny bit averse to the Sharks signing Enroth to be our backup goalie. IIRC we can afford 1.5-2m for the slot, which I'd be willing to pay him for sure. I suspect his asking price is higher than that, however. Not sure how much leverage he has, though, since there's almost no one besides us looking for a goaltender.

leafs

Brock Radunske

안양종합운동장 빙상장
Aug 8, 2012
If the Wiz wants a cheap "show me contract" then come see the Leafs.
He'll get a ton of ice time and will have a shot at the cup once they flip him at the deadline.

Once

Stop ******* crying bro
Jul 16, 2010
If the Wiz wants a cheap "show me contract" then come see the Leafs.
He'll get a ton of ice time and will have a shot at the cup once they flip him at the deadline.

No...

Leafs are log jammed and would like to see one or two of our Dman develop. Carrick/Valiev. Plus we got Polak so that would have been Wiz's shot with the Leafs.

Maurice of Orange

13:21 🏒🏒
Feb 5, 2016
I wonder if any teams have had a serious talk with Sam Gagner's agent, about signing Sam to a contract yet.

Gagner had a decent year with the flyers (53Gp-8G-8A-16Pts-25Pim-+4) although in a limited role as a 3rd line RW when he did play.

Was on the 3rd line with LW Read and C Cousins and or C Laughton, or as the fill in on the 2nd line RW for a few games because of injury to a top 6 forward.

Hally BlackWood

Jul 31, 2010
Thunder Bay
I wonder if any teams have had a serious talk with Sam Gagner's agent, about signing Sam to a contract yet.

Gagner had a decent year with the flyers (53Gp-8G-8A-16Pts-25Pim-+4) although in a limited role as a 3rd line RW when he did play.

Was on the 3rd line with LW Read and C Cousins and or C Laughton, or as the fill in on the 2nd line RW for a few games because of injury to a top 6 forward.

I would think nj has talked to him but I dunno how serious.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
surprised the oilers or any team for that matter haven't taken a flyer on Wisniewski. I still don't get why he was bought out. are there long term issues from his injury?

Markov had a similar surgery and recovered 18 months later. Seidenberg had a similar surgery and never did.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Yes, they rushed him so hard he's fourth in scoring for his draft year. While there's a good chance he dips as low as 10th once 2016-17 is over, Gagner's problem has never been talent or development; he just isn't big enough to play a bottom six role or fast enough to be a consistent top six scoring threat. I don't believe any other team could have gotten more out of him than the Oilers did, and that he essentially was the same player in Arizona as he was here is indicative of that.

This is fair. Edmonton has been a disaster at developing their young core and the parts around them, but they didn't ruin Gagner by any means.

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
I would think nj has talked to him but I dunno how serious.

It wouldn't be a bad idea if Gagner did sign with the Devil.

Although his soul would be in hell for an eternity.
Atleast Gagner would know someone he used to be team mates with in Edmonton namely Taylor Hall.

ProspectsSTC

Jul 12, 2014
I really hope Montreal gives Pirri a shot at our 2nd or 3rd line LW spot if we can't find a good option within the system. On pace for almost 37 goals a couple of years ago (and less than 4 assists), I know he's had injuries but he must be at the very least a decent option for us.

WonderTwinsUnite

May 28, 2007
BC
Wouldn't mind the Canucks grabbing Versteeg. Hudler is better but would cost more. Versteeg is a good stopgap until Boeser and Virtanen make the league/bream out

Maurice of Orange

Feb 5, 2016
Wouldn't mind the Canucks grabbing Versteeg. Hudler is better but would cost more. Versteeg is a good stopgap until Boeser and Virtanen make the league/bream out

I've read somewhere last week that kris versteeg was close to signing a contract with EHC Biel of the NLA in Switzerland, but may be waiting for a better offer from an NHL club.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Oilers should sign him for a cheap show me 1 year contract. Right shooting defenseman that when he is healthy enough to play has been able to produce offensively yea it does surprise me not to give him a chance if it doesn't work out can waive him or whatever. Low risk high reward.

I would hope that we are or at least have explored Wiz as an option. I have a feeling that Chiarelli is not done with our defense just yet. He liked Gryba last year and traded for him a year ago yet we haven't signed him. We have 2 RHD on our club, Larsson and Fayne.

Limekiller

May 16, 2010
SF Bay Area

Fair point. And I did say almost. :sarcasm:

In all seriousness though, two teams potentially in the market for a backup goalie does not make for a highly competitive bidding war. Given what Montoya and others signed for already, Enroth might need to take something at about 1m if he wants to have a job next year.

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
surprised the oilers or any team for that matter haven't taken a flyer on Wisniewski. I still don't get why he was bought out. are there long term issues from his injury?

I don't think the buyout reflects poorly on him or his career prospects going forward. IMO, he was caught in a numbers game in Carolina. Can't play him in the top 4 because you'd be stifling the development of a younger player like Pesce or Slavin. At the same time, it's a waste of money to play him on the third pair - and at the same time, you're not sure about his knee.

Also, realize that Carolina has to have somebody to meet the 40/70 requirement for the expansion draft - otherwise they'd have to expose Faulk since he's the only eligible player under contract when it happens. Considering they likely didn't have plans to extend or re-sign Wiz, why not cut him now and let him get a chance with another team.

A lot of factors conspiring together led to that move, IMO. I'm not trying to prop up Wiz or anything, I'm not like a big fan of his, I can't even claim to have seen the 47 seconds he played for my team. I just think there were much different circumstances here than your typical buyout.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
Yeah, if wiz didn't tear his acl last year I'd imagine he'd be one of the first guys gone on july 1

On the flipside, if he didn't tear his ACL, he may not have been bought out either and may not have even been available on 7/1.

Dylonus

May 4, 2009
Pittsburgh
"Where is Russell?"

He's in the nearest trash can, where he belongs. He's awful. Why do people still have this perception of him as if he's any good?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad