Top defenceman

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

Clutch Mediocrity

May 8, 2004
Ottawa, Ontario
www.4thegame.com
Chelios said:
I mentioned this in another thread and I thought I would post it here too to get some reaction. I would first like to say that yes I am a Blackhawk fan, but I would also like to say that I was never much of a Barker fan... until this tournement.

It still boggles my mind how little credit this guy gets, I don`t understand this attitude towards him. I wasn`t going to bother mentioning this, because I didn`t want to interrupt the big Bourdon lovefest, but to me Barker has been Canada`s best defenseman, if not the best in the tournement. Everyone keeps saying "Barker hasn`t impressed me", well then you can`t be looking very hard. Barker isn`t one of those players like Bourdon and Phaneuf that are going to jump out and impress you, but if you really watch his game, he is exceptional. I really like Bourdon, but if you watch the game closely he makes quite a few mistakes, often as a result of trying to do too much, this isn`t the case with Barker. Defensively Barker reads the play almost on another level, his defense is excellent even though he doesn`t hit too often (which I really hope he starts since he has the size and strength), his positioning is also very good and his break out passes are perfect. He rarely gets caught up the ice, almost never overcommits himself, and controls the gap well. Offensively, again, his vision sets him apart from almost any other defenseman in this tournement, his wrist shot from the point is one of the best I have ever seen , he controls the puck better than any defenseman in the tournement, and his passes are deadly accurate.

To all of you who have not been impressed with Barker, I challenge you to watch him closely next game and I guarentee you will be impressed.

Ditto. I was looking for Barker and did notice that. It's a shame those who are so focused on the two Johnsons (I for one was not that impressed with Erik at all tonight compared to other outings) miss that type of skill. And it is a skill, even if it's not flashy. But it sure is effective. Having taken Meszaros in 04 and him playing very well in the NHL, I wanted to see the year's first blueline selection in particular on team Canada.

I actually was going to post something similar about Lee (although he hasn't been quite as good in this tourney as Barker has) when a fellow Sens fan got a little heat for claiming he desrved mention when talking about good USA blueliners.

I looked for him and he never made any glaring mistakes, moved the puck well (PP in particular), was not on the ice for any GA, on the ice for a few PP tallies by America, and kept forwards to the outside with body position as opposed to curhsing hits. I only saw one incedent where he was in trouble and that's when Canada's forcheck kept the US defensemen (Lee/Johnson on this particular shift) pinned in their own zone and they got tired. He wasn't going to get player of the game or anything but I don't expect him to. But if he was invisible like so many people claim it wasn't because he was doing anything wrong, it's because he was going about his business quietly. I would've liked to see him involved on the scoresheet - and I wish he could develop a little bit of a physical game to speak of - but I found his performance, espcially against a Canadian team that gives the D little time, more than adequate.

HabLover

Mar 2, 2002
Sandspit
Visit site
canucksfan said:
Right now it's hard to say. Jack Johnson I think would win it right now.

JJ has done nothing for this award yet? Where is the big, bone crushing, offensive blueliner that has been advertised? Too much hype!

I would say at this point Barker, Bourdon and even Staal are all looking pretty good. In the end it will go to a player from the gold medal winning team anyways, whoever that may be?

Kaizer

Apr 26, 2003
Berlin, Germany
HabLover said:
Very possible, but they will have a tough game with the Americans, don't get too far ahead of yourself!
I have to agree, don't get too far because Americans will play with Czehcs ;)

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
JJ looked good against Norway . Hasn't done much since. Hedman is no real surprise... a year older than most and very seasoned in Sweden . Question his size at the Pro level.

Like Hedman and J. Johnson for the all star team... maybe Bourdon and one of the Russians for the second team

Today Bourdon made a couple of plays which were just awesome. On one got caught pinching and US got a 2 on 1. He was giving up almost the blue line to the red line on the American and just stormed back to catch the player half way back into the defensive zone. And the Americans have a fast team. The excelleration and speed shown by Boudon was incredible. I think others must have seen this play. The other was when he clobbered Ryan in the corner. He totally dominated Ryan physically and by the end of the shift Ryan had given up challenging
Bourdon.

Hopefully Bourdon can channel some of this unique talent. However, probably some distance away from doing this.

Panopticon

Apr 20, 2004
Helsinki
SectionX said:
who have been disappointing.

I hope the american team has the same attitude as some of these posters here, that would teach them and these posters here something important about this beautiful sport called hockey.

SeLaine

May 26, 2004
Chelios said:
I mentioned this in another thread and I thought I would post it here too to get some reaction. I would first like to say that yes I am a Blackhawk fan, but I would also like to say that I was never much of a Barker fan... until this tournement.

It still boggles my mind how little credit this guy gets, I don`t understand this attitude towards him. I wasn`t going to bother mentioning this, because I didn`t want to interrupt the big Bourdon lovefest, but to me Barker has been Canada`s best defenseman, if not the best in the tournement. Everyone keeps saying "Barker hasn`t impressed me", well then you can`t be looking very hard. Barker isn`t one of those players like Bourdon and Phaneuf that are going to jump out and impress you, but if you really watch his game, he is exceptional. I really like Bourdon, but if you watch the game closely he makes quite a few mistakes, often as a result of trying to do too much, this isn`t the case with Barker. Defensively Barker reads the play almost on another level, his defense is excellent even though he doesn`t hit too often (which I really hope he starts since he has the size and strength), his positioning is also very good and his break out passes are perfect. He rarely gets caught up the ice, almost never overcommits himself, and controls the gap well. Offensively, again, his vision sets him apart from almost any other defenseman in this tournement, his wrist shot from the point is one of the best I have ever seen , he controls the puck better than any defenseman in the tournement, and his passes are deadly accurate.

To all of you who have not been impressed with Barker, I challenge you to watch him closely next game and I guarentee you will be impressed.

I totally agree with you. Barker has been very very good. Bourdon has looked very good at times but he does get caught out of position at times

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
NightScout said:
Judging by stats only, Emelin, Hedman and Biryukov have been amazing. Emelin with only +2, but leading the defensemen in scoring with 1+5.
Hedman with 1+3 and a +9, Biryukov with 0+4 and a +6.
I note that your 3 favourites have yet to play a game against any "A" division teams.
If they can put up those kind of stats against Canada, US and/or Finland, then I will agree with you.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Barker has been pretty good, but he still appears too nonchalant to me out there.. He also can not get his point shots on net very accurately. He is a silky smooth player with great passing, and he has a great upside.. I just don't think he is a 3rd overall type of player.

hockeyfan125

Jul 10, 2004
Man.Utd said:
It was Bourdon who was caught napping when the USA scored thier second goal of the game on that breakaway, was it not?
yep. He was indescisive on making a change, and it cost him.

Chelios

Jan 1, 2004
Visit site
jtuzzi said:
Barker has been pretty good, but he still appears too nonchalant to me out there.. He also can not get his point shots on net very accurately. He is a silky smooth player with great passing, and he has a great upside.. I just don't think he is a 3rd overall type of player.

I think this is one of the reasons alot of people are down on him, it looks like he doesn`t really care out there. But that is one of the things that I`ve grown to love about him, he is so smooth, so calm and yet so effective, reminds me alot of Wader Redden, but a better skater. As far as the shots from the point, those are intentional. Watch him on the PP, he always has his head up, and will almost get it on net when there is a lane. When there isn`t he will do exactly what you said, wiz it past the guy covering the point and put it just off of the net. I know from playing defense my whole life that the best thing to do when shooting from the point is to just miss the forwards shin pads, watch him, he almost never has a shot blocked.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Enoch said:
Watching tonight's game...Bourdon had too many big turnovers to win this award. He should be a good one, but he was too inconsistent IMO.
I agree

I think Bourdon is a great point man, but makes some dumb decisions. I think it's crazy to say he's been near perfect. He's good at getting his shots through, and distributing the puck. I noticed a number of times he recovered a broken play at the blueline and instead of flipping it back to Letang to re-group, he flipped it back into the zone for the US to easily gain control. In his own zone he can be a bit of a puck chaser, and will often value the big hit over holding his position. He does have that great acceleration to recover though.

I know this won't be popular, but I'm not seeing what you guys are.

clay

Aug 25, 2005
Vancouver
Everyone seems to be getting down on Bourdon pretty easily. The only mistake that I saw him make was the second US goal, but that was also caused by a lack of communication from the players that were on the bench.

TheDynasty

Aug 8, 2005
Emelin with 6 points in 4 games, and +2

Bourdon with 5 points in 4 games, and +4

E. Johnson with 4 points in 4 games, and +4

Barker with 4 points in 4 games, and +3

These are the guys I see in the running. Just like the Norris, I think points are gonna matter, as well as a solid +/- stat (even though a lot of posters hate the stat).

Barker and Bourdon are probably the best two-way d-men in the tourney thus far. I suspect it will come down to the medal round games though.

Steveorama

Aug 20, 2003
Oakville, ON
Visit site
TheDynasty said:
Emelin with 6 points in 4 games, and +2
Bourdon with 5 points in 4 games, and +4
E. Johnson with 4 points in 4 games, and +4
Barker with 4 points in 4 games, and +3
These are the guys I see in the running. Just like the Norris, I think points are gonna matter, as well as a solid +/- stat (even though a lot of posters hate the stat).
Barker and Bourdon are probably the best two-way d-men in the tourney thus far. I suspect it will come down to the medal round games though.

Absolutely. One or two of these guys are gonna elevate their game in the medal round and settle this.
The Johnson/Emelin debate will be settled in the semi-final game, I suspect, assuming the Americans get by the Czechs.

Rise from the Ashes

Price defies corsi
Sep 13, 2005
Pointe-Claire, QC
emelin was named 4 nations best defenceman and is the best player on lada togliati, it should be a very good matchup against anyone russia plays, asuming that Khudobin continues this way russia is in the finals. I just think canada or us will beat em because of the physicalness of their style. Russia only has physical defenceman (emelin) and no physical forwards with the exception of Malkin.

prospera

May 15, 2005
edler

The_Cube said:
Has anyone seen any Sweden games thus far? If so, how is Edler doing?
edler plays for our kelowna rockets. when they played here for team sweden he wasn't playing well and was sat out for most of the game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad