Top-60 Pre-Merger Players Of All Time: Round 2, Vote 4

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Procedure
  • You will be presented with ~15 players based on their ranking in the Round 1 aggregate list
  • Players will be listed in alphabetical order to avoid creating bias
  • You will submit ten names in a ranked order, #1 through #10, without ties via PM to @seventieslord & @rmartin65
  • Use the same private message thread every week rather than starting a new PM
  • Results of this vote will be posted after each voting cycle, but the individual ballots themselves will remain secret until the completion of this project
  • The top-5 players will be added to The List (unless a very large break exists at the spot between 4&5 or 5&6, OR to correct for the previous week's irregular number of added players)
  • Lists of players eligible for voting will grow as the project continues

Eligible Voters

Guidelines
  • Respect each other. No horseplay or sophistry!
  • Stay on topic and don't get caught up in talking about non-eligible players
  • Participate, but retain an open mind throughout the discussion
  • Do not speculate who cast any particular ballot. Do not make judgments about the mindset of whoever cast that particular ballot. All individual ballots will be revealed at the end of the project.

House Rules
  • Any attempts to derail a discussion thread with disrespect to old-time hockey (or older-than-old-time hockey) will be met with frontier justice
  • We encourage interpositional discussion (forward vs. defenseman vs. goaltender) as opposed to the safer and somewhat redundant intrapositional debates
  • Take a drink when someone mentions the number of hockey registrations in a given era
  • Finish your drink when someone mentions that goaltenders cannot be compared to skaters

The actual voting period will open up on Friday, February 17th at midnight and continue through Sunday, February 19th at 8:59pm. Eastern time zone. I will release the results of the vote on Monday, February 20th.

Vote 2 Candidates
  • Art Ross
  • Babe Dye
  • Didier Pitre
  • Duke Keats
  • Frank Foyston
  • Frank McGee
  • George Hay
  • Hap Holmes
  • Harry Cameron
  • Harvey Pulford
  • Herb Gardiner
  • Lester Patrick
  • Mickey MacKay
  • Mike Grant
  • Moose Johnson

Seventies' VsX equivalents for current forwards:
player3y5y7y10y
Dye103978966
MacKay93888073
Keats
94​
90​
87​
81​
Foyston
89​
83​
76​
67​
Pitre
97​
87​
78​
70​
McGee
80​
58​
41​
29​
Hay
84​
79​
74​
67​

Hay lags behind the rest offensively, though he's not really all that far beind a guy like Foyston (and McGee is of course a special case). But there are a few who are really high on his defensive game - let's hear what they have to say.

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Wide open for me. I'm leaning towards Moose Johnson in first, but the case for McGee as the last remaining best-player-in-the-world is convincing.

Pulford and Grant for best 1890s player.

Patrick and Pitre and Foyston all stick out.

MacKay is a strong name. So are Dye and Keats.

A bit of discussion on Cameron last round. Would love to learn more.

This is the first vote where a top 2/3/4 doesn't immediately jump out.

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
For info on George Hay, here's the bio Sturminator and I did last year:

His defensive reputation is beyond doubt. It is all over the place in the documents, all the way throughout his career, including his pre-professional years.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Was really expecting to see Jack Walker up for voting - in this group he'd be a contender for my top-5.

I had Art Ross so low on my round 1 list, which in retrospect was an error.

Pulford's length of prime is insanely good for his era. rmartin65's season recaps paint his offensive game in a better light than I expected, though of course the numbers don't reflect it. I think he's comfortably ahead of Mike Grant.

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario
I have Mickey MacKay, Moose Johnson and Lester Patrick ahead of the pack here. But this is the point when it starts to get very difficult.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
So we have the ability to vote for best player in hockey history pre Bowie.

Is Pulford that player? I first lean towards McDougall, but Pulford's career length pre 1905 is a category of his own. I think the Pulford/Grant discussion is interesting. The Ultimate Hockey book is firmly on the Grant team.

Chronologically

?
?
?
Bowie
Taylor
Nighbor

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey

Is Pulford that player? I first lean towards McDougall, but Pulford's career length pre 1905 is a category of his own. I think the Pulford/Grant discussion is interesting. The Ultimate Hockey book is firmly on the Grant team.

Chronologically

?
?
?
Bowie
Taylor
Nighbor
I was hoping that MacDougall would come up in this round alongside Grant. It would have been a nice discussion to have had. Oh well. Maybe next time (which I definitely already think there should be).

Habsfan18

The Hockey Library
May 13, 2003
Ontario

Chronologically

?
?
?
Bowie
Taylor
Nighbor

I actually had Pulford ahead of Grant, by a single slot, on my initial ballot. McDougall was down about 20 slots lower. I’d like to read more about him over the next little while and will try to do so. Of course I’m open to anyone making a case for him.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
  • Art Ross
  • Babe Dye
  • Didier Pitre
  • Duke Keats
  • Frank Foyston
  • Frank McGee
  • George Hay
  • Hap Holmes
  • Harry Cameron
  • Harvey Pulford
  • Herb Gardiner
  • Lester Patrick
  • Mickey MacKay
  • Mike Grant
  • Moose Johnson
Quick hits-

I like adding Ross to the Patrick/Johnson/Pitre discussion (Ross started off as a rover with Montreal Westmount). Having done more research/reading, I think I've changed up the order from my preliminary list, but I'd love to hear more people's thoughts on how these four stack up. Patrick and Ross made the HoF before the others, for what it is worth, and Johnson made it quite a bit ahead of Pitre.

Pulford vs Grant is a fun one. I wish Young was in this debate too, but we'll have to set that aside for now. Grant definitely had a better start to his career- he hit the AHAC as pretty much a finished product, whereas Pulford took a bit to find his stride. Pulford, however, would then be the single most impressive example of a player improving over the course of his career during my readings of the Amateur Era, and he did it without losing the part of his game (physicality/defense) that made him a Senior level player in the first place. Even if his skating was never great, he still found a way to provide value offensively without sacrificing his defense. I definitely rated him too low in my primary list- I had the quote about him being "the worst skater in Senior hockey" (I can't remember the exact quote, but that was the gist) ringing in my head, and unfairly (IMO) punished him for it. Pulford was an impact player for a long time. Grant, on the other hand, may have burned brighter earlier, but he also burned out. His last couple of years were not great, and even at the height of his abilities, there is a disconnect for me between what I read in the primary sources and what I have read from secondary sources. Both players, it should be noted, had the advantage of strong teammates. Grant was probably more of a star than Pulford, but Pulford's longevity is really impressive. Like I said, this is a fun one.

McGee is an easy vote for me, probably the most dynamic player I've read about over the AHAC/CAHL/ECAHA years. A short career made shorter by missing time hurts his case, so I definitely get why he may not have everyone's support at this point, but I can't get over just how much he impacted the game when he played. And he was remembered well by his contemporaries. Honestly, if I'm selecting a team from among players from 1887-1908 to win a game, my first pick is almost certainly McGee.

Keats vs Foyston vs Hay- someone help me here. I'll admit that Hay was one of those guys I kind of overlooked/undervalued until I read @BenchBrawl and @Sturminator's bio last year. Now I'm still struggling with where he belongs.

Holmes is kind of in no man's land without another goalie to compare him to. His record of winning is really impressive to me, but, I don't know, I'm underwhelmed by contemporary reviews.

I'm still struggling with Cameron. And Dye, actually. These two (and Holmes, actually) were voted into the HoF quite a bit after their careers ended, which gives me some pause.

That leaves Gardner- I'm going to level, I could use help here, too.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011

Chronologically

?
?
?
Bowie
Taylor
Nighbor
Mmm. We are going to get a little bit off track here (talking about ineligible players for this round), but I think you have to have Campbell as the first star. The 1890s get a little murky, though, due to short careers and limited coverage. I think Weldy Young was every bit as good as Grant and Pulford. Grant, however, won Cups on a stacked Victorias team (though he was by no means a passenger, he deserves full credit there), while Pulford had a freakishly long career for the time and had the fortune of playing the back half of his career on stacked teams (though, again, he wasn't carried to Championships).

I had Grant ahead of Pulford on my primary list (and by not a small amount), but as I previously mentioned, I think that I was unduly harsh on Pulford for some of his playing limitations. I still think Grant at his best was probably better than Pulford at his best, but Pulford's career as an impact player was just so much longer. It's almost like Bowie vs McGee in reverse, haha (the same two teams even!).

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Mmm. We are going to get a little bit off track here (talking about ineligible players for this round), but I think you have to have Campbell as the first star. The 1890s get a little murky, though, due to short careers and limited coverage. I think Weldy Young was every bit as good as Grant and Pulford. Grant, however, won Cups on a stacked Victorias team (though he was by no means a passenger, he deserves full credit there), while Pulford had a freakishly long career for the time and had the fortune of playing the back half of his career on stacked teams (though, again, he wasn't carried to Championships).

I had Grant ahead of Pulford on my primary list (and by not a small amount), but as I previously mentioned, I think that I was unduly harsh on Pulford for some of his playing limitations. I still think Grant at his best was probably better than Pulford at his best, but Pulford's career as an impact player was just so much longer. It's almost like Bowie vs McGee in reverse, haha (the same two teams even!).
Pulford's longevity won me over on my initial ballot, but I didn't have them far apart. I literally had only one guy between them. To me, they belong very close to each other, and at the moment, I have them back to back. I can easily see myself flip-flopping on their order, and I have a hard time imagining either of them falling out of my top five for this round.

Reactions: rmartin65

BenchBrawl

Jul 26, 2010
Mmm. We are going to get a little bit off track here (talking about ineligible players for this round), but I think you have to have Campbell as the first star. The 1890s get a little murky, though, due to short careers and limited coverage. I think Weldy Young was every bit as good as Grant and Pulford.

Indeed.

Reactions: rmartin65

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Pulford's longevity won me over on my initial ballot, but I didn't have them far apart. I literally had only one guy between them. To me, they belong very close to each other, and at the moment, I have them back to back. I can easily see myself flip-flopping on their order, and I have a hard time imagining either of them falling out of my top five for this round.
Man, I thought I was going to be the biggest booster of the Amateur Era guys! I don't know if either make my top 5 here, but I'm always open to hearing why I should have them there. Right now I do have the same inclination as you, though, to rank them close together. I can't help but feel like that is taking the easy way out, though. I feel the same about my lumping Patrick and Johnson together and Keats and Foyston together, but that is probably a topic for another post.

At the very least, I do think McGee needs to go ahead of Pulford- short career or not, reading the game summaries leaves no doubt in my mind that McGee was the dominant, driving force behind those Silver Seven teams. Pulford was definitely a solid contributor, but I don't know if he really distinguished himself from (sorry for the ineligibles, @seventieslord !) Westwick or Alf. Smith. It's kind of like the 1920s Senators, right? Nighbor and McGee are the alpha dogs, while the rest of the team is filled with stars, but definitely a couple of tiers below. Grant, meanwhile, was probably the top star of his teams when they were winning (McDougall, despite his scoring, wasn't mentioned a whole bunch, and I'm still trying to find out if he was actually any more valuable than Shirley Davidson), which carries some weight with me.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Man, I thought I was going to be the biggest booster of the Amateur Era guys! I don't know if either make my top 5 here, but I'm always open to hearing why I should have them there. Right now I do have the same inclination as you, though, to rank them close together. I can't help but feel like that is taking the easy way out, though. I feel the same about my lumping Patrick and Johnson together and Keats and Foyston together, but that is probably a topic for another post.

At the very least, I do think McGee needs to go ahead of Pulford- short career or not, reading the game summaries leaves no doubt in my mind that McGee was the dominant, driving force behind those Silver Seven teams. Pulford was definitely a solid contributor, but I don't know if he really distinguished himself from (sorry for the ineligibles, @seventieslord !) Westwick or Alf. Smith. It's kind of like the 1920s Senators, right? Nighbor and McGee are the alpha dogs, while the rest of the team is filled with stars, but definitely a couple of tiers below. Grant, meanwhile, was probably the top star of his teams when they were winning (McDougall, despite his scoring, wasn't mentioned a whole bunch, and I'm still trying to find out if he was actually any more valuable than Shirley Davidson), which carries some weight with me.
I gave both Grant and Pulford a boost right at the end, and I'm not so sure I shouldn't have boosted them a bit more than I did. Both of those guys are guys that had enough of an impact that they've gotten some love in the ATD, which I don't think is an easy thing to do for guys from that era. The fact that I've been able to read up a bit more on them than some guys might be affecting me, but I really do think that they're strong candidates here.

Grant did a lot to pave the way for rushing defensemen. I mean it's small steps, but someone had to take those first few, and a guy like Grant did just that. I do agree with you that Grant peaked higher, but the longevity that Pulford had goes a long way to balancing that out for me.

Wherever they go, and whether they rate highly on our ballots this round or next, I'd dare say we're on the same team with the two of them. I'm not slamming the door on McGee, but I still need some more selling. He's closer to making my ballot now than he was last time around, but I'm just having a hard time getting past just four years. If it weren't for that, I'd be stumping for him too, and he would have fared much better on my initial ballot.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
None of them will go in this round, but I'm interested in the three wingers - Dye, Pitre, and Hay. I had them all within 8 spots of each other, in the mid 20s - early 30s of my list.

The ATD bio for Hay is wonderful and does a good job of mitigating his VsX equivalent scores. Those VsX scores are pretty much the reverse of how the three men were as overall players, right? Hay as a true all-around beast, Pitre as a versatile offensive threat (I know he also moonlighted as a defenseman in his last years, but from what I've gathered his results at the position were... mixed, at best), and Dye as a one-dimenstional lamplighter. Babe Dye became eligible during the 2nd vote, and has proceeded to earn a grand total of 3 voting 'points' since. Surely somebody can go to bat for him?

Didier Pitre is a very interesting player, and person. He clearly had the most star power of the three IMO, was always one of the highest paid players in the game, and even worked as a chauffeur at Montreal's city hall for a time during his playing days. The great Pitre paradox, for me, is that he had a longstanding reputation for being undisciplined off the ice, and seriously lacking when it came to training, yet was one of the fastest skaters in hockey during his prime. That, at least, is a big advantage he has over Dye, who was noted for being a poor skater. Pitre had more dimensions to his offensive game.

Two interesting tidbits I found a while back on Pitre's skating:

The Winnipeg Tribune - 17 January 1912 said:
Didier Pitre, of the Canadiens, is shod with one of the most expensive sets of skates in Canada. Pitre is one of the hardest men in the game on skates and has broken up two pairs this season. His old skates, the pair that he wore back in the days of the International League, alone stand the strain, but the edge has been turned up so many times that it is impossible to hold an edge on them now. Consequently a pair of exceedingly hard steel blades have been imported from Pittsburg for the Canadien hockey star.

The Winnipeg Tribune - 24 December 1922 said:
Of the hundreds of opponents he has met in his long career, Barney [Holden] has no doubt at all in his mind as to which was the fastest skater. The greatest speed merchant of them all, he declares, was Didier Pitre, the French-Canadian flash, who retired from the game only at the end of last season, when in the neighborhood of forty years of age.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
I gave both Grant and Pulford a boost right at the end, and I'm not so sure I shouldn't have boosted them a bit more than I did. Both of those guys are guys that had enough of an impact that they've gotten some love in the ATD, which I don't think is an easy thing to do for guys from that era. The fact that I've been able to read up a bit more on them than some guys might be affecting me, but I really do think that they're strong candidates here.
I definitely don't think they are weak candidates (like Dye was a couple rounds ago), but I can't say they are a top 5 lock for me at the moment. I hesitate to use ATD recognition as a barometer for any player in this project, however, as I think the ATD lends itself to a bit of group think- if a player gets accepted in a certain range, he'll keep going there unless leg work is put in to change popular opinion. They also benefit from having played on championship teams, so a lot (relative to their contemporaries) was written about them after their careers were over... even if they were perhaps not the true best of their time.

I just don't know. I think they are good candidates, but I go back and forth on how to rank them. Again, though, my one absolute certainty is that they rank behind McGee.

Grant did a lot to pave the way for rushing defensemen. I mean it's small steps, but someone had to take those first few, and a guy like Grant did just that. I do agree with you that Grant peaked higher, but the longevity that Pulford had goes a long way to balancing that out for me.
I know this is the popular idea, but defensemen (particularly cover points) were rushing the puck well before Grant made his Senior debut. To me, Jack Campbell is the guy who should be known as the father of rushing defensemen, and it may go back even earlier than that; I just haven't looked too hard yet. For reference, Campbell was so renowned for his rushes that when Shirley Davidson broke into the league, his rushes elicited a comparison to Campbell in one of the papers; Davidson was a forward, and here he was getting compared to a defender (and it was meant in a positive manner).

Wherever they go, and whether they rate highly on our ballots this round or next, I'd dare say we're on the same team with the two of them. I'm not slamming the door on McGee, but I still need some more selling. He's closer to making my ballot now than he was last time around, but I'm just having a hard time getting past just four years. If it weren't for that, I'd be stumping for him too, and he would have fared much better on my initial ballot.
Oh yeah, I think we are definitely on the same side- I'm picking nits here, mostly because I feel the most comfortable talking about the Amateur Era players.

On McGee- I'll try to put some more information together to sell you (and others) on him. But the down and dirty answer is going to be the same as what I wrote and what @Black Gold Extractor posted last week- he impacted games at a level that no other eligible player did, and more than many players we've already voted in did. He had a short career; that's literally the only knock on his career. And it wasn't short because he couldn't hack it, but because he had other priorities in life in an era where he wasn't getting paid to play. I have a hard time faulting a player for that.

None of them will go in this round, but I'm interested in the three wingers - Dye, Pitre, and Hay. I had them all within 8 spots of each other, in the mid 20s - early 30s of my list.
I think one might squeak in, but I wouldn't dare hazard a guess at who. As you alluded to later in your post, Dye has been eligible for a while; someone (or, more likely, several someones) was high on him to get him eligible, and I'd love to see the case for it.

Didier Pitre is a very interesting player, and person. He clearly had the most star power of the three IMO, was always one of the highest paid players in the game, and even worked as a chauffeur at Montreal's city hall for a time during his playing days. The great Pitre paradox, for me, is that he had a longstanding reputation for being undisciplined off the ice, and seriously lacking when it came to training, yet was one of the fastest skaters in hockey during his prime. That, at least, is a big advantage he has over Dye, who was noted for being a poor skater. Pitre had more dimensions to his offensive game.
My only quibble with Pitre's star power (which I agree that he had) is that it took him a while to get inducted into the HoF. Why? His living contemporaries start getting elected in 1947 (just from the eligible list, Patrick, Ross, Taylor), Johnson makes it in 1952, yet Pitre doesn't get in until 1963, ~35 years after his career ended. I know we can't try to get inside the minds of the committee, but it makes me a little uneasy that people who ostensibly saw his career didn't elect him until most of the other worthy guys of his time were already in. Was there a personality thing? A bias thing? No clue.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton
I mean the simple case is that he was better offensively and defensively, right?

Not that one can't make a case for Foyston but the two most basic factors seem to point to MacKay.

But if we're talking about the performance of the Mets and the Millionaires

Are we really going to say that the 3rd best Millionaire was better than the best Met?

Foyston was the guy on those Mets teams.

Mackay was unable to be that guy

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
Taking a closer look at Dye/Keats/MacKay

Keats
SeasonPoint RankPointsRatio to #2Notes
1915-16 (NHA)4290.85Cy Denney is virtually tied with Keats. Corb Denneny right there too
1916-17 (NHA)-18-Way back, but missed a third of the year. Likely finishes middle of the pack is playing. He then misses the following two seasons for the war
1919-20 (Big 4)1321.45
1920-21 (Big 4)1291.16
1921-22 (WCHL)1551.67Obliterates the scoring race. 2nd and 3rd are teammates. Edmonton are best team and by far the best offensive team
1922-232371.0Finishes behind teammate Gagne, but is tied in PPG and ahead in goals. Edmonton again is by far the best team.
1923-244310.92The loss of Gagne has a huge impact on Keats, but he still keeps up with everyone except Cook. Edmonton by far the worst team in the league. His teammates fall off far more from losing Gagne than he does
1924-253320.97Strong season, with Joe Simpson rebounding. Edmonton is a middling team.
1925-266290.81Gagne is back with the Eskimos and outscores Keats by a few.
1926-27 (NHL)12230.64
1927-2810240.62Looks a lot stronger in Chicago, being the best player there

A decent defensive player, with a very strong three year offensive peak. He doesn't come close to the defensive reputation of Hayes.

Dye
1920-213400.98Leads league in goals
1921-223380.95Leads league in goals, but defenseman teammate Cameron is right with him in points. 4 Toronto players in 3-7 spots in points.
1922-231391.18Leads in goals. Jack Adams likely aids big time on his offense
1923-246210.91Second in goals, virtually tied for first in PPG
1924-251461.10First in goals and points. No Toronto player is close except for Adams
1925-2610240.67Misses a few games and is outscored by teammate Adams
1926-275300.83Stands alone in Chicago, 2nd in PPG.

Really impressive offensive stretch with an even more impressive goal scoring pedigree. Doesn't get a ton of help from teammates, though I will note Adams reads very well in the contemporary reports. Of note, he is the weakest defensive player eligible. How much do we weight his 1922 Stanley Cup win, where he was easily the best player on Toronto?

MacKay
1914-15 (PCHA)2441.0Played with our #1 and #2 players Taylor and Nighbor. Is he a top 5 Millionaire this year including Lehman, Griffis, Patrick, Cook?
1915-1610190.59Way behind teammate Taylor, barely ahead of teammate defenseman Cook
1916-176330.62Outplayed by teammates Taylor and Roberts
1917-186180.53Played with peak Taylor
1918-195180.62Played with peak Taylor
1919-20 (Big Four)?100.45
1920-2110180.56Outplayed by many Vancouver teammates
1921-222261.0Outplayed by teammate Jack Adams
1922-232401.0Way ahead of anyone besides Fredrickson. By Maroon
1923-243250.93Outplayed by teammate Duncan
1924-25 (WHL)1331.0Best player on his team. Leads league in goals
1926-2716220.61Like 5th best player on Chicago
1927-2814210.54

Between being number 2 to Taylor and then Boucher, his point totals don't look as strong as at first glance. Including Foyston, he's the only one of these 4 star forwards to never regularly be the best player on his team.

Am I wrong in seeing MacKay the worst of these 3 players?

Dye's offense is really eye-popping. But the defensive weakness sticks out.

Keats/Dye>MacKay jumps out to me. Foyston is hard to rank, but I likely stick him in front of MacKay too.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey

Keats
1915-16 (NHA)4290.85Cy Denney is virtually tied with Keats. Corb Denneny right there too
1916-17 (NHA)-18-Way back, but missed a third of the year. Likely finishes middle of the pack is playing. He then misses the following two seasons for the war
1919-20 (Big 4)1321.45
1920-21 (Big 4)1291.16
1921-22 (WCHL)1551.67Obliterates the scoring race. 2nd and 3rd are teammates. Edmonton are best team and by far the best offensive team
1922-232371.0Finishes behind teammate Gagne, but is tied in PPG and ahead in goals. Edmonton again is by far the best team.
1923-244310.92The loss of Gagne has a huge impact on Keats, but he still keeps up with everyone except Cook. Edmonton by far the worst team in the league. His teammates fall off far more from losing Gagne than he does
1924-253320.97Strong season, with Joe Simpson rebounding. Edmonton is a middling team.
1926-27 (NHL)12230.64

A decent defensive player, with a very strong three year offensive peak. He doesn't come close to the defensive reputation of Hayes.

Dye
1921-223380.95Leads league in goals, but defenseman teammate Cameron is right with him in points. 4 Toronto players in 3-7 spots in points.
1924-251461.10First in goals and points. No Toronto player is close except for Adams

Really impressive offensive stretch with an even more impressive goal scoring pedigree. Doesn't get a ton of help from teammates, though I will note Adams reads very well in the contemporary reports. Of note, he is the weakest defensive player eligible. How much do we weight his 1922 Stanley Cup win, where he was easily the best player on Toronto?

MacKay
1914-15 (PCHA)2441.0Played with our #1 and #2 players Taylor and Nighbor. Is he a top 5 Millionaire this year including Lehman, Griffis, Patrick, Cook?
1915-1610190.59Way behind teammate Taylor, barely ahead of teammate defenseman Cook
1927-2814210.54

Between being number 2 to Taylor and then Boucher, his point totals don't look as strong as at first glance. Including Foyston, he's the only one of these 4 star forwards to never regularly be the best player on his team.

Keats/Dye>MacKay jumps out to me. Foyston is hard to rank, but I likely stick him in front of MacKay too.
Well, you definitely talked down MacKay in my eyes.

ResilientBeast

Proud Member of the TTSAOA
Jul 1, 2012
Edmonton

Keats
1919-20 (Big 4)1321.45
1920-21 (Big 4)1291.16
1926-27 (NHL)12230.64

Dye

MacKay
1927-2814210.54

To your comment about 1914-15, he's definitely top4. Most of his acclaim seems to come on the back of that one tremendous season. Which he never manages to follow up

jigglysquishy

Jun 20, 2011
Regina, Saskatchewan
To your comment about 1914-15, he's definitely top4. Most of his acclaim seems to come on the back of that one tremendous season. Which he never manages to follow up

The 15 team is stacked so it's hard for me to gauge. That's what, 7 players who will be eligible for this project at some point?

You're our PCHA expert so I'm curious where you sit on it.

But looking at the season by season, MacKay doesn't stand out the way I thought he would.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad