Value of: TOP 6 Forward to Calgary!

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
Calgary can't take on Pasta, it's a pipe dream.
Has anyone looked at capfriendly for next year?
All that cap that is getting freed up is already spent.

And if they could afford him they would easily trade away Dube and Kylington, bunch of crazy talk.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Nahh Anderson fits the core for the rebuild.
It would have to be a over payment
Coronaro + 2rd 2023

Slafkovski - Dach (or dare I say Pierre-Luc Dubois) - Anderson

is f***ing sexy, but I'd try to go down on the average age I think

Best players on the Habs are 25 or less, that's what I'd aim for

Ledge And Dairy

Calgary can't take on Pasta, it's a pipe dream.
Has anyone looked at capfriendly for next year?
All that cap that is getting freed up is already spent.

And if they could afford him they would easily trade away Dube and Kylington, bunch of crazy talk.
It's called a rental and that's not a pipe dream at all. If Calgary thinks Pasta can win them the cup they go for it. Same way Pittsburgh only went for 1 year of Hossa. Ultimately they lost in the finals that year but that's semantics. Hey I'll take a finals loss over a 2nd round exit all day long though, at least we prove something there.

Speaking of Hossa, that's probably a pretty good trade comparison for Pasta, mind you the picks and players really didn't end up working out for Atlanta but at the time they were viewed pretty highly

Nahh Anderson fits the core for the rebuild.
It would have to be a over payment
Coronaro + 2rd 2023
"Toffoli for Pelletier++ or no deal"
now this? Habs fans really overvalue their middle aging wingers

Larry Hanson

Aug 1, 2020
It's called a rental and that's not a pipe dream at all. If Calgary thinks Pasta can win them the cup they go for it. Same way Pittsburgh only went for 1 year of Hossa. Ultimately they lost in the finals that year but that's semantics. Hey I'll take a finals loss over a 2nd round exit all day long though, at least we prove something there.
The first mention of Pasta in this thread was suggesting 10M x 8yrs, that's what I was talking about.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
I wonder what Sutter would do with Milano.

And no I'm not just assuming it would be an ass-kicking. Sutter has done well with flawed talents before.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If Weegar were to sign an extension in Calgary...

Nylander
Holl
Sandin

for

Andersson
Valimaki
Dube

I'm just spitballing here.

Probably helps Toronto's D but makes the offensive depth up front questionable.

CraigsList

RIP #13
Apr 22, 2014
USA
They would never include either Dube or Kylington.

A package would look like;

Mangiapane or Hanifin + Coronato/Zary + 24/25’ 1st or Florida 25 1st (whichever pick is left by Montreal)

This is the package David Pastrnak will cost.

Yes he is absolutely worth Mangiapane plus a couple 1st round low end prospects.

The flames will not trade Kylington as he has Top2 potential and Tanev will push him there.

Would give the Flames a solid team capable of contending.

We do not need to add another overpaid player when the difference between Pelletier and Rodrigues type player is going to be 5 or less goals over an 82 game schedule.

The reason the flames salary cap does not work is they have almost no balance including entry level type contracts or league minimum vets.
I would do Hanifin + 2023 1st + Zary for Pastrnak. Would even add in Valimaki and grab Forbort/Reilly 50% to fit him in.

If Weegar were to sign an extension in Calgary...

Nylander
Holl
Sandin

for

Andersson
Valimaki
Dube

I'm just spitballing here.

Probably helps Toronto's D but makes the offensive depth up front questionable.
We’re not moving Andersson. If anyone was moved it would likely be Hanifin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would do Hanifin + 2023 1st + Zary for Pastrnak. Would even add in Valimaki and grab Forbort/Reilly 50% to fit him in.

Leafs likely don't see any value in Hanifin, wrong handedness :)

Tanev a little too old for Nylander to be the piece in talks there.

Weegar, if an extension was in place prior to the trade maybe.

Andersson would probably need to be the piece. I figured Calgary had an abundance at RD and could parlay but understand the stance on not wanting to move Andersson.

Cheers

Tufted Titmouse

13 Cups.
Apr 5, 2022
Leafs likely don't see any value in Hanifin, wrong handedness :)

Tanev a little too old for Nylander to be the piece in talks there.

Weegar, if an extension was in place prior to the trade maybe.

Andersson would probably need to be the piece. I figured Calgary had an abundance at RD and could parlay but understand the stance on not wanting to move Andersson.

Cheers

I would 100% be in on Tavev, even if he's old and a little injured. He was very good last year. Seems like a prime Sutter player, can't see them letting him go.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
I would 100% be in on Tavev, even if he's old and a little injured. He was very good last year. Seems like a prime Sutter player, can't see them letting him go.
I'd love to add Tanev but since Calgary made some great additions in Kadri, Huberdeau, Weegar etc, they're likely keeping him for their own playoff stuff.

He would be more like a buying move for futures if they were not projected to make the playoffs but that's a few months off before we go down that rabbit hole.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't get why everyone thinks we need to rush anything. Happy with Ruzicka or Pelletier on the 3rd

Rubi

Photographer
Sponsor
Jan 9, 2009
I don't get why everyone thinks we need to rush anything. Happy with Ruzicka or Pelletier on the 3rd
The important question is, is Sutter happy? We all know how Sutter loves his veterans and is, dare I say it, overly hard on his younger players.
Ruzicka kept getting scratched for the likes of Richardson on the 4th line last year. Now he has a decent chance to play on the 3rd? I doubt it. And Pelletier hasn't played a single game in tye NHL and he's one of the few good players that is waiver exempt. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him playing in the AHL this year.... unless he absolutely dominates in pre-season.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
The important question is, is Sutter happy? We all know how Sutter loves his veterans and is, dare I say it, overly hard on his younger players.
Ruzicka kept getting scratched for the likes of Richardson on the 4th line last year. Now he has a decent chance to play on the 3rd? I doubt it. And Pelletier hasn't played a single game in tye NHL and he's one of the few good players that is waiver exempt. Wouldn't surprise me in the least to see him playing in the AHL this year.... unless he absolutely dominates in pre-season.

All the more reason to not give him the option. He's not the GM. Prime opportunity to let Backlund bring up another young player successfully. Hell, if they would have kept Bennett on Backlunds wing for another year his whole career may have been different.

blankall

Jul 4, 2007
Ruzicka actually seems like the kind of player who would succeed with Huberdeau. He's a huge body with a great release and a knack of going to the net.

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
Ruzicka actually seems like the kind of player who would succeed with Huberdeau. He's a huge body with a great release and a knack of going to the net.

Sutter has been critical of him in the past for trying to get an everyday NHLer out of Adam. Like, taking no days off kind of thing. Don't think he'd reward him with a top line spot to be honest with you.

I feel the same for Pelletier. I know people are pretty excited for him, but there's no guarantee he's ready for top 9 minutes in the NHL today. Like if he gave Leivo level production, is that someone you'd actually want in the top 9 in a year you're clearly pushing the chips all in?

I do think Calgary will make a trade with someone like Valimaki on the way out.

Ledge And Dairy

I don't see either of Hanifin or Andersson being at all available. I also can't imagine Boston has much interest in Hanifin now with H. Lindholm locked up. If they are selling Pasta they are going for a rebuild/retool around McAvoy so they would probably want players with much more control than 1 year of NH

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I don't see either of Hanifin or Andersson being at all available. I also can't imagine Boston has much interest in Hanifin now with H. Lindholm locked up. If they are selling Pasta they are going for a rebuild/retool around McAvoy so they would probably want players with much more control than 1 year of NH

Team with McAvoy, Hanifin, and Lindholm is going to have a tough time rebuilding.

I don't get why they'd trade Pasta.

Ledge And Dairy

Team with McAvoy, Hanifin, and Lindholm is going to have a tough time rebuilding.

I don't get why they'd trade Pasta.
They have Grzelcyk already so again they don't have a spot for Hanifin in their top 4. A year ago sure, Hanifin made a lot of sense for them to target but not after the Lindholm trade.

Also I very clearly said I doubt they would want Hanifin so I don't really get why you are including him on their rebuilding roster.

They would trade Pasta because they are out of the playoffs and he's not re-signing. Pretty unlikely otherwise

Right Wing

Oct 3, 2020
Agree. Enough of the more trades talk. Go with what you got, give the kids a chance. See what happens and make changes or trades after Christmas.

Bounces R Way

Nov 18, 2013
Weegartown
Sutter has been critical of him in the past for trying to get an everyday NHLer out of Adam. Like, taking no days off kind of thing. Don't think he'd reward him with a top line spot to be honest with you.

I feel the same for Pelletier. I know people are pretty excited for him, but there's no guarantee he's ready for top 9 minutes in the NHL today. Like if he gave Leivo level production, is that someone you'd actually want in the top 9 in a year you're clearly pushing the chips all in?

I do think Calgary will make a trade with someone like Valimaki on the way out.

There's no guarantees of anything in this league. Nordstrom, Ritchie, Pitlick, Simon, Jarnkrok, Neal, Brouwer and many many others were "established NHLers" and were complete dogshit for the Flames.

+more expensive
+harder to bury
+less invested in the team
+had established limited upside
+totally unfamiliar with teammates

I have no idea when or why this organization got so addicted to acquiring declining or plateaued plugs. The day they wake up and realize that their strength is their drafting they might actually step in to being a quality franchise.

Reactions: Ledge And Dairy

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Josh Anderson
2024 2nd

2023 1st
2024 3rd
Milan Lucic

Why Calgary do it: a Josh Anderson and what could be a high second is a great price to get for what could be a low 1st. Josh Anderson is a monster and he would kick ass.

Why Habs do it: We tank, we get an additionnal lottery ticket for this year, we get out of a long term contract and Lucic in Montreal would be f***ing hilarious

Volica

Papa Shango
May 15, 2012
There's no guarantees of anything in this league. Nordstrom, Ritchie, Pitlick, Simon, Jarnkrok, Neal, Brouwer and many many others were "established NHLers" and were complete dogshit for the Flames.

+more expensive
+harder to bury
+less invested in the team
+had established limited upside
+totally unfamiliar with teammates

I have no idea when or why this organization got so addicted to acquiring declining or plateaued plugs. The day they wake up and realize that their strength is their drafting they might actually step in to being a quality franchise.

I mean, the key is to have both. You can’t say guys like Coleman, Tanev, Zad, Guddy or even Markstrom haven’t been or weren’t important parts to this team last year.

You can’t just throw rookies into a team regardless of what fans want/think. As I keep pointing out, last year in the AHL playoffs this Flames AHL squad got run over (what would have been worse sans Wolf), by Josh Leivo, Stefan Noesen and Richard Panik; and the star for the baby Flames was Justin Kirkland, not Pelletier or Phillips who I see most people want on the big roster.

You’re fine signing the Nordstroms, Simons, Ritchies of the world because their contracts are ones you could dump in the AHL if their roster spot gets beat out by one of these rookies at camp or during the season if their play dips too badly.

Dunno. Flames seem to do a great job graduating kids yearly. Since BT took over the GM position, from 2015-2017 they graduated generally 3 guys who are contributor (2017 only two), 2018 they had no real picks, 2019 looks like there’s a couple guys well on their way, 2020 looks like it might have another 3 guys with some big time upside, 2021 the same thing. This team isn’t a slouch at bringing guys up.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad