Top 5 Leafs trades since 2000

WeWantACup

Oct 15, 2011
Toronto
www.wewantacup.com
Mat Mastro
27/02/2014
The trade deadline can make or break a team’s playoff hopes. It can give the extra piece needed to a cup contender or can help a rebuilding team unload for a higher pick. With the trade deadline, days away ill be looking at the best trades the Leafs have made since 2000. Some seemed minor at the time, others changed the face of a franchise.

http://www.wewantacup.com/headlines/2242-top-5-leafs-trades-since-2000

buds%20vs%20oilers%20kessel.jpg

hoglund

Dec 8, 2013
Canada
the top would be JVR for Luke Schenn. Kessel for ?? can's quite remember because he's not even in the top 50.

Prominence

Ryan Tverberg Fan
Jul 22, 2011
Vancouver
I thought 5 and 3 should be switched. Kessel trade was good, but I think JVR for schenn gave more value to the leafs.

Quares27

Apr 3, 2013
If I were to make a top 5 (didnt see the list yet) in no order

JVR for Schenn
Bernier trade
Phaneuf trade
Mccabe for Karpovtsev
Tucker and Wellwood for Johnson

http://www.nhltradetracker.com/user/trade_list_by_team/Toronto_Maple_Leafs/3

This is a pretty good website. It's interesting to see how trades turn out and really shows how much of a crapshoot the draft is. The majority of the time when you make a trade like *insert useful player here* for a mid round pick you're basically getting the player for free because the chance of getting an NHLer with that draft pick is so tiny, and yet you'll see so many people advocating to trade guys like Raymond and weaken the team for these picks at the deadline.

During that period where we traded for guys like Leetch, Housley, Gilmour, Wesley and Francis we pretty much got all of them for free. None of them even stayed more than a year but we gave up nothing of value to add a bunch of legendary veterans for the playoffs

indigobuffalo

Portage and Main
Feb 10, 2011
Winnipeg MB

LMAO at June 22, 2002 where the Leafs traded the draft pick that was used to select Matthew Lombardi, who then came back to us, WITH Cody Franson, for Brett friggen Lebda, who we then later traded for PHX 4th 2014.

The hilarity of this trade is dampened by the fact that Todd Ford never amounted to anything. But still, that's pretty solid asset management of Lombardi.

Apparently Brett Lebda = Cody Franson + 4th

ROFLMAO

Stu

Nov 20, 2008
Raleigh, NC
"3 of the 4 players the Leafs gave up are not in the NHL anymore as Stajan is still currently playing in Calgary"

LOL.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
top 5 trades

jvr for schenn
bernier for frattin, scrivens, 2nd, and some salary
phaneuf + for ian white and scraps
lupul + gardiner for beauchemin (even though beauchemin is useful player too)

5th one is getting tough. imo the bolland trade might look good come playoff time, same with the gleason trade.

Grant

LL Genius
Jan 16, 2012
London
My top 5 in order:
1. Phaneuf (got a great defensemen while giving up players of little importance)
2. JVR (huge value discrepancy of the players, just a short while after the trade)
3. Tucker (was the heart of our team for years)
4. McCabe (won't see a defensemen put that many points up again for us for a very long time, if ever)
5. Kessel (tremendously gifted offensive player)

Honourable Mentions (trades that I feel didn't make the cut or are too recent to fully evaluate properly) to:
- the trade where we got Giguere by shipping out toskala and blake
- the gleason trade because we changed 4m cap hit dead weight into something useful
- the bernier trade because it appears he will be our starting goalie for years to come

Last edited:

FrozenJagrt

Dec 16, 2009
Number one has to be the trade that saw Kolzig become a Leaf just before he retired.

gabeliscious

Jan 8, 2009
Read through the list, I agree with it.

Still thinking back, don't know how they pulled off the Phaneuf trade lol.

as good as the phaneuf trade was burke got jvr for schenn. a 23 year old jvr signed at $4.25 million for basically his prime. not only is the player a steal but the contract as well. phaneuf, while a steal value wise was considered overpaid at the time. i think he has grown into the contract over the duration but jvr at $4.25 is highway robbery.

Longshot

Jul 2, 2008
Ontario, Canada
It won't get a lot of mentions but way back when trading Felix Potvin for Bryan Berard was a brilliant move. Berard was on the way to becoming a very good d-man when he suffered that eye injury.

bigdirty

Mar 11, 2010
Only thing that seems kinda odd is the Lupul/Gardiner trade.

I agree it was a fantastic trade for us, but Gardiner definitely wasn't a 'throw in' to that trade. At the time he was a high end prospect that Anaheim felt they could move because they still thought they had Justin Schultz. And it's hard to say he's a future all-star and key part of the Leafs future when he always seems to be struggling to progress and is constantly the subject of trade rumours.

If anything, that trade was more like Beauchemin for Gardiner, with the Leafs taking Lupul's contract off Anaheim's hands. Or at least that's how Anaheim saw it at the time.

Predaleafs

Oct 7, 2009
Toronto
Only thing that seems kinda odd is the Lupul/Gardiner trade.

I agree it was a fantastic trade for us, but Gardiner definitely wasn't a 'throw in' to that trade. At the time he was a high end prospect that Anaheim felt they could move because they still thought they had Justin Schultz. And it's hard to say he's a future all-star and key part of the Leafs future when he always seems to be struggling to progress and is constantly the subject of trade rumours.

If anything, that trade was more like Beauchemin for Gardiner, with the Leafs taking Lupul's contract off Anaheim's hands. Or at least that's how Anaheim saw it at the time.

It was stated at the time, the Leafs wanted Schultz but settled for Gardiner

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad