Proposal: Top 4 defenceman to Utah

miscs75

Jul 2, 2014
Would an AHL top 4 defenseman count? If so, Sebastian Aho is the perfect man for the job. When he’s not having his identity stolen by that soft Finn from Carolina, he’s busy playing defense.

CanMerc

#FIRECHEVY
Dec 7, 2023
Is Pionk the fall guy in Winnipeg?
Not to me… for me it all lands at Chevys feet. He has done nothing to address the needs of this team in years… Acquiring Monahan is a perfect example… Jets need a true 2C and top 4 RHD, but Chevy wastes a 1st on a 3rd liner who disappears in the playoffs.

As for Pionk, he just falls in the trade for space to upgrade catagory

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
I would probably do this but why isn't Soderstrom in the NHL?
He’s stalled. Not seizing his opportunities. Apparently he had a great year in Tucson. So still some hope. But it’s waning.

Not to me… for me it all lands at Chevys feet. He has done nothing to address the needs of this team in years… Acquiring Monahan is a perfect example… Jets need a true 2C and top 4 RHD, but Chevy wastes a 1st on a 3rd liner who disappears in the playoffs.

As for Pionk, he just falls in the trade for space to upgrade catagory
So what’s the price tag?

Reactions: Flan the incredible

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
With the sort of cap space that Utah has, importing the notoriously-effective Skjei-Pesce pairing and making them the veteran leaders for the new era makes all the sense in the world. It would require overpays, yes, but those are the kind of guys who would be worth it in that context. Maybe do a sign-and-trade to fully secure the Canes nucleus and to get the 8th year on Skjei, which would lower his cap hit to somewhere closer to 6M than 7M.

Link to my example (which also includes Teravainen and Lindholm): Utah Goes Man City On the Roster - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

TheReelChuckFletcher

Former TheRillestPaulFenton; Harverd Alum
Jun 30, 2011
Raleigh and Chapel Hill, NC
GM Bill Armstrong was pretty unequivocal in a recent radio hit that he has no interest in giving long-term deals to these types. Skjei is a great D, but he's 30 and going to be looking for term. That has mistaken written all over it.

Armstrong is used to penny-pinching because of the Meruelo nonsense. That will change with new, wealthy ownership. Those contracts do tend to age poorly, of course, but the reason why UFA can still be a good tool is because they can really boost a club for at least half the contract. Skjei and Pesce would be great fits with Utah's current mass of cap space. All of those young guys would be much better off with some long-term veterans to transition them to the NHL. Nearly every successful group has several of these kinds of guys.

Alluckks

Gabriel Perreault Fan Account
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2011
Ryan Lindgren, LD, 26 years old, likely available this offseason

Reactions: Mosby

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
The Utah Whatevers need to add a Top 4 D, similar to what the club did last summer in moving a second rounder for Sean Durzi.

Ideal add is 27 or younger and is on a short-term deal who can fill a role until guys like Simashev and Lamoureux are ready. Open to either a LD or RD.

Expectation is Utah is willing to package picks in order to accomplish this, outside of the 1st round. Second-tier prospects like Soderstrom, Jenik, Raty are likely available as well.

So who is a good fit?
Harris in Montreal?

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
Armstrong is used to penny-pinching because of the Meruelo nonsense. That will change with new, wealthy ownership. Those contracts do tend to age poorly, of course, but the reason why UFA can still be a good tool is because they can really boost a club for at least half the contract. Skjei and Pesce would be great fits with Utah's current mass of cap space. All of those young guys would be much better off with some long-term veterans to transition them to the NHL. Nearly every successful group has several of these kinds of guys.

Just as recently as this week Bill Armstrong was on a Salt Lake radio show and talked about how in free agency it's a bad idea to give 7-year deals to 29-year-old players. He hinted at those types of contracts getting in the way when you're trying to re-sign the young stars of today.

Very much agree with you that Skjei and Pesce would both be great additions, but if they want major term it won't be happening in Utah.

Right now Utah is very fortunate in that they are one of few teams without any dumb contracts. Hopefully they keep it that way.

Ryan Lindgren, LD, 26 years old, likely available this offseason

This and Ferarro in SJ are my two favourite suggestions so far. Potentially one of the Vegas D too.

Castle8130

May 9, 2017
Arizona has way too much draft capital for an already stocked pipeline. I'd be very open to trading some of those 2nd round pick they acquired for some roster talent

Reactions: Schemp and Mosby

frisland

Apr 9, 2003
What's Ryan Lindgren's next contract look like (RFA)? if its under $5M for 4-5 years, NYR probably keeps him. If its over $5M for any length I'd deal him for 2 2nds.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
With the sort of cap space that Utah has, importing the notoriously-effective Skjei-Pesce pairing and making them the veteran leaders for the new era makes all the sense in the world. It would require overpays, yes, but those are the kind of guys who would be worth it in that context. Maybe do a sign-and-trade to fully secure the Canes nucleus and to get the 8th year on Skjei, which would lower his cap hit to somewhere closer to 6M than 7M.

Link to my example (which also includes Teravainen and Lindholm): Utah Goes Man City On the Roster - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
I really like this idea.

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
MIke Matheson fits your description and is on a sweetheart contract for only two more years. Would probably be more costly than you wish to pay for though.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
8 years for Lindholm is crazy talk. Great player but he turns 30 next year.

I wouldn't trade picks for UFA rights either. If you're going to trade picks, at least get players a little younger like they did with Sean Durzi.
The person I responded to proposed Skjei-Pesce, not Lindholm.

And I don't think you'd have to trade for their rights...I'd just give them each a solid 7-year offer. I can totally see that happening, and totally see it working well.

Extra Texture

A new career
Mar 21, 2008
in a new town
You want to generate buzz for hockey in a new town, on a team that has offensive talent but still has low expectations? There is this man called Erik, S(s)on of Karl, with a flow as powerful as the Colorado River, and the kind of skills that will get those Beehive state butts out of seats, picking their jaws off the floor.

Mosby

Salt Lake Bound
Feb 16, 2012
Toronto
The person I responded to proposed Skjei-Pesce, not Lindholm.

And I don't think you'd have to trade for their rights...I'd just give them each a solid 7-year offer. I can totally see that happening, and totally see it working well.

Ahh. I was looking at the linked CapFriendly that had Utah bringing in Skjei, Pesce, Tevo, and Lindholm. 7 years is way too much term regardless.

For reference, Bill Armstrong said this 3 days ago:

"You have to be smart with the free agents. Sometimes teams get carried away with it and it leads to a path to nowhere. Loading up your team with free agents doesn't normally solve the problem because what happens for our group is then these guys are mostly 29 to 30 years old, they're going to want seven-year deals. When we get into that window of being good, their contracts are going to stop us from taking the next step."

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad