Proposal: Top 4 defenceman to Utah

Schemp

Nov 12, 2018
Forum 40
I’d offer the two 2nds we got from Ottawa.
I'd throw in Kesselring also. The ask from the Sens would be Maverick.
Its still super weird to see Utah, sure takes time to get used to that.

---

do they need though? should they be too hasty and not let their actual top 4 develop more?

Durzi, 25 (6 foot 0 / 195 lbs)
Kesselring, 24 (6 foot 5 / 222 lbs)
Moser, 23 (6 foot 1 / 190 lbs)
Välimäki, 25 (6 foot 2 / 215 lbs)

avg age : 24.2

that 4 doesn't sound/look much for an average NHL fan, but i don't see anything wrong with that for them, for their inaugural season
3 x two-way d-men and 1 offensive mind d-man, 2 x RD, 2 X LD, looks good to me, all 4 skates really well and are good passers
When your team doesn't have equivalent to a top pair, then you need the equivalent of 3 middle pairs. The team can easily afford to bring in 3 extra mid pairers.
They might as well sign a guy like Skjei to a long term deal, maybe two guys.

"Short term until Simashev and Lamoreux are ready for top pair minutes" could be five years away.
When the team needs to bring in blueliners, it would be wise to look for a trade or 2 before free agency (and the bidding war) to start. I can see Utah wanting 8 D on the roster. I could see overpaying Skjei on a shorter term deal, but they would be wise to explore getting Chychrun back and some other players at the draft.

lanky

Feeling Spicy
Jun 23, 2007
Winnipeg
Kesselring should be in the AHL. He’s a big, right shot defenseman who can skate, so people fall in love with him. But man is he horrendous. Turnover machine, and is constantly out of position.

Valimaki should just be let go. Not a fan of his either.
These guys make mistakes. Those mistakes can stick out in our viewing experience and trigger a reaction. We can form flimsy opinions on these reactions.
If you look at +/- results for the Coyotes D, Valimaki and Kesselring are among the best. Stecher too. Dermott and Dumba have the worst +/- results for the season. This stat isn't perfect, it doesn't account for usage and I think that's why Moser and Durzi are slightly negative despite being our best D pair.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
More experienced
McNabb or Hague from Vegas if they need cap space

I keep thinking that Utah/Vegas are natural trade partners. Vegas likely needs to free up cap space (and a roster spot for Kaedan Korczak). Utah has a bunch of picks. Vegas ownership probably wouldn't mind recouping a couple 2024 picks as the draft host.

If Utah isn't on McNabb's partial no trade, he'd give them some size/physical play while filling a spot on the PK. Coyotes were 25th on the PK this season and they dealt away a couple of the guys they used on the PK (Dumba/Stecher). McNabb is signed for just one season, so he could serve as a bridge to when Dmitri Simashev signs. If Utah were a seller at the next deadline, they might be able to trade McNabb and replace the picks that they gave up in the first place.

Reactions: Dog

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Ryan Graves is your man! We'd take a 3rd/4th or a trade for nearly any roster player.

Dog

Arf! Arf! Arf!
Feb 9, 2016
Wasteland
I keep thinking that Utah/Vegas are natural trade partners. Vegas likely needs to free up cap space (and a roster spot for Kaedan Korczak). Utah has a bunch of picks. Vegas ownership probably wouldn't mind recouping a couple 2024 picks as the draft host.

If Utah isn't on McNabb's partial no trade, he'd give them some size/physical play while filling a spot on the PK. Coyotes were 25th on the PK this season and they dealt away a couple of the guys they used on the PK (Dumba/Stecher). McNabb is signed for just one season, so he could serve as a bridge to when Dmitri Simashev signs. If Utah were a seller at the next deadline, they might be able to trade McNabb and replace the picks that they gave up in the first place.
There's a few Vegas players on my list. All are defenseman and all comes down to price.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO

You think Vegas would trade McNabb when they should have another strong bite at the apple in 24/25 and he’s only making $2.8 million next year and he’s still clearly an integral part of their top 4 even with Hanifin in the fold? He’s playing nearly 23 minutes a night versus Dallas with 2 goals, 4 points and a +5 in 4 games.

Whitecloud seems like the luxury on that defense - his cap hit basically is the same as McNabb and he is used as a third pairing defender. If Shea is gonna play his off-hand, I’d move Whitecloud in the summer. He’s a solid player on a solid contract with some term who can probably fetch something. Korczak replaces him at minimum and Martinez falls off the books:

Hanifin-Pie
McNabb-Shea
Hague-Korczak

Hague is super cheap through next season. In the summer of ‘25, you let McNabb walk and give Hague an extension.

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
You think Vegas would trade McNabb when they should have another strong bite at the apple in 24/25 and he’s only making $2.8 million next year and he’s still clearly an integral part of their top 4 even with Hanifin in the fold? He’s playing nearly 23 minutes a night versus Dallas with 2 goals, 4 points and a +5 in 4 games.

Whitecloud seems like the luxury on that defense - his cap hit basically is the same as McNabb and he is used as a third pairing defender. If Shea is gonna play his off-hand, I’d move Whitecloud in the summer. He’s a solid player on a solid contract with some term who can probably fetch something. Korczak replaces him at minimum and Martinez falls off the books:

Hanifin-Pie
McNabb-Shea
Hague-Korczak

Hague is super cheap through next season. In the summer of ‘25, you let McNabb walk and give Hague an extension.

My initial thought was Whitecloud but I thought Vegas might want to keep him around since he has term. Either guy could fit for Utah.

Reactions: BKarchitect

Brodeur

Feb 27, 2002
San Diego
I'm sure you would. Why would anyone pay a 2nd for Ryan Graves?

I misread it initially as well, he said Graves+2nd for a 3rd rather than Graves for a 2nd+3rd. Essentially something like what Toronto did to dump Mrazek's contract on Chicago.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Utah should go hard after Matt Roy in free agency. Otherwise, maybe something around PL Dubois and Brandt Clarke.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
26 years old, RFA, 50 points, RHD. Bah gawd that’s Hronek’s music!

I’d be looking for either
1st and a 2nd rounder back
Geekie or Doan + Kesselring
Crouse + 2nd and a later pick

1714602169095.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad