Top 20 Quebecers in the NHL

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
Paper in Montreal just made its annual list, its pretty much the worst its ever been

20- Hendrix Lapierre
19-Alex Killhorn
18-Anthony Beauvillier
17-Mathieu Joseph
16-Nicolas Roy
15-Yanni Gourde
14-Marc Andre Fleury
13-Samuel Girard
12-David Perron
11-Pierre Luc Dubois
10-Anthony Duclair
9-Samuel Montembault
8-Jonathan Drouin
7-Thomas Chabot
6-Jonathan Huberdeau
5-Kristopher Letang
4-Mike Matheson
3-Philip Danault
2-Alexis Lafreniere
1-Jonathan Marchessault
Danault #3? like the player but, eesh.

nice to see Monty get recognition, I think he'll move up that sorry list soon.

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
I truly don’t understand the desperate need to protect the language

My grandfather came from Europe in 1925 speaking only french. My dad remembers his first day of school and only understanding french in an English elementary school . Im not sure when grandma learned English but she was fully bilingual

Growing up my dad’s family would generally speak English but when things got heated it would switch to French

My brother and i only spoke English. Never heard my family comment on it.

Maybe someone can help me understand. If my family had to move to china for example, id fully expect that within 3 generations my ancestors would speak only Chinese, and the only reason to retain English would be for global communication

I guess my question is why is there a need or desire to intervene with the natural evolution of language in Quebec. To “protect “ the language.

It's a fair question. It's mostly rooted in the history of the province of Quebec and of Canada though.

Part of it is the illusion of choice. The French people of Quebec never chose to be invaded and assimilated unlike in your example when a single family decides to emigrate to a country that speaks a different language.

Part of it is probably some sort of cultural resistance. The culture of Quebec is distinct from the culture in the rest of Canada and the US in many ways. Heck, these differences are rooted in public institutions like the judicial system. Abandoning French and going full English would probably feel like defeat to many and would likely be the death of a culture - or at least a core element of it.

Part of it is also just... Quebec's only official language is French. A large portion of the population speaks only French, and an even larger portion of the population lists French as its first language. It should just be expected that French is important to the region and its population. It should be expected that anyone working with the public should speak French at least conversationally - like you'd expect with English in the rest of Canada or the US.

Does the government uses the best politics to "protect" the language? Questionable. "Promoting" the language would probably have better results, but that's just my opinion.

Not entirely sure how it related to the list of Quebecois in the first post of the thread, because hockey declining in Quebec is a "greed" issue, not a language one. But yeah, for those who question why Quebecois are so protective of the language, I think it all boils down to history.

Reactions: Frank Drebin

Non Player Canadiens

Jan 25, 2012
Maplewood, NJ
I wonder how many canadian players had generational roots in Quebec, but their families moved away amidst all the political turmoil that pops up like the olympics.
disagree that political turmoil 'pops up like the olympics' :laugh: high water mark was 1995 referendum, nothing that i'd call 'turmoil' has occurred since then? :dunno:

Bradely

Sep 17, 2021
Preserving the French language in Quebec shouldn't mean eliminating any traces of English out of fear. Evolution through elimination fear tactic hasn't really worked out well in history.
There is no other place in North America where the linguistic minority has access to education, medicine at the same Québec ratio. I can see you might have limited education.

Reactions: GordonGraham

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
If you take out the anglo Montrealers I'm not sure there's even twenty quebecois in the league (full time roles only). Last year there was only about 16 who played 70+ games.

Gaylord Q Tinkledink

Apr 29, 2018
Not really. Bennington or Skinner would definitely be ahead of him. Possibly even Adin Hill.

Honestly, all those goalies suck and they'll look similar behind a stacked Canadian team

Team Nova Scotia/PEI kills them despite the 9 to 1 population advantage.

Forwards

Sidney Crosby Nathan MacKinnon
Brad Marchand
Alex Killorn
Morgan Barron
Liam O’Brien
Matthew Highmore
Drake Batherson
Ryan MacInnis
Logan Shaw
Zack MacEwen

Defense
Ryan Graves
Justin Barron
Noah Dobson (
Brandon Carlo
Luke Green
Mac Hollowell

Goalie
Zach Fucale
Fucale is from Rosemere, Quebec
I wonder how many canadian players had generational roots in Quebec, but their families moved away amidst all the political turmoil that pops up like the olympics.
Habs recently drafted Michael Hage, who's from the GTA, but both his parents moved there from Quebec and he (Michael) speaks French.
And the French also use a shit ton of anglicisms.
Which ones ? Quebec, or France ? I assume it's both as Quebecers use a lot and as someone who isn't the best at French it's annoying when they do interviews and they can't say "partisans", so they use "fans" as an example.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad