Top 20 Montreal Canadiens Forwards since 2000 - #1

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

the

Mar 2, 2012
Montreal
I've got a lot of respect for Alexei Kovalev but Saku Koivu can't be denied of the top spot.

He always showed up in a big match situation and always knew he wouldn't let us down no matter what.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
Did anyone take a look at the list and feel sad?
Sad that these are our top ten best forwards over the last 10 years?
regardless of what you may think or feel there's no A-list talent there
NONE

Bullsmith

May 21, 2007
Saku. Pleks. Kovy. Max.

Cammy? Top 5? Some quality highlights but...Gionta played his heart out for four seasons and wore the C. Zednik. Hell even the much-maligned DD is close to having a larger total contribution to the team. Which is my own personal criterion.

No problem with him being in the poll. Just not close to voting for him. Really surprised Kovy is so far ahead of Saku. Probably shouldn't be.

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
Did anyone take a look at the list and feel sad?
Sad that these are our top ten best forwards over the last 10 years?
regardless of what you may think or feel there's no A-list talent there
NONE

No A-Talent? I guess Kovalev was not skilled.

AntonCH

Jul 6, 2009
No A-Talent? I guess Kovalev was not skilled.

BWHAHAHAHAHA

You're showing yourself for the fanboy that you are
Kovalev is a talent that lacked balls to the wall desire
He was a good to great complimentary player but he was not nor will he ever be considered as someone that could carry a team thru an entire season. He is not A-list material
Neither is koivu, we made him one here, but he would've been a great second line center elsewhere

Mad Habber

Jul 5, 2006
1) Koivu - not close either. Including playoffs 539 games with 453 points for a ppg average of .84. Plus he was captain for all that time.

2) Plekanec - 748 total games with 481 points for a ppg of .64. His contributions also go beyond points with his defensive play.

3) Kovalev - 347 games and 295 points for a ppg of .85. One percentage point over Koivu but for a lot less games. How many times did this guy not even show up, or just show up to practice his stickhandling while in a game situation. Sent home and went for a walk with Gainey. Top forward? No way.

4) Pacioretty - 224 points in 340 games. 65%. And he is getting better as he hasn't passed his peak yet.

I would also place Gionta above Cammellari because he did his job for us for longer.

Ghetto Sangria

Apr 14, 2009
That would actually measure the ignorance level of this board.

This board is ignorant of many things, but if they were to choose cammy over zednik, it would be correct.

Cammy had 13 goals in one playoff run, and 10 pts in 7 games in the other. His regular season were "under par" but he still scored at a prime zednik rate. I've seen them both play, and they were both favorites of mine during their tenure here, but Cammy takes the cake no question about it.

He was the offensive catalyst for the habs in those two post seasons... Zednik played great in that boston series before going down, but was never an offensive catalyst in his NHL career

RJJ

Jul 24, 2014
Ottawa
The 5 choices all have some great qualities but it is a little disheartening that these are the top 5 forwards since 2000. Really helps explain why we haven't won anything in 21 years.

Last edited:

Big Lurk

Aug 2, 2013
Voting Kovy, just because he was so polarizing. He was flashy. Nothing against Koivu, but I would rather watch Allen Iverson than John Stockton play, if you get the comparison.

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012
BWHAHAHAHAHA

You're showing yourself for the fanboy that you are
Kovalev is a talent that lacked balls to the wall desire
He was a good to great complimentary player but he was not nor will he ever be considered as someone that could carry a team thru an entire season. He is not A-list material
Neither is koivu, we made him one here, but he would've been a great second line center elsewhere

What's so funny with what he said. Kovalev is A-talent. They're not talking about complete player or A-effort. They're talking about TALENT and Kovalev is one of the most talented player to play the game.

Both Koivu and Kovalev carried this team in the playoffs though.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Koivu is my favourite, but I think Pacioretty is the best. He's what the team has needed since 2000, and is only now entering his prime. I can't wait to see what he and Galchenyuk can do together.

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
Torn between Kovalev and Koivu, Koivu was the more consistent player but Kovalev had game changing ability and when he was on his game he was unbelievable.

Pacioretty would be 3rd for me right now mainly because he hasn't brought his game to another level in the playoffs like Saku and Kovalev would.

Wats

Error 520
Mar 8, 2006
Koivu was more consistent and better all around than everyone on the list. He also did it from a long span of 2000 to 2009 while carrying team on his back most of those years. Playoff warrior too. For me top 4 is easy:
1. Koivu
2. Kovalev
3. Plekanec (his career highs in points still > Pacioretty's career highs but Pacioretty catching up as years go by)
4. Pacioretty

Next 4 is harder but I'd go with:
5. Richard Zednik
6. Michael Ryder
7. Brian Gionta
8. Mike Cammalleri

higgs011

May 8, 2014
Montreal
Wow, crazy that Saku isn't winning this. Maybe a lot of posters missed his prime? Lead the nhl in scoring before his injury in his second year, and put up 70+ points with Zednik and Bulis as wingers lol.
Monster in the playoffs too.

edit: Also, these threads are fun, good job whoever came up with it.

another edit: Also also, Cams is not top 5 imo. Should be a wider selection, like the D poll.

Last edited:

Luigi Habs

Captain Saku
Jul 30, 2005
Montreal
1. Koivu
2. Kovalev
3. Pacioretty

You know you had terrible offense when in the span of 20 years your top 5 is Koivu, Kovalev, Pacioretty, Cammalleri and Plekanec.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Koivu is my favourite, but I think Pacioretty is the best. He's what the team has needed since 2000, and is only now entering his prime. I can't wait to see what he and Galchenyuk can do together.

They need a big guy that doesn't actually use his size? All he does is wait for breakaways.

Koivu is my pick, at least he fought and was the face of the franchise.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
If the poll ends up being closer (like 7 votes margin), do you guys think it'd be a good idea to do an extra poll but only with Koivu and Kovalev?

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
If the poll ends up being closer (like 7 votes margin), do you guys think it'd be a good idea to do an extra poll but only with Koivu and Kovalev?

Only if there's a tie. It wouldn't make sense to not award the guy who gets the most votes the win...

Also, it's been 24 hours+. When do we start the second round? Kudos for the pool btw.

Le Barron de HF

Justin make me proud
Mar 12, 2008
Shawinigan
Only if there's a tie. It wouldn't make sense to not award the guy who gets the most votes the win...

Also, it's been 24 hours+. When do we start the second round? Kudos for the pool btw.
The way I see it, there's 32 people that disagree with the consensus #1/#2 ;) That could be 32 more votes to determine the #1 guy. And yeah the other polls will be 24 hours, just wanted this one to last longer since it's a pretty big deal like Ron Burgundy would say.

And you're welcome, thank Le Tricolore for coming up with it!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad