Top 15 NHL Teams by Points %

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
The illusion that all other divisions are just jammed with quality teams and the north is a wasteland of lottery teams is the biggest myth of this season.

All we heard before was the Atlantic sucks yet they are feasting pretty good versus the rest of the league. Yes still a couple bottom feeders, as with every division.

HugginThePost

Flames Suck
Sponsor
Dec 28, 2006
Back to the Sweat Box
We all know the point was that you were fishing for people to praise the Oilers for you. Reality check: the Oilers haven't had a top half of the league caliber team in the salary cap era. They're two injuries away from being the team Sens fans point at to feel better. And at the very least until your new management builds a completely new look depth, d and goaltending to back up that top 6 it's going to stay that way.

You couldn’t be more wrong about this poster.

Do some research before you spout nonsense.

This, from a Flames Supporter.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
The Jets have also haven't lost 2 in a row in regulation all year and lost 2 in a row once. Not sure what this proves other then both teams have been consistent.

It was a response to a poster saying he/she doesn't think Toronto wins the division and that thwy were only a 3 game slide away from losing their spot.

Thing is there hasn't been a 3 game slide, there has barely been a 2 game slide, I have a a hard time calling 2 games a slide in general but especially when you lose one of them in OT.

Deadly Dogma

Sponsor
May 3, 2016
As an Oiler fan, the Jets scare me the most in a playoff matchup. Hellybuck and a heavy forward group.

The leafs look exactly like the same team that got bounced the last few years.
They really don't at all. The addition of Brodie, development of Holl and even Bogo has really changed the quality of our D core. Add in most of our forwards are buying into a 2 way game it really has changed our 5 on 5 play. Before no lead was ever safe and now all we have to worry about is 5-1 leads.

Reactions: leafsfan5

Hollywood3

Bison/Jet/Moose Fan
May 12, 2007
I spent this afternoon drafting a mathematical Strength-of-Schedule ("SOS") standings comparison for each team and division in the NHL.

Step 1: I took last year's standings, did a SOS for each division, and adjusted the winning percentage on the ratio of each division to the league as a whole.

Step 2: Since the divisions changed, I gave each new division an SOS rating based on the average of their new teams.

Step 3: I took this year's percentages multiplied by the SOS multiplier for each division.

Here's the full chart:
2020-21-NHL-SOS-21-02-27.jpg

By this, the East would have 5 top16 teams, the West and Central 4 each, and the North trails with 3.

The North's playoff teams would be #4 Toronto, #12 Winnipeg, and #15 Edmonton.

NoName

Bringer of Playoffs!
Nov 3, 2017
Who in the North is going to beat them?

They're the only legit playoff team in that division.
Look, I am a Leafs fan but that is an absurd level of overconfidence in a team that has yet to make anything of a deep playoff run in recent years. Winnipeg made a conference finals run in recent years and despite being a bit more depleted this season, is definitely battle tested and has some elite talent, and even Edmonton despite being top-heavy does have two of the absolute best players in the NHL on their roster. The Leafs are favourites right now for sure, but lets not act like they are absolute locks to come out of the division because that just isn’t true (although not having to go through Tampa and Boston to get to the conference finals is definitely a big opportunity for them).

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Come on, GOil! You know you can’t have an opinion that doesn’t include the Buds being the best team ever!!

Now, having said that, I do think they finish atop the North Division. I think the Oilers are riding the yearly Smith hot streak. He will come back down to reality, like he does every year.

I do think who ever comes out of the North gets trucked in the playoffs. Too much pond hockey being played.
Yeah maybe my timing was terrible, but I was just giving my honest opinion on the OP. Leafs are definitely a good team, just too many games left for me to say it's done and over.

Reactions: mehavecable

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
1. Toronto Maple Leafs - .773% - no suprise, awful division and a very good team. May have a rough ride if they play a team outside the division in the playoffs
2. Tampa Bay Lightning - .763%
3. Las Vegas Golden Knights - .735%
4. Florida Panthers - .725% - BIG SUPRISE
5. Philadelphia Flyers - .676%

6. Winnipeg Jets - .675%
7. Carolina Hurricanes - .675%
8. Minnesota Wild - .667% - BIG SUPRISE but weak division
9. Boston Bruins - .667%
10. Washington Capitals - .650

11. Colorado Avalanche - .639%
12. Edmonton Oilers .609% - decieving cause in such a lousy division. Will get crushsed if play any other division
13. Pittsburgh Penguins .605%
14. NY Islanders - .600
15. Chicago Blackhawks - .591 % - wait what

FeatherHead

Oct 5, 2017
I think Toronto run away with first, but I could also see any playoff team in the North snuffing them out in playoffs.

If Edmonton gets them in round 1 I could see McDavid just overtaking the series on his own

This. There is zero chance the Leafs win two 7-game series against any of Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver.

They’re just not. You don’t have to worry about the Leafs’ chances in a conference final & cup final against the likes of Boston, Tampa, or Vegas. They’re not beating 2 such teams in a row. It’s moot, because they won’t make it out of Canada.

Reactions: Hollywood3

JadedLeaf

Nov 14, 2007
Saskatchewan
I don't know. It could be a couple of different teams. They're one three game skid away from being caught and there's a ton of runway left. They're playing really well right now and full credit where it's due. But I think they hit a rough patch like basically every team in the NHL tends to do at some point in a season.
I would have expected the roughest patch of the season to be when their number one and two goalies were hurt, along with Simmons, Matthews, Muzzin, Hyman, Thornton, etc all I'm close succession and had to play a red hot Oilers team with McDavid and drai..

LEAFSANDBILLSFAN

May 3, 2020
This. There is zero chance the Leafs win two 7-game series against any of Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, or Vancouver.

They’re just not. You don’t have to worry about the Leafs’ chances in a conference final & cup final against the likes of Boston, Tampa, or Vegas. They’re not beating 2 such teams in a row. It’s moot, because they won’t make it out of Canada.

Truer words have never been spoken

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
They're 3-2 against Edmonton this year and only played Winnipeg once? If you truly believe they will stay the league leading team they currently are that's cool.

I don't. A whole lot can happen in a matter of 5 games.

They are top of the division and have not even been healthy? They will only improve as they get healthy.

Yes they will have a a skid like every team, but if somebody does catch them, that team will also have a skid after lol

So what makes you think they will not finish on top?

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
I think Toronto run away with first, but I could also see any playoff team in the North snuffing them out in playoffs.

If Edmonton gets them in round 1 I could see McDavid just overtaking the series on his own

McDavid is great, no argument here, but this is not the NBA and players don't win a series by themselves.

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Oh I get it now. You're just an upset Oilers fan cause the Leafs beat you last night.

It doesn't matter who wins that division and who comes out of the playoffs in that division. They're going to get run over by the other top teams in the league. Whether that's Toronto, Edmonton, or Winnipeg none of them are legit cup contenders.

Let me ask you this. What makes you so sure that the Leafs will get crushed by whoever they play outside the division?

Not saying it cannot happen or anything like that, it very well could.

But what makes you certain with no doubt? Using past performance helps in business for sure but you have way more variables year to year in sports.

Rants Mulliniks

Jun 22, 2008
Let me ask you this. What makes you so sure that the Leafs will get crushed by whoever they play outside the division?

Not saying it cannot happen or anything like that, it very well could.

But what makes you certain with no doubt? Using past performance helps in business for sure but you have way more variables year to year in sports.

Even if you use the past, no one has ever trounced them the past 4 years and that was before they assembled a D corps. They could easily go out in one or four but not likely they get trounced.

Reactions: TopChedder

TopChedder

Oct 2, 2013
Even if you use the past, no one has ever trounced them the past 4 years and that was before they assembled a D corps. They could easily go out in one or four but not likely they get trounced.

Agreed. I have no idea how people just say things will happen and have no real breakdown of why.

Martin Skoula

Oct 18, 2017

You're assuming they even make the playoffs, that's looking like a 50/50 if I'm being generous.

Reactions: Jimmy Firecracker

wahsnairb

Jun 9, 2010
Chicago and Minnesota are the surprises

Chicago is winning games without Toews and Dach... that’s wild. They have also had stretches without Shaw, Murphy, Debrincat, Boqvist, and more... that’s absurd.

Lankinen got a shot at 0-3 with a team SV% at .860 between Delia and Subban and it turned them around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad