Top 10 Rookies: Most Points

Status
Not open for further replies.

trahans99

Apr 7, 2004
Home of the 2005 Memorial Cup
I'm seting up a hockey pool at work and require 3 rookies. I know my 3 are Crosby, Ovechkin and Carter or Getzlaf, but many others don't know as much about hockey, so i'm providing them a list of top 10 or 15 favorites for rookies.

Heres mine:
Crosby
Ovechkin
Carter
Getzlaf
Parise
Perezoghin
Katsistyn
Fritsche (does he still count as rookie - played 20 or 23 games in 03-04)
Semin
Michalek
Vanek
Richards

I'm just thinking really fast, who else should be on this list?

Last edited:

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Raging Bull said:
Possibly a young defenseman from Calgary......... ;)

I actually very much doubt it... and this is not bashing Phaneuf in anyway, but is more a compliment to Calgaries D... I just don't see him getting that much ice time with the D corp they have. Unless things change, I would think he will be behind Regehr, Hamrlik, Leopold and Warrener in ice time, and behind Hamrlik and Leopold in pp time.

I would have to pick Carter or Crosby simply from the fact they will be playing on top lines with top calibre players.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
Newfie Bruin said:
Id say you could add Brad Boyes to that list

With the quality of rookies this year (possibly the best rookie class ever), and him probably playing on a fourth line, I can't possibly see Boyes mentioned with those players. And I'm not just saying that because I'm a disgruntled Leafs fan.

Raging Bull

Present
Jan 25, 2004
Hamilton, ONT
oil slick said:
I actually very much doubt it... and this is not bashing Phaneuf in anyway, but is more a compliment to Calgaries D... I just don't see him getting that much ice time with the D corp they have. Unless things change, I would think he will be behind Regehr, Hamrlik, Leopold and Warrener in ice time, and behind Hamrlik and Leopold in pp time.

I would have to pick Carter or Crosby simply from the fact they will be playing on top lines with top calibre players.

True.....if he is doing good out of the gate, I can see him maybe bumping up to Warrener's spot though.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
weaponomega said:
My Top 10

1. Lehtonen
2. Ovechkin
3. Kronwall
4. Vanek
5. Crosby
6. Phaneuf
7. Michalek
8. Carter
9. Suter
10. Toivonen
Toivonen will get more points then Parise.....man NJ must have drafted a bust and Boston must have gotten a goal scoring/goal stoping machine.

Jester

Jul 9, 2004
St. Andrews
Raging Bull said:
Possibly a young defenseman from Calgary......... ;)

with the pool of rookie forwards coming in there is no way a rookie dman is going to be in the top-10 for points. if that is all you are worried about, you need to go to the rookie forwards.

not to say Dion isn't going to be good, just really hard to make the point impact at the NHL as a young dman... especially in a league that has opened up everything for the forwards and, IMO, the new rules are going to limit dmen's offensive contribution potentially.

Ovechkin will be interesting... very shallow talent pool around him in Washington to help out. i would think the best approach would be to find the rookies that are going to be playing in good positions to score. so a guy like Carter, who isn't going to be quite the player that Ovechkin is long-term, may be a better option in this type of pool if he's playing with Forsberg/Gagne.

oil slick

Feb 6, 2004
Jester said:
with the pool of rookie forwards coming in there is no way a rookie dman is going to be in the top-10 for points. if that is all you are worried about, you need to go to the rookie forwards.

not to say Dion isn't going to be good, just really hard to make the point impact at the NHL as a young dman... especially in a league that has opened up everything for the forwards and, IMO, the new rules are going to limit dmen's offensive contribution potentially.

Originally the thread asked for Calder nominees, not points... thus the Phaneuf thing.

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
Jason MacIsaac said:
Toivonen will get more points then Parise.....man NJ must have drafted a bust and Boston must have gotten a goal scoring/goal stoping machine.

Hey moron, why don't you read the rest of the posts. He said he changed the name of the thread from calder candidates to top 10 point scores.

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
weaponomega said:
Hey moron, why don't you read the rest of the posts. He said he changed the name of the thread from calder candidates to top 10 point scores.

I dunno, picking Toivonen and hopeing Raycroft will hold out the whole year is pretty moronic in its own sense. Since he changed the name of the thread then a logical person would edit their own. I guess your too good for that though. :propeller

Jason MacIsaac

Jan 13, 2004
Halifax, NS
weaponomega said:
I'm better than good, like the avitar says, I'm great. pfff I'm not taking orders from a habs fan.
This comming from a fan of the team that lost to the Habs in the playoffs the last two times they met.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
weaponomega said:
pfff I'm not taking orders from a habs fan.

Even if we rule you for so many years? :)

Joke aside, I can't make a top ten, but except for the goalies in the list, all the players listed before could be amazing.

Here's my take for the rookie with most points, tho : Perezhogin. And it's not a homer choice. I beleive it.

I don't think it happened much that a guy makes the jump from Junior (or same level) to NHL and allready dominate (it happened, tho, but not quite often). Usually, a dominating rookie is a good prospect (not necessarily a "top" one) that had the chance to play at least one season against men. That's the case with Perezhogin (2 years, in fact : one in AHL -- where he was amazing in the second half -- and last year in a packed Russia League -- where he played so well he made the national team if not for an injury). He's a good prospect, he's not "that" young, he played with men and was good at it, and he'll probably play with Ribeiro and Ryder, which is far from boring!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad