Top 10 defensemen since 2005 #1

Status
Not open for further replies.

TMLegend

May 27, 2012
Somewhere
Through the dog days of summer I figured I would help past the time by making these series of polls. 2005 seems like the best place to start as it was the beginning of the new NHL.

Couple of notes on how to vote and on who to suggest to add:
1) A player must of played at least one full season with the Leafs.
2) Please try to judge the players based on their play with the Leafs only.

Tell me who to add next. :)

Polls will run for 2 days.

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
McCabe one and Kaberle 2. Current captain is 3rd at best, even Kubina could be in the arguement. In 5 years the answer is Reilley

Drew311

Makes The Pass
Oct 29, 2010
Kaberle is #1. His defensive game was always underrated because he wasn't physical, but he played smart and had a good stick. The guy was magic with the puck.

SeaOfBlue

The Passion That Unites Us All
Aug 1, 2013
It should be Kaberle. The guy played with us practically his whole career and has been solid the entire time. McCabe and Phaneuf will be 2/3 depending on how you view the fact that McCabe was a cap dump for Van Ryn at one point while Phaneuf was an absolute steal to capture him (and was captain while McCabe was not). It's kinda hazy past that, but Kubina should be in there at number 4. Gill and Gunnarsson will be there late. Then you could say Schenn, White and Beauchemin for the guys they brought back in trades. Gardiner and Rielly would just be in there because no one else really deserves to be there.

Hope Bringer

Jan 6, 2010
Kaberle from 2005 and on was not the same Kaberle pre-lockout. As far as impact on the game, and team, it's got to be Phaneuf

CDN24

Jun 17, 2009
It behooves you, if you're so convinced of his talent, to know how to spell it...

R-I-E-L-L-Y

Not so much that I am so convinced of his talent as there isn't anybodyelse. Assuming in 10 yrs we ask for the best d man since 2010 (2005 +5). Macabe and Kaberle are effectively off the table and Phaneuf's recent play will have most fans longing for Hal Gill.

Seriously I think Rielly will be a good one. Gardiner I am not sold on.

IBeL34f

Lilly-grin
Jun 3, 2010
Toronto
Kaberle from 2005 and on was not the same Kaberle pre-lockout. As far as impact on the game, and team, it's got to be Phaneuf

This, definitely. Until Gardiner shows more consistency, Kaberle will still be number 2, but Phaneuf is much much better than the last couple years of Kaberle's career here, and that's coming from a big Kaberle fan.

Even better would be if we could go back to the 90s with Yushkevich. I loved that guy

KuleminFan41

Jan 5, 2009
Phaneuf
Kaberle
Gunnarsson
McCabe
Beauchemin
Gardiner
Kubina
White
Schenn
Gill

*shrugs* idk something like that I suppose

Audi*

Nov 22, 2009
Lol @ anyone saying Kaberle was a better defenceman than phaneuf. Even phaneuf playing 25+ mins a night is a better dman than kaberle ever was.

I seriously question if this forum watches the games sometimes

oh and btw we're talking about DEFENSEMEN. I could care less about how many PP points kaberle put up or how fancy his zone entry was... doesn't matter

Gallagbi

Formerly Eazy_B97
Jul 5, 2005
Lol @ anyone saying Kaberle was a better defenceman than phaneuf. Even phaneuf playing 25+ mins a night is a better dman than kaberle ever was.

I seriously question if this forum watches the games sometimes

oh and btw we're talking about DEFENSEMEN. I could care less about how many PP points kaberle put up or how fancy his zone entry was... doesn't matter
Kaberle was often used in a shutdown role from 05-07.

He was solid at both ends of the ice until his last year or so with the Leafs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad