Friedman: Too many teams trying to sell, not enough teams buying

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Pierre Dorion, Peter Chiarelli, Marc Bergevin effect.

They will see the headline and proceed to give away assets for lower than market value at an astounding rate. Friedman is clearly on the leafs payrole here ;)

boredmale

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 13, 2005
2014 was another year that was another clear buyers market, I remember the Penguins got Stempniak and Goc for 2 3rds that year, which is very cheap for 2 pretty solid rentals.

There were a lot of cheap deals at that deadline, to be honest. Hemsky for a 3rd and 5th when he was on about a 40 point pace is pretty low. Gaborik was traded for Frattin and a 2nd, which was very cheap too. There were also not that many trades for a deadline and only 1 1st round pick traded (in the Miller to St. Louis deal.

I could be wrong but I think part of the blame for Vanek's terrible return was a cheap owner. I am guessing if Wanger ate half the contract there might have been a couple more teams interested.

Didn't help Montreal made the conference finals which devalued that 2nd rounder even more

Vipers31

Advanced Stagnostic
Aug 29, 2008
Cologne, Germany
If teams want a player bad enough, they will pay the price.
Sure. But when more teams are selling, the odds that someone wants one specific player "bad enough" go way down. That's the point.

If you're thinking about the Rangers' situation specifically: it probably doesn't change much for McDonagh, because there isn't many comparable assets out there. But for Nash/Grabner, more players being available certainly makes it tougher to dictate a price.

molon labe

Jul 13, 2016
Florida
What is interesting about these hockey'nomics is the fact that most rentals have not worked out historically - yet still NHL GM's want top dollar for them as if they're holding on to true aces who will ensure a teams' playoff success. This is just a typically hypocritical topic to discuss.

The recent Detroit move was perhaps the most sensible of the season. Yeah the dude was/is a legit #1 - but so was his contract, so admit your doing addition by subtraction and move on.

Reactions: NickH8

haveandare

Jul 2, 2009
New York
Kind of strange if true since the league is fairly open right now. A pretty big number of teams could be realistic contenders if they bought a good piece or two.

Team Cozens

Oct 24, 2013
Burlington
Good timing for us.

If the Leafs are looking for a winger then yes.
Also seems like a winger wouldn't be an upgrade over the replacement? IE - Trade JVR and then get Patches?
Is that really an upgrade......

If they are looking for defense, get in line!! Those aren't on sale.

5cotland

NFR
Jan 23, 2015
Scotland
What is interesting about these hockey'nomics is the fact that most rentals have not worked out historically - yet still NHL GM's want top dollar for them as if they're holding on to true aces who will ensure a teams' playoff success. This is just a typically hypocritical topic to discuss.

The recent Detroit move was perhaps the most sensible of the season. Yeah the dude was/is a legit #1 - but so was his contract, so admit your doing addition by subtraction and move on.
There can only be 1 winner my friend. Of course they wont all work out but contending teams see the trades as a way to improve their team.

Every team battling in the playoffs wants to have the best possible chance of winning the cup.

Buying at the TDL is always a risk as the prices are inflated but for the team that wins, the overpay was worth it.

CrypTic

Oct 2, 2013
Kind of strange if true since the league is fairly open right now. A pretty big number of teams could be realistic contenders if they bought a good piece or two.

In the West at least, I think it's wide open but that's bc there are many teams that have more than one hole to fill. If they're missing one piece, it's something like a 1C, which they aren't going to get. If the prices are high, you may as well roll the dice on your current team rather than trade futures to get something that isn't going to really fix the problems. It doesn't help that so many players on the market are wingers.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site
Name a much better Rental than Rick Nash at this TDL?

I was agreeing with you read the post again. I was just making another point that Hoffman and Pacioretty are also better younger players so they will demand substantially more.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Name a much better Rental than Rick Nash at this TDL?

Value is partially linked to need.....value can’t be determined in a bubble. Nash will be more valuable to some then others.....personally to the Jets as an example I would have very little interest in Nash b/c he doesn’t offer us much vs his reported cost.

CodeE

step on snek
Dec 20, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Garth needs to take advantage of this market after waiting it out for so long. Both 1sts off the table completely and the 2nds shouldn't be cheap either. Absolutely need to add at least one defenseman and use the Mrazek trade as reference when looking for a goalie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad