New York Islanders: Tommy Albelin hired as new assistant coach

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

saintunspecified

Nov 30, 2017
Long time 3rd pairing defender- could've been more if he didn't get banged up so much. Exactly the type of player one expects to become a coach.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
A current isles assistant coach fighting a former isles assistant coach because of a dirty hit on a current isles assistant coach

Satan'sIsland81

Feb 9, 2007
Disappointed in this. Was really hoping it would be Boychuk. But moreso this has 100% Lou decision written all over it. Lou has hired this guy in three different places so I doubt Roy had any say in this.

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
Disappointed in this. Was really hoping it would be Boychuk. But moreso this has 100% Lou decision written all over it. Lou has hired this guy in three different places so I doubt Roy had any say in this.
Boychuk is a guy we all love with absolutely no coaching experience.

Albelin had a near 20 year NHL year, 2 Stanley cups, and had been coaching for 20 years since he’s retired. I’m fine with this.

My only gripe would be that I would prefer Roy pick his own staff besides just 1 assistant.

Reactions: impaaaaaact

seafoam

Soft Shock
Sponsor
May 17, 2011
Was exactly what went through my head before knowing he was an ex-Devil.

That defense was a well oiled machine earlier this year, one might say they ran like a Swiss watch!

Now lets just hope Sorokin isn’t Swiss cheese again next year.

OK OK I’m done…
But seriously, it was very QC Rempart-esque when Roy was the bench boss. Crisp, clean, efficient, so even though this looks like a Lou hire (and might be/probably is), I think stylistically it’s a fit for how Roy wants to play.

For all we know, Roy is telling Lou what he’s looking for and the Lou goes and sources it with his vast rolodex of contacts he’s ammounted over his career.

MikeyMike01

U.S.S. Wang
Jul 13, 2007
Hell

How do we know that Lou didn’t simply facilitate a meeting with an existing connection, and then Roy approved?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad