Confirmed with Link: Tomas Plekanec (50% Retained) + Kyle Baun to Maple Leafs for 2018 2nd Rd Pick, Rychel, Valiev

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
[QUOTE="Captain Subban, post: 143591219, member: 97947"]It looks less like he's done and more like he's unhappy with the minutes he's getting. Julien would put him back to top defensive assignments and occasional powerplay.[/QUOTE]

Exactly why I don't want him back, we are worse with guys like him on the team, both he and Pacioretty need to gtfo of this organisation, they are losers.

Price is Wright

Feb 5, 2010
essex
No...he looks done and has looked so for the better part of the last 3yrs.

Of course you say that ;)

When I say he isn't done I mean he can play bottom six somewhere. He isn't Mark Streit done. More like Brian Gionta almost done. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get signed but I also wouldn't be surprised if he is signed and still puts up 20-30 points. Lots of GMs out there value veteran defensive centres. His amount of points doesn't mean much. His history of good defensive play will. It's why Lou paid as much as he did for him in the first place.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I watched him closely in the last few Leafs games and he's doing his assignments but his play with the puck leaves to be desired. At this point he's becoming a 4th liner. Ouplayed by rookie linemates.

Reactions: dralaf

loudi94

Master of my Domain
Jul 8, 2003
Alberta
I watched him closely in the last few Leafs games and he's doing his assignments but his play with the puck leaves to be desired. At this point he's becoming a 4th liner. Ouplayed by rookie linemates.
I'm afraid it is inevitable that both he and Marky will be back next year to finish off their 1000 games. I'm not for it personally but if it was at 1M or less, it can't hurt too much, especially since Marky can't be worse than Benn or Alzner.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
I'm afraid it is inevitable that both he and Marky will be back next year to finish off their 1000 games. I'm not for it personally but if it was at 1M or less, it can't hurt too much, especially since Marky can't be worse than Benn or Alzner.
I think it's time to move on from them. Unless if it's for a 'Vivre un calvaire for Lafrenière' type of thing.

Reactions: NORiculous and LaP

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Of course you say that ;)

When I say he isn't done I mean he can play bottom six somewhere. He isn't Mark Streit done. More like Brian Gionta almost done. I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get signed but I also wouldn't be surprised if he is signed and still puts up 20-30 points. Lots of GMs out there value veteran defensive centres. His amount of points doesn't mean much. His history of good defensive play will. It's why Lou paid as much as he did for him in the first place.
The only way that happens is if he's used like he was used with the Habs this year...

There's no team out there, other than the Montreal Canadiens, who have a desire to use a player who is purely defensive for more than 10 mins a game.

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

That's what he was for us all year, only Julien couldn't figure that out.

Reactions: dralaf

JuicyHam

Dec 16, 2013
windsor
Is there somewhere that sells habs turtlenecks like Plek wore? It'd probably be easier and cheaper to find a similar turtleneck and just get the logo put on I guess but i'd like to see if there is anything official.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Is there somewhere that sells habs turtlenecks like Plek wore? It'd probably be easier and cheaper to find a similar turtleneck and just get the logo put on I guess but i'd like to see if there is anything official.

You'll have to do it yourself. I remember Darche on Antichambre saying that the company that made those turtlenecks for Plekanec were no longer making any. They only kept making them specifically for him.

Reactions: Jrham15

habtastic

Aug 17, 2007
Montrealer in Boston
Maybe Pleks is just being loyal and playing poorly for one of the teams he's grown to hate?

But seriously, it's disappointing how effective he can be defensively, and how much he's dropped off offensively from the time he used to play with Kovalev. He was actually quite dangerous in the O zone. Seems like JDLR is making a case for himself, though it would be to play with Sherbak and Chucky, at least according to some media.

Mario le Magnifique

Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Maybe Pleks is just being loyal and playing poorly for one of the teams he's grown to hate?

But seriously, it's disappointing how effective he can be defensively, and how much he's dropped off offensively from the time he used to play with Kovalev. He was actually quite dangerous in the O zone. Seems like JDLR is making a case for himself, though it would be to play with Sherbak and Chucky, at least according to some media.
Plekanec dosen't like it when it gets physical and rarely engages into physical battles he risks losing, that's why he usually gifts the puck to the other team's defense, not even trying to make a damn breakout pass, but those are 'safe' plays (they're not considered giveaways) so defensively he's still there but in the Ozone this 'puck placement' looks so bad on the speedy talented Leafs (while on the Habs the whole team play(s)(ed) like that thanks to Therrien). With Julien we're slowly seeing more cohesion as Drouin is doing a better job at center and DLR breaking out to be not as bad as we all thought.

Not bad of a line and could actually make DLR put more points on the board. DLR is a workhorse all over the ice, the complete physical package, too bad the tools disapear with the puck on his stick. Can do the heavy lifting for players who have aces in their sleeves in the O zone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal

I always thought it would take him to be outside of a habs uniform for most people to see this..

We have a ton of wingers who need a good center, yeah he was a good center but terrible with wingers..
He was the absolute worst center at complimenting wingers , just tunnel vision, and the always chipping it in, always. his offensive decisions the last 3-4 years were just mind blowing, shooting when he should of passed, and his shots on net were the most laughable thing ive seen since gionta, just no power and accuracy in his shots

he had to go, and god im glad hes gone

S Bah

Nov 7, 2010
victoria bc
The deal for Plekanec is a good one for both teams, the Habs getting Rychel(19th OV in 2013) 6 picks before McCarron, Valiev (3rd round 68th OV in 2014) 5 picks before Lernout and getting a 2nd in 2018 which should be the 55th pick OV, the last time Habs picked 55th Arturri Lehkonen was the reward, nice. Toronto being in a tie for 7th spot in the standings, could very well be a SCC this spring, Plekanec could be a great defensive center, that can be moved throughout the Leafs lines in case of injuries, during the playoffs. Great trade for all concerned, hope Tomas wins himself a Stanley Cup Championship ring, he certainly deserves the opportunity IMHO!!!...:walrus::walrus::walrus:

OldCraig71

Juice Arse
Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The deal for Plekanec is a good one for both teams, the Habs getting Rychel(19th OV in 2013) 6 picks before McCarron, Valiev (3rd round 68th OV in 2014) 5 picks before Lernout and getting a 2nd in 2018 which should be the 55th pick OV, the last time Habs picked 55th Arturri Lehkonen was the reward, nice. Toronto being in a tie for 7th spot in the standings, could very well be a SCC this spring, Plekanec could be a great defensive center, that can be moved throughout the Leafs lines in case of injuries, during the playoffs. Great trade for all concerned, hope Tomas wins himself a Stanley Cup Championship ring, he certainly deserves the opportunity IMHO!!!...:walrus::walrus::walrus:
I can't believe I just read that. S Bah did you just hope that the Leafs win the cup?

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
2 assists in 16 games as a leaf. -2. D-O-N-E ...and already was before the purple pantie idiot re-signed him.

Reactions: PaulD

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Yeah, I'd pass for resigning him this summer. He's done. Let's go with JDLR.

DLR's emergence since Plekanec left was revealing. And I'm not talking about DLR replacing prime Plekanec. I'm talking about DLR replacing current Plekanec, which is truly the debate here. Who is better for their role currently with the team. I'll go with the 22-year old, 6'3", 210 lbs, player who can skate, hit, and forecheck and costs less than 1M than with the 35-year old, 5'11", 193 lbs, slower and declining for more than 2-3M.

Reactions: Redux91 and 417

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad