Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
Several players have mentioned that they prefer the skate jerseys, Willander locker room cancer confirmed.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
I still love the simplicity of the stick in rink and the 40th anniversary one's are probably my favorites with the V on the arms but if im choosing between Whale and Spaghetti skate it's WHALE all day long.

I disliked them at first but the new version (without stupid VANCOUVER over the top) is pretty damn nice

The black and gold is pretty sharp for a 3rd jersey.

Wouldn't mind seeing a Millionaires Green or Blue version as 3rd that could look pretty good

Reactions: pitseleh

Scholarships

10 Piece
Apr 3, 2016
A steady minute munching defenceman is exactly what the Canucks need. I personally don’t mind if Wilander is not flashy or does not play PP1. A player like that goes unnoticed and is typically underpaid for what they provide (see Jaccob Slavin for most of his career).

No PP1 —> points less inflated :nod:

Reactions: Lindgren

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I still love the simplicity of the stick in rink and the 40th anniversary one's are probably my favorites with the V on the arms but if im choosing between Whale and Spaghetti skate it's WHALE all day long.

I disliked them at first but the new version with stupid VANCOUVER over the top is pretty damn nice

I love the skate jerseys both in terms of how they look and what they represent. I also love the stick-in-rink colour scheme and jerseys. I don't love either logo, but they're OK.

I HATE the orca and what represents and I also hate the 97-06 (?) WCE-era colour scheme.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
On a stacked team, with a deep blueline, this would probably be the case.

But look at this current Canuck crew. On the right side, you've basically got Hronek, Myers and Desharnais. Juulsen is really not much more than a 7-8 'fill-in' in case of injury.

The Canucks have nobody in the system who even remotely approaches Wilander's skill-set, particularly as a rare right-shot d-man. So unless he does a full-on 'face-plant' when he signs his first pro contract, he has to be under active consideration or the big club.

Maybe he signs in March and starts his pro career playing out the season in Abbotsford. But also wouldn't be a stunner if he gets some games in Vancouver to start his career.
In my opinion we have a top 10 Defence and a top 5 Offence currently, we’re not exactly bottom feeders or a bubble playoff team. Juulsen is bad but Brannstrom has played very well and Forbort is returning to the lineup. We’re talking about limited minutes on the bottom pairing as the 6/7 Defenceman, why waste development potential for that.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
The Sedins probably would have won 5 f***ing Cups if they were playing in the skate jerseys instead of that soul-sucking orca monstrosity.

Lol true. Those jerseys were terrible, revamped version is much better, but still not at the Skate Level.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Lol true. Those jerseys were terrible, revamped version is much better, but still not at the Skate Level.

To me the orca logo is/was/always will be The Messier Logo that was the corporate branding of our new shitty American owners and represented the descent into darkness in the late 1990s.

That logo was literally developed to symbolize the new era under new ownership that Messier was ushering in.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
The orca logo has always been terrible, like some type of corporate branding exercise turned into a sports logo. Like what is that squiggle thing for? Just taking up space because they didn't know what else to do with the rest of the C after they slapped a whale on the top. They cleaned up the colours a bit but they can't get rid of the stink. The lines are jagged and ugly.

The spaghetti logo is a unique, creative design, the kind of logo that just becomes a classic. Sure, it looks a bit dated, but so does the Wings logo. The original stick and rink was nice too, simple, clean. The orca logo is neither.

Reactions: MS and arttk

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks to the likes of Gradin, the Sedins, Naslund, Ohlund, Edler etc. etc.....I think young Swedish players have a spot spot in their hearts for the Orca whale jersey.

So it wouldn't be a huge shock if the next wave of young Swedish Canucks like Wilander, Lekkerimaki and D-Petey like the jersey as well.

Jerry the great

Jul 8, 2022
I love the skate jerseys both in terms of how they look and what they represent. I also love the stick-in-rink colour scheme and jerseys. I don't love either logo, but they're OK.

I HATE the orca and what represents and I also hate the 97-06 (?) WCE-era colour scheme.
feast your eyes on this monstrosity
horrible.PNG

• Wow
Reactions: MS

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I just realized the stylistic similarity between the orca logo and the Seahawks logo are so obvious I don't know how I didn't see it before.

seattle-seahawks-logo-125-x-2-universal-plastic-hitch-cover_pi2112000_ff_2112161_full.jpg

Vancouver-Canucks-Logo-1997-2007.png

It's obvious what happened - corporate said to put together a logo with an orca, some overpaid hack designer just basically copied the (actually good) logo of the closest major city but because it's the Canucks and not the Orcas had to throw a C in there.

Just a travesty all around and people who like it should be ashamed.

Vector

Feb 2, 2007
Junktown
@Vector does so much for this forum but yet we might have to fire him out of a cannon for one horrendous take.

This is my hill and I will die on it.

Also, I’m not opposed to changing the logo. I love the current colour scheme and just don’t like the skate or colours that come with it.

Raistlin

Aug 25, 2006
other than that 94 year, the skate logo brings back years of mediocrity for me. yes there was Linden hugging Mclean, but thousands more images of Ridley falling down, Druken looking drunk, Dirk skating at the speed of snail and Lumme flipping the puck over a million times because we were hemmed in our zone. I take the Orca every time.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
94 skate logo all the way. They are mean looking, and the goaltenders "such as McLean" looks skookum in the gear. The whale really does nothing for me.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad