Prospect Info: Tom Willander: 11th Overall 2023 Draft (Rogle BK J20) - Part 02

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
cole hutson is regarded as a better prospect than lane was at the same point, but that's largely down to the height difference

regardless, there's zero chance he won't be the top puck carrier/power play qb on BU. if he were 6'2 he would have been in the conversation with buium and levshyunov and everyone else as the best defender in the draft

So if Cole Hutson is the topPP Dman, what do we expect for Willander's production/are there any expectations for his production?

The concern with Willander has always been his offense. Without top unit powerplay time, his totals aren't set to change dramatically.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
So if Cole Hutson is the topPP Dman, what do we expect for Willander's production/are there any expectations for his production?

The concern with Willander has always been his offense. Without top unit powerplay time, his totals aren't set to change dramatically.

i wouldn't be surprised if his production drops off. he's going from playing with maybe the best five man unit in the ncaa to a much worse lineup without celebrini, tuch and hutson

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i wouldn't be surprised if his production drops off. he's going from playing with maybe the best five man unit in the ncaa to a much worse lineup without celebrini, tuch and hutson

True, but a step back from his modest totals would not be good. The expectation would be that his development would correct for their departures.

My hope is that he's on that topPP unit, developing offensively, and the questions about his offense subside.

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
Willander has outstanding gap control and would be a good defensive player in the NHL right now.
yeah but imo GAP control is one of those things that doesn't always translate over to the NHL.
Opponents attack faster, more quick plays with accurate passing, you have less time to to react.
That's why i said i hope he has the brain for it..
Things like a great shot, straight line skating speed etc, it is what it is.... regardless of where you're playing. but ...man... GAP control ... you have to make really quick decisions as to when to pivot and retreat when to mark a guy etc.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Wilander has a lot of weight on his shoulders already. I'm sure the Canucks see him as a right-shot, top-four d-man in the making. Since he's virtually the only blue-chip blueliner they have, his path to the NHL could be a lot easier.

With most of the Canucks blueline signed to short-term contracts, there's always going to be a hole to be filled at the end of every season. So there's a chance that if Wilander signs this spring, he bypasses the AHL altogether.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
With most of the Canucks blueline signed to short-term contracts, there's always going to be a hole to be filled at the end of every season. So there's a chance that if Wilander signs this spring, he bypasses the AHL altogether.

What whole on RD will Willander fill if he signs this spring and bypasses the AHL?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
What whole on RD will Willander fill if he signs this spring and bypasses the AHL?
Well, the Canucks right-shot defenders are currently Hronek, Desharnais, Myers and Juulsen. And Myers will be 35 at the end of next season.

It's not a 'black hole' but close to it. I'd say that right now, Wilander would probably be an upgrade for everyone on the right side, save for Hronek.

JT Milker

Mar 24, 2018
yeah but imo GAP control is one of those things that doesn't always translate over to the NHL.
Opponents attack faster, more quick plays with accurate passing, you have less time to to react.
Things like a great shot, straight line skating speed etc, it is what it is.... regardless of where you're playing. but ...man... GAP control ... you have to make really quick decisions as to when to pivot and retreat when to mark a guy etc.
I think he has the best gap control I’ve ever seen from a defensive prospect, so I assume that will translate at the pro level.

Diversification

Jun 21, 2019
His strength defensively as I understand it is that he closes very quickly onto his opponent, taking about time and space. That speaks to defensive intelligence and superior mobility. That should translate at the NHL level.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Well, the Canucks right-shot defenders are currently Hronek, Desharnais, Myers and Juulsen. And Myers will be 35 at the end of next season.

It's not a 'black hole' but close to it. I'd say that right now, Wilander would probably be an upgrade for everyone on the right side, save for Hronek.

Thanks for correctly my typo. But you haven't answered my question. What hole on RD will Willander fill if he signs this spring and bypasses the AHL?

Myers may be 35 but will be signed for 2 more years. Do you see Willander replacing Juulsen?

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
Looking forward to Credulous being wrong again.

The exodus of talent should negatively impact Willanders numbers (credulous isn't wrong there). The counter argument is that his development and #1PP time should more than make up for it. But if he doesn't get #1PP time, then...?

Offensive development for Willander is important, imo. Sure he can convert being 10~ point RHD defender, much like Desharnais, but he was drafted to have more upside that this. Hoping for a big year from him.

Last edited:

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
i would be really surprised if he gets power play time with bu next season. one of the reasons he was demoted from hutson's pairing late in the season and in the tourney was because the play would just die on his stick way too often in the offensive zone. he doesn't have the instincts or the confidence to make a quick pass or find a seam. his shot is okay but it's not really a plus either. it's accurate but he telegraphs it and it's not particularly hard

willander isn't going to be a puck mover in the nhl imo. he'll be alright at clearing the zone because he can make accurate and hard initial passes/clears but if he needs to carry the puck or evade pressure he really struggles. if he's a top four defender in the nhl it's in the mold of someone like brodin or leddy who can skate and make a good first pass but aren't puck rushers or power play guys

arttk

Feb 16, 2006
Los Angeles
The exodus of talent should negatively impact Willanders numbers (credulous isn't wrong there). The counter argument is that his development and #1PP time should more than make up for it. But if he doesn't get #1PP time, then...?

Offensive development for Willander is important, imo. Sure he can convert being 10~ point RHD defender, much like Desharnais, but he was drafted to have more upside that this. Hoping for a big year from.him.
the sense I get is him going to NCAA is very purposeful compared to what typically happens in development. The plan (or the hint of one at least) seems to be 1st year focus on transitioning to NA and focus on getting fundamentals down (defense) and the 2nd year if focused on becoming a better player.

We'll see how his offense will develop this season but if anything, it seems like that was not the primary focus last season (doesn't mean it was neglected), so we'll see what happens when that becomes the primary focus.

Reactions: Bleach Clean

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
i would be really surprised if he gets power play time with bu next season. one of the reasons he was demoted from hutson's pairing late in the season and in the tourney was because the play would just die on his stick way too often in the offensive zone. he doesn't have the instincts or the confidence to make a quick pass or find a seam. his shot is okay but it's not really a plus either. it's accurate but he telegraphs it and it's not particularly hard

willander isn't going to be a puck mover in the nhl imo. he'll be alright at clearing the zone because he can make accurate and hard initial passes/clears but if he needs to carry the puck or evade pressure he really struggles. if he's a top four defender in the nhl it's in the mold of someone like brodin or leddy who can skate and make a good first pass but aren't puck rushers or power play guys

I didn't see PPQB upside in him at the draft. Still, powerplay time at the lower levels would suggest some work on, and trust in his offensive skills. More development there. That's why I want to see him on the top unit.

A byproduct of that work/trust will be more points, and that also bodes well.

The fact that he was a converted forward allows for some hope that the offense will come. That he's just getting used to creating from the back end. Time will tell.

Last edited:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Thanks for correctly my typo. But you haven't answered my question. What hole on RD will Willander fill if he signs this spring and bypasses the AHL?

Myers may be 35 but will be signed for 2 more years. Do you see Willander replacing Juulsen?
Based strictly on 'performance', when Wilander completes his year at BU and if he signs an ELC with the Canucks in late March or April, he automatically becomes the Canucks second-best right-shot d-man after Hronek.

Granted that's a 'low bar'. But with this Canucks blueline, that's just the way it is.

Reactions: ChilliBilly

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad