Speculation: Todd McLellan to be hired as head coach?

Long Live Lyle

Feb 10, 2019
Chicago, IL

A new wrench into the plans?

Woodcraft was McLellan’s understudy for the majority of his career. I’d prefer to just go with the more experienced McLellan in that case rather than Woodcroft.

Although this does make me wonder if maybe it’s been leaked that CBJ is talking to both Woodcroft and McLellan… with one being the actual target candidate and the other more to find out about the other? That could be how Bucci got McLellan and Weekes got Woodcroft.

(Also, ironically, and it was so long ago and a relatively short amount of time, but McLellan was Babcock’s understudy and Woodcroft further down under him as a video assistant in Detroit.)

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I think I prefer Woodcroft to McLellan, but I'd prefer neither as they both have the Babcock stink on them. Just not sure any of the alternatives is exciting either.

I posted this on r//bluejackets and got downvoted, but I wonder if Woodcroft might be willing to join McLellan as an assistant, since they've had that in the past. Obviously he'd prefer a head job, but you never know.

Doggy

Oct 11, 2011
I'm generally in the camp of "please stop running these Larsen/Vincent type of hires." We need competence and stability (and to fire Steve McCarthy into the sun).

That said, McClellan's track record is...kind of spotty.

-He couldn't win a Cup with, on paper, one of the most talented teams of the era. The Sharks won the Pacific Division in each of his first three seasons there, including a President's Trophy his first year. They lost in back-to-back Conference Finals in 2010 & 2011. By 2015, they missed the playoffs and he was let go. The very next season they made it to the Stanley Cup Final and made the playoffs each year after that until the Karlsson deal blew up in their faces (and they got old) and missed the 2020 Bubble
-Not exactly a stellar track record in Edmonton, where he had McDavid and Draisaitl. Missed the playoffs in '15-'16 (understandable), made the playoffs the following year, then followed that up with a 78 point campaign the next season, then he was fired 10 games into the next season. The Oilers haven't missed the playoffs since firing him.
-Took the Kings to the playoffs twice but couldn't get out of the first round. They fired him mid season last year and went 21-12-1 after he was gone.

Since 2013, the Blue Jackets have been to the playoffs more than McClellan (5-4) and have been to the 2nd round the same number of times (1).
Coach X

Team #1: Misses playoffs five of eight years and makes it past the second round once. Fired.
Team #2: Misses playoffs in back to back seasons and fired.
Team #1: Returns to first team who won a SC during the two years he was gone and misses playoffs two of three years.
Team #3: Misses playoffs three of eight years making it past the second round twice.
Career:
  • won far less than half his games
  • a point percentage just above .500
  • just 9 playoff appearances in 23 seasons
Are you hiring him?

Team #4: Back to back Stanley Cup appearances and just won a Stanley Cup Monday night.

Just saying.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
What makes him a candidate? Is Weekes reporting gathered intel? If he's a "top" candidate, who are the "bottom" candidates?
Nothing confirmed yet but my sources are telling me that not getting a satisfying answer from Weekes to any of these questions could be one of the likeliest outcomes. It's possible we will get more info on this later this week. Stay tuned and please keep reading and liking my posts.

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
I think I prefer Woodcroft to McLellan, but I'd prefer neither as they both have the Babcock stink on them. Just not sure any of the alternatives is exciting either.

I posted this on r//bluejackets and got downvoted, but I wonder if Woodcroft might be willing to join McLellan as an assistant, since they've had that in the past. Obviously he'd prefer a head job, but you never know.
It’s interesting, I had no idea McLellan had any association with Babcock until yesterday.

Personally, I’d prefer McLellan to Woodcroft if only for the more experienced and more sustained success angles. I’m not overly happy with this if he is indeed the hire, but I think the only guys I’d prefer to him, among guys we’ve heard, are Evason and Nelson. Still would be a big move in a positive direction for the org though IMO.

Maybe the thing I’d be most excited about with McLellan is he’s the perfect 3 year coach to then hand the reins to Vogelhuber. :nod:

CBJx614

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 25, 2012
C-137

I get that, but learning under someone doesn't mean they are the exact same in their techniques.

In the video I posted yesterday Mclellan says that player relationships and motivation techniques are more important than game tactics.. It's entirely possible he saw Babcock's techniques personally and was able to learn exactly what not to do from it.

Remember it's the assistant coaches who are the ones left picking up the pieces and dealing directly with the players after HCs rip players a new one.

squashmaple

gudbranson apologist
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2022
Columbus
I get that, but learning under someone doesn't mean they are the exact same in their techniques.

In the video I posted yesterday Mclellan says that player relationships and motivation techniques are more important than game tactics.. It's entirely possible he saw Babcock's techniques personally and was able to learn exactly what not to do from it.

Remember it's the assistant coaches who are the ones left picking up the pieces and dealing directly with the players after HCs rip players a new one.
Oh, it's nothing personal to either of them. I am also content with either of them being the hire. But it does make me do a little side-eye to hire a Babcock disciple just a year after that debacle.

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
The Dispatch spoke with NHL industry sources who believe that McLellan is the Jackets’ top choice. One was told a job offer was extended, but Waddell told The Dispatch on Tuesday that no offers had been issued. The Blue Jackets’ apparent interest in McLellan does appear to be spreading.

McLellan’s name first surfaced in connection with the Blue Jackets on Tuesday in a Twitter/X post by ESPN’s John Buccigross, who stated: “Hearing Todd McLellan is getting traction to be next coach in Columbus for the Blue Jackets. Their decision should be soon.”

Wednesday morning, TSN's Elliotte Friedman appeared on SiriusXM’s NHL channel and said McLellan “could be the guy” for the Blue Jackets.

“I think that’s very real,” Friedman said.
Waddell has said the Blue Jackets don’t anticipate making a big splash on the unrestricted free agent market, but that doesn’t mean they won’t target any UFAs.

Assuming they have interest in adding experienced depth to the lineup via free agency, those players will want to know what coach they’ll play for next season. That means it’s likely the Blue Jackets will name their next coach before Monday arrives to open the NHL’s free agency period.

ThirdPeriodTurtle

Jul 13, 2022
Finland
Maybe the thing I’d be most excited about with McLellan is he’s the perfect 3 year coach to then hand the reins to Vogelhuber. :nod:
This has turned me over to liking the idea of McLellan (not that I had much opinion to begin with). I like what I've seen of Vogelhuber, so I'm onboard with this secret plan!

majormajor

Jun 23, 2018
Personally I want a coach that can be a little scary when they need to be. Especially since we need someone to put the room in order and put some personalities in their place.

So Evason > McLellan > Woodcroft

No really, given what we're looking for, it helps when they don't look like a little boy.

Aaaarrgghh

Jul 17, 2022
I know it's over-simplifying it significantly, but the Oilers' success after Woodcroft greatly lowered his appeal to me on an instinctual level.

Last edited:

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
I'm not about to condemn folks for being associated with Babcock. It takes a special kind of above and beyond to reach the kind of abuse he pulled. If these guys learned the good bits and also learned what not to do under him, I'd consider that a mark for rather than against.
I like this daydream and want it to be real. :)

Reactions: majormajor

Youngguns80

A worthy goal is easy to defend
Sponsor
Jan 24, 2021
Ohio

I am wondering 2 things. The statement that he can get away for a day in Vegas could mean 2 things.
  1. Get away for the interview?
  2. Get away for Day 1 of the draft because it was hypothetically agreed that if he was the coach.
A lot of leaders deal in hypotheticals to get around the question "Was he offered the Job" also works for the coach when asked the question as well.

Answer - Technically no, but they could already have the understanding.

Reactions: CBJx614

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad