Speculation: Todd McLellan to be hired as head coach?

DoingItCoolKiwi

May 23, 2017
I'm not a huge fan but whatever. He seems to usually lasts like 4 seasons, so the minimum requirement of stability is achieved with this. That's enough for now

Reactions: Viqsi

Cheddarcheese

Oct 24, 2023
Kings fan chiming in here with Cold notes on TMac a.k.a. “Koala” Great X’s and O’s coach. Structured. In game coaching adjustments are non existent and he’s not fond of playing the younger guys in the lineup.

Hope he works out for you.
he will have to play kids that all we have hahah

VT

Jan 24, 2021
Slovakia
There are some quedtions

What was the quality of the young players in Los Angeles?
2. were they ready to play big minutes in the NHL or not?

If you answer them, then we can condemn the coach or not. Apropo Boone is not as good as Kopitar and Dandenault who were TOP centers. And even the Kings young centers didn't have the quality of Fantilli, probably not even Voronkov and Sillinger.

tunnelvision

Jul 31, 2021
Kings fan chiming in here with Cold notes on TMac a.k.a. “Koala” Great X’s and O’s coach. Structured. In game coaching adjustments are non existent and he’s not fond of playing the younger guys in the lineup.

Hope he works out for you.
How was the PP under McLellan? Did he get to hire his own staff while he was there, including the guy responsible for PP?

Indy18

Aug 17, 2023
I kinda don't want to pre-have this discussion, but if the concern is he'll rely heavily on veterans, who does that mean? Do we really think he's going to start giving Sean Kuraly 19-20 minutes a game?

Like Viqsi said, this is pretty much a thing for almost every coach.
Its 8:30 and I just woke up on my vacation day off...can anyone show me a team that has an under 22 year old (chicago is the exception) that is in the top 3 of TOI? I think the Ducks might be the only one but even then they were load managing Carlsson.

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
I'm generally in the camp of "please stop running these Larsen/Vincent type of hires." We need competence and stability (and to fire Steve McCarthy into the sun).

That said, McClellan's track record is...kind of spotty.

-He couldn't win a Cup with, on paper, one of the most talented teams of the era. The Sharks won the Pacific Division in each of his first three seasons there, including a President's Trophy his first year. They lost in back-to-back Conference Finals in 2010 & 2011. By 2015, they missed the playoffs and he was let go. The very next season they made it to the Stanley Cup Final and made the playoffs each year after that until the Karlsson deal blew up in their faces (and they got old) and missed the 2020 Bubble
-Not exactly a stellar track record in Edmonton, where he had McDavid and Draisaitl. Missed the playoffs in '15-'16 (understandable), made the playoffs the following year, then followed that up with a 78 point campaign the next season, then he was fired 10 games into the next season. The Oilers haven't missed the playoffs since firing him.
-Took the Kings to the playoffs twice but couldn't get out of the first round. They fired him mid season last year and went 21-12-1 after he was gone.

Since 2013, the Blue Jackets have been to the playoffs more than McClellan (5-4) and have been to the 2nd round the same number of times (1).

JacketFanInFL

Brick by Brick
Mar 27, 2006
Central FL
Not thrilled with the hire, but if they fire all the current assistants/development staff and bring in competent guys, I could be persuaded. I don't want to see us hiring former fighters/players who are learning coaching on the job at the game's highest level again.

Reactions: Jovavic

MissADD

Jun 21, 2018
Silvermoon City
I'm generally in the camp of "please stop running these Larsen/Vincent type of hires." We need competence and stability (and to fire Steve McCarthy into the sun).

That said, McClellan's track record is...kind of spotty.

-He couldn't win a Cup with, on paper, one of the most talented teams of the era. The Sharks won the Pacific Division in each of his first three seasons there, including a President's Trophy his first year. They lost in back-to-back Conference Finals in 2010 & 2011. By 2015, they missed the playoffs and he was let go. The very next season they made it to the Stanley Cup Final and made the playoffs each year after that until the Karlsson deal blew up in their faces (and they got old) and missed the 2020 Bubble
-Not exactly a stellar track record in Edmonton, where he had McDavid and Draisaitl. Missed the playoffs in '15-'16 (understandable), made the playoffs the following year, then followed that up with a 78 point campaign the next season, then he was fired 10 games into the next season. The Oilers haven't missed the playoffs since firing him.
-Took the Kings to the playoffs twice but couldn't get out of the first round. They fired him mid season last year and went 21-12-1 after he was gone.

Since 2013, the Blue Jackets have been to the playoffs more than McClellan (5-4) and have been to the 2nd round the same number of times (1).
Not comparing the 2 coaches, but look at Barry Trotz. He never made it out of the 2nd round until he won a cup. So much goes into winning a cup (a lot of it luck), the fact that he punches a ticket to the playoffs more often than not is a good sign.

Reactions: Monk, LJ7 and Ice9

DarkandStormy

Apr 29, 2014
Not comparing the 2 coaches, but look at Barry Trotz. He never made it out of the 2nd round until he won a cup. So much goes into winning a cup (a lot of it luck), the fact that he punches a ticket to the playoffs more often than not is a good sign.

He punched a ticket one time with McDavid & Draisaitl.

Having Thornton/Marleau/Pavelski (and later, Burns & Couture) makes it easier to get to the playoffs, I think.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad