Speculation: Todd McLellan to be hired as head coach?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/
Status
Not open for further replies.

CBJWerenski8

Rest in Peace Johnny
Jun 13, 2009
Kings fan chiming in here with Cold notes on TMac a.k.a. “Koala” Great X’s and O’s coach. Structured. In game coaching adjustments are non existent and he’s not fond of playing the younger guys in the lineup.

Hope he works out for you.
Tough luck for him, as of right now that’s the only types of players we have lol.

• Haha
Reactions: Napoli

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Kings fan chiming in here with Cold notes on TMac a.k.a. “Koala” Great X’s and O’s coach. Structured. In game coaching adjustments are non existent and he’s not fond of playing the younger guys in the lineup.

Appreciate the report, but to be frank at this point I am legit convinced I have never, not once, ever seen an evaluation of literally any coach on HF that has not included these two complaints. Ever. Each and every single one.

MoeBartoli

Checkers-to-Jackets
Sponsor
Jan 12, 2011

At first I thought I was reading a post on Gallant. :sarcasm:

Reactions: MAHJ71

GoJackets1

Someday.
Sponsor
Aug 21, 2008
Montana
Appreciate the report, but to be frank at this point I am legit convinced I have never, not once, ever seen an evaluation of literally any coach on HF that has not included these two complaints. Ever. Each and every single one.
Yeah I’m certainly guilty of this myself. lol

If McLellan does rely heavily on vets- he certainly did in LA- It will be interesting to see how that plays out here.

Reactions: LJ7

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
Other than the obvious example of Boone, it seems like we’d need to bring in actual weighty veterans for “a coach who plays veterans too much” to be a problem.
Kinda think we need another one or two of 'em already.

I wonder if that means I can take that alleged preference and thereby breathlessly declare that that means Waddell will be active in getting the sorts of players I think are necessary. I mean, I assume that's how it works...

I3LI3

Jan 9, 2021
Columbus, OH
Todd’s teams have made the playoffs 9 out of his 14 full seasons of coaching in the NHL… that’s nearly 70 percent.

overall, dating back to the AHL… a team head coached by todd has made the playoffs 14 out of 19 seasons.

impressive to say the least.

not a OMG WOW hire. but a safe one at the very least.

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada

We just had a younger worse version of that. Good times

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
So Porty also shared this:

The commentary on PLD's effect on the Kings drew particular interest when I looked.

There are a number of candidates for the last open NHL coaching job — the Columbus Blue Jackets — but my wish is that Todd McLellan gets it. He’s a candidate, according to my colleague Aaron Portzline, and based on McLellan’s track record and the way he coaches — stressing a structured defensive approach — he is probably just what the Blue Jackets need. The only other times they’ve had it — under John Tortorella, Ken Hitchcock and maybe way back at the beginning, with Dave King — was when they were most relevant.

Also, if McLellan is the choice, then, for possibly the first time in history, a Washington-Columbus game is going to be must-see TV when teams meet for the first time in the 2024-25 NHL season.

That’s largely because the game would feature the return of Pierre-Luc Dubois to Columbus, the team he originally spurned — and on the opposing bench would be McLellan, who probably lost his previous job with the Los Angeles Kings in part because of Dubois’s indifferent play.

Dubois was the classic square peg in the round hole in Los Angeles — and McLellan, like a lot of coaches before him, couldn’t find the right buttons to push to get Dubois engaged. Good luck to Washington’s Spencer Carbery. He seems an able man, but rehabilitating Dubois is going to take real coaching sleight-of-hand. New Blue Jackets general manager Don Waddell made it clear he wants a coach with experience, who will instill structure, and given that those are the two main priorities, it’s hard to imagine anyone being a better fit than McLellan, among the coaches still looking for work.

Gerard Gallant is probably the next-best option, as he began his coaching career in Columbus in 2003. A lot has changed since then, but would hiring Gallant be too much of a back-to-the-future move? Maybe. McLellan was a candidate in Toronto, a team that eventually hired Craig Berube as its coach.

McLellan’s best work has been done in making teams better. Probably the biggest knock against him, compared to Berube, is that he has yet to get a team over the finish line, although one could argue he hasn’t had the players to do that anywhere he’s coached (San Jose, Edmonton, L.A.).

In Columbus, the finish line is a long way off. If the goal is to see the team gradually climb the NHL standings, that’s right up McLellan’s alley.

Cyclones Rock

Jun 12, 2008
In his last 9 full seasons, only one of his teams has advanced beyond round 1 in the playoffs. Very similar to Babcock in that respect.

Dumais

It's All In The Reflexes
Jul 24, 2013
Just glad Waddell is bringing in a coach (experienced, more please!) before he does any tinkering with the roster. It would be nice if Waddell / McLellan had some time to get to know the players before making any serious decisions. but.

Thank goodness JD waited a couple months to hold off on anymore changes. Who knows, who we might have ended up with.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad