Value of: Tobias Enstrom to Boston

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

nmbr_24

Jun 8, 2003
Visit site
The guy was drafted 239th. You don't think that he has lived up to that? Did anyone ever expect him to be as good as he turned out to be? Sure, he is in slow decline now, but I can't really recall anyone question his value since getting his last contract. Fill us in please......

There were plenty of people who thought after his first couple of seasons that he would turn out to be a great top pairing guy, I'm not saying everyone thought he would win the Norris and he isn't even a bottom pairing guy. When he was given the contract he has now they thought he was going to be a legit top pairing D, not a good #3 guy but a good #2 guy and that is how he got paid.

mondo3

Jun 4, 2011
Anaheim
Carlo and Miller are RD.

Morrow isn't what you want. Believe me.

Zboril or Lauzon would certainly be available for a different D in WPG ;).

Ok...I'm assuming by your comment that those 2 are fairly good. As this is a trade for Enstrom thread (and not for a different Jets D), what would be the forward add to get this trade to work? someone like Burmistrov, Lowry, or Copp?

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013
There were plenty of people who thought after his first couple of seasons that he would turn out to be a great top pairing guy, I'm not saying everyone thought he would win the Norris and he isn't even a bottom pairing guy. When he was given the contract he has now they thought he was going to be a legit top pairing D, not a good #3 guy but a good #2 guy and that is how he got paid.

Thanks for splitting that hair for us. He is Jets #1 LD. Period.

bearcountry17

Jun 4, 2012
South Shore, MA
Ok...I'm assuming by your comment that those 2 are fairly good. As this is a trade for Enstrom thread (and not for a different Jets D), what would be the forward add to get this trade to work? someone like Burmistrov, Lowry, or Copp?

I highly doubt the Bruins deal either Zboril or Lauzon for a declining soon to be 32 year old defencemen with a huge cap hit for the next two years. They also don't really need any more depth forwards I think Enstrom would definitely help the Bruins, but I don't see them resigning him when his contracts up and would only give up Morrow+pick for him. I understand if Jets fans would rather keep him.

Glove Malfunction

Ference is my binky
Jan 1, 2009
Pleasantly warm, AZ
as far end as you can get when it comes to different kinds of players. Enstrom will provide more the next 5 years in terms of his transition game and speed. Chara is going nowhere but down from here...he can be force fed minutes all you want but lets not act like thats a flattering stat. All of Winnipeg's top 4 is better than anyone on Boston save maybe Krug who is in himself a one trick offensive pony.

Krug is not what you'd call his a defensive stalwart, but calling him an offensive one-trick pony is wildly inaccurate.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
WPG is literally the last team to get a LHD from.

larmex99

Sponsor
Jul 4, 2013

And most Jet fans agree. So, close the thread. Nothing to see here. Bye.

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
This is not going work, bruins already have Krug and they are not dealing there young guys. The future defensive depth and skill Sweeney has amased in the last 2 drafts has been amazing.

johna2626

Aug 19, 2015
Atlanta
Enstrom's NMC would mean Boston would be protecting both Chara and Enstrom in the expansion draft, only to have both their contracts expire the next year. Not great asset management for Boston.

Enstrom is WPGs only good LHD. Moving him doesn't make sense for them, either.

Though not great, that's pretty typical asset management for Boston :popcorn::popcorn:

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
if boston didnt have krug around with a coupl college kids pushing for spots... all 5'10 and smaller...

id probably kick the tires on enstrom. i know winnipeg fans like enstrom but his offense has become average... below par for his paycheck... and he will always be handicapped by his size

enstrom might look pretty ugly once age slows him down a step

i think his leadership is valuable... i think a team can afford to have 1 undersized guy who works his butt off...

that team isnt boston though. losing chara will be a huge challange physically. i anticipate mcquaid will become a casualty to payroll soon too...

bostons going to have alot of smaller or average sized kids on their blueline in 2-3 years. and if we do get shattenkirk as i believe we will... that just makes the size problem bigger

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
Krug is not what you'd call his a defensive stalwart, but calling him an offensive one-trick pony is wildly inaccurate.

if krug topped out at 15-20 points, he wouldnt have an nhl job

the hope is krugs defense gets good enough that he wont be a liability... but i doubt even his biggest supporters anticipate a day where his defense would ever be considered a strength.

luckily hes extremely good offensively. i wouldnt be schocked to see him scoring 60+ points the next few seasons

pierre gagnon*

Mar 15, 2013
St. Catharines
if boston didnt have krug around with a coupl college kids pushing for spots... all 5'10 and smaller...

id probably kick the tires on enstrom. i know winnipeg fans like enstrom but his offense has become average... below par for his paycheck... and he will always be handicapped by his size

enstrom might look pretty ugly once age slows him down a step

i think his leadership is valuable... i think a team can afford to have 1 undersized guy who works his butt off...

that team isnt boston though. losing chara will be a huge challange physically. i anticipate mcquaid will become a casualty to payroll soon too...

bostons going to have alot of smaller or average sized kids on their blueline in 2-3 years. and if we do get shattenkirk as i believe we will... that just makes the size problem bigger

They have brandon Carlo at 6'5" and Rob O'Gara at 6'4" and Lauzon at 6'2", Zboril is 6'1" in the top 6 for sure in 3 to 5 years. Wiley Sherman is 6'7", Arnesson is 6'1" they are maybes. Grezlyk is smaller, yes. Lingren and MacAvoy are both 6 foot.

Alberta_OReilly_Fan

Bruin fan since 1975
Nov 26, 2006
Edmonton Canada
They have brandon Carlo at 6'5" and Rob O'Gara at 6'4" and Lauzon at 6'2", Zboril is 6'1" in the top 6 for sure in 3 to 5 years. Wiley Sherman is 6'7", Arnesson is 6'1" they are maybes. Grezlyk is smaller, yes. Lingren and MacAvoy are both 6 foot.

how many of these guys will play big... be good enough to be regulars?

a few years ago we had hal gill, milan jurcina, andrew alberts... but it was not pretty

i do have hopes for lauzon and zboril to step in but history teaches us almost no team graduates all thei prized dmen prospects

ottawa is a recent example... couple of their cant miss kids missed
i
go back to the maple leafs drooling over benning, nylund, boimstruck

even the recent islanders situation... a couple of their cant miss kids seam to be playing... a couple others seam to have flamed out

in general terms... a small defense usually doesnt work out well. small can mean plays small too. teams can hide 1 or even 2 smaller guys if the rest of the team compensates, but asking rookies to compensate is a tall order.

for me... my plan... bring shattenkirk in for rhs pp guy and find him an allrounded partner with decent size

use krug as your lhs dman... let kevan miller be his partner until someone better comes along

hope joe morrow and colin miller develop into adequet 3rd pair guys... both are gifted puck movers with decent size

chara provides tons of size for 2 seaons but once hes gone this group looks a bit small. sliding enstrom onto that top pair after chara is gone scares me

enstrom would be a talent upgrade... but the contract combind with the size combind with being a lhs tells me no

Gabe Kupari

Jul 11, 2013
Winter is Coming
I'm a Jets fan and I'll just say this. I feel Enstrom is a good player. I feel hes a legit top 4 d man. He's very good defensively. Extremely good. I also feel that he probably isn't a part of the jets future. I think he's a guy that perhaps with a change of scenery to an eastern conference team would extend his career a wee bit longer. I think he's honestly to small for the west. I'd consider moving him as a jets fan. I think a team that is trying to win now would be the best bet. Pittsburgh. Detroit. These are teams I could see having interest in him and it wouldn't surprise me if he is indeed dealt to a playoff bound team at the deadline.

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
I like Enstrom and if he could shift to the right side then I'd pony up form him as he's the kind of solid veteran d-man I want the Bruins to acquire. Someone to pair with Chara at times, that isn't going to make a bunch of youthful mistakes. Just someone that can hold the fort for the next couple years while (hopefully) their recent picks develop. But the left side isn't nearly as much of a concern.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad